drain plug ??

Don.Eich

:
2015 CX 5 GT
I change my own oil every other change dealer gets other for warranty reasons anyone know size of washer used I will make my own ??

I would just buy them from the dealer for a few bucks. If they could prove they are home made and you have a warranty issue they would likely try void the warranty. I've been machining for 13 years and yeah, it sucks since they would take 30 seconds on a lathe. But not worth the hassle if an issue came up. I assume the originals are stamped which would be a noticeable difference. Unless you are stamping them?

OEM washers are soft aluminum and are not considered "crush" washers" as they are not folded over with a crushable double layer. Hope I said that correctly. I would buy one new one for ~ $1 and measure it. Then find a piece of "soft" aluminum. Aluminum with a T like 6061-T6 will not work well. Not sure you can find a soft varity for turning. ed

Just a comment - you say that you are taking the car to the dealer for every other change for warranty reasons? There is NO legal reason (at least in the US) to go to the dealer for any work. If you have receipts showing that you bought appropriate oil & filter when doing it yourself (or receipts from another service provider), there is no warranty issue. I've never heard of anyone ever having a manufacturer successfully challenge oil changes with proper documentation.
And making your own washer to save less than $1 per washer seems like taking an unnecessary chance. Homemade parts may indeed likely void the warranty if there's an issue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 177
My dealer usually throws one in for free when I get a filter from them. You can get a pack from Oil Tite for a few bucks at any parts store, copper or aluminum. Can't see how it would be cheaper for you to make your own considering time and material, but to each his own.

Back