Dropped off my 3 at the dealer this morning

goldwing2000

Turd in the punch bowl
:
2004 Mazda3s Hatch; 269,000 miles
Since I just ticked over 30,000, I slapped the stock air box back on and gave them a laundry list of things to check out.

Items with a TSB:
A/C Poor performance
Engine Vibration
Knocking in the front suspension
Seatbelt minder deactivation

Non-TSB items:
Noisy A/C Compressor
Sulfur smell from exhaust (plugged cat at 30K??)
Oil change (hey, I had a coupon)

I thought about having them do the 30K service but I looked at the list of recommended items and didn't see anything I needed to pay them $380 (with coupon) to do. It's all just "inspect this" and "adjust that". I can do that myself.

So... let's see what happens. I got a damn land yacht F-150 as a loaner, so hopefully it won't take too long.

Keep us posted on some of the stuff. I am especially concerned with the knocking in the front suspension and sulfur exhaust

What's the TSB for the A/C? My girlfriend has a 3 and we always thought it was just the hot Florida weather that made it seem like it wasn't cool enough. I could not find free access to TSB's onlline. Thanks.

Thanks. Thats what I get for not searching the forum first. I used yahoo. She has a 2005 though. But maybe its a carry over problem. Appreciate the link.

Actually, I think the 2005s have already addressed the concern. I heard that they were doing the TSB repair in the factory.

I'm sure the A/C system still sucks overall but I want to squeak out every advantage I can before the warranty is up.

goldwing2000 said:
Actually, I think the 2005s have already addressed the concern. I heard that they were doing the TSB repair in the factory.

I'm sure the A/C system still sucks overall but I want to squeak out every advantage I can before the warranty is up.

AC problems with the 2005's? Damn. I'll keep an eye out if I notice anything here at my dealership. I also have a slight concern because I own a 3, too, so I don't want to have to worry about problematic parts.

The "fix" is just a baffle plate and a cabin filter to diffuse the air flow.

The A/C system is a notorious under-achiever, so I can't imagine this helps out all that much.

goldwing2000 said:
The "fix" is just a baffle plate and a cabin filter to diffuse the air flow.

So basically, cut some air flow and throw in something to dull down the noise. Sounds about the same as using duct tape on a broken hose for a fix.

More or less. Duct tape, band-aid, pick your euphemism.
The theory is that the air wasn't flowing through the entire evap core, so they added the baffle and filter to help disperse it and utilize more surface area.

The added benefit is less dust from the HVAC system but the downside is an added maintenance item (one that isn't very easy to get to).

Haven't heard anything since Monday, so I gave them a call just now.

The SA said they were waiting on some parts that are supposed to arrive today and the car should be ready by tomorrow afternoon. He gave no indication that there were any problems or issues.

We'll see.

Is it tomorrow afternoon yet? I'm getting a little anxious, I don't like seeing other people's 3's in the shop.

Yeah, tomorrow afternoon has come and gone. Apparently, after ordering the TSB parts for the upper strut mounts, they found some more broken parts in there. They are going to have it all weekend.

Unfortunately for them, I'm going on vacation tomorrow morning. I told them that they were going to get stuck paying for nine additional days of rental car just to have it sit in my driveway.

The service manager wasn't real happy about that, so he's actually going to drive my car back to my house when it's done and pick up the loaner/rental. (yippee)

goldwing2000 said:

havent had any problems with my a/c yet. it blows hard and cold

Knocky suspension

What was the knock in the suspension? And why on earth did it require parts?

I ask because I have a groan that occurs when I am maneuvering in a parking lot or going over a large bump. It only seems to happen at low (parking lot) speeds and I've always associated it with grippy tires making a vibration that got transmitted as a groan. The tech didn't seem to notice anything out of the ordinary at my 30K visit (I... got the 30K service, because I am a techy n00b like that (sad1)) but I guess I want to make sure our noises were dissimilar before something strut-ish blew up on me.

In other news... how the heck did I surpass you in mileage!?... Well, the fact that I was in Detroit last month probably had something to do with it... (BTW, ATL<->DTW is only about a 10 hour trip if you only stop for gas)

I have the '05 and I've noticed my A/C seemed to be slacking at times, so apparently the band-aid didn't work so well.. I think the A/C in my 9-year old POS Eagle Talon was colder than the 3 is..

I too thought it was just the hot Florida weather and that the A/C was really doing its job but I just couldn't tell.. This makes me realize I wasn't crazy!

Has anybody actually taken this issue to the dealership and had it fixed FOR REAL? (No temporary fixes/duct tape/band-aids Lol)..

Thanks guys..

Last edited:
Back