DRL not turning off with parking brake (2014 CX-9)

Hello all,

tried to search for the problem but didnt find any answer.

My 2014 CX9 doesnt turn off the DRL anymore with press or the foot parking brake. Not sure what could that be, and before I drag myself into having it checked professionally, I wanted to know the reason so I can remedy it (either by self or professionally).

What could have gone wrong here?

didn't even know that was a feature and never even used the parking brake... Does the light comes on in the dash when you apply the parking brake? If not than it might be switch related, otherwise, no clue

hi thank you for your reply.

All lights on the dash is normal. Its the DRL lamp inside my headlamp that stop responding and is always on. Usually, when you press the parking brake (foot brake) it turns off. Now its just on all the time until I turn off the entire car via ignition.

ok but usually when you put the parking brake on, does that trigger a light in the dash to warn you the parking brake is on? never even tried it...

Take a look under your dashboard. Is there a switch at the park brake lever? Does it have a plunger that is supposed to be pressed in by the park brake lever? Does it contact the lever? Does it push in smoothly? If so, perhaps the innards of the switch have retired and you need a new switch assembly. I don't know your car. Take a look for yourself and see what's there.

Agree with @PTguy, likely a switch or relay in the circuit that is no longer functioning. With that info you could take it to a shop and they could confirm the diagnosis and/or perform the repair.

Could it be a setting change in the menus? I am not sure for 2014s, but gen 2 (2016 and up) have settings that allow the light to stay on for a while after parking.

Also, are your lights set to Auto ?

I have never heard of a car that turns off DRL when using the parking brake though, but maybe the 2014 CX-9 had that quirky feature.

I've had cars where pushing the parking brake pedal down one click was enough to shut off the DRLs but not actually engage the brake. This is great for night use at inspection gates, ferry loading and other places that don't want any lights in the eyes of the attendants. Parking lights are usually OK.

Back