Downsized to the 16" wheel - much better ride!

golftango

:
2009 Mazda5 GT
Local dealer had a set of 2012 5 knock-offs for sale with less than 3K miles. Decided to go from the stock 17"s to the 16" for a better ride/comfort. While the 17"s looked a bit better, I'll take function over form.

6b7ca4ab.jpg

1c3e922b.jpg

Only other downside is the rubber, Turanza EL400s. Since they are new, I'll run them a season, then next summer replace them with some better tires.

Couldn't agree more. I like the 17s better 10% of the time and the 16s better 90% of the time. If the 2012 Sport didn't come with 16s I was going to buy a Subaru. How much were the wheels/tires? I've been trying to find a set so I can run the stock tires in the winter.

I've thought about doing this too, especially when I pay for tires. I can't understand why Mazda put 205/50/17's on a minivan, as 120+ dollar tires are tough to swallow every 30-35k. One of things that has held me back is speedometer/odometer error. Have you noticed a difference?

Nice... sidewalls. Lol I kid, I run on 16" black steel wheels in the winter. :)

The sales manager is a good friend of mine, so I got a "friend" price. Let's say less than $200. I kept my old wheels/tires, may put winter rubber on them. The speedo is dead accurate according to my GPS. The diameter is the same, so there is no variance.

That's pretty funny, using the 17" wheels for the winter tire and the 16" wheels for the rest of the year - that's opposite of how it's normally done but it makes sense in your case.

Anyway, I priced out some 16” wheels / tires at tirerack, the price came out to right at $1,400 delivered.

Wheels: 4 @ $90 = $360
Tires: 4 for about $570 (Michelins, with 60,000 or 70,000 mile life expectency)
TPMS for all four tires: $360
Shipping: $110

Free mounting / balancing.

Compare that to about $750 to $800 for four new 17” tires, mounted at my local Discount Tire.

What it boils down to is whether I think that I’ll own this car long enough to replace the wheels twice (or more). If so, then the new wheel / tire combo makes sense at this time, if not then four new 17” wheels makes sense. Normally it would be a no-brainer but frankly the question is whether I would be keeping the Mazda5 if there is a change in my marital status.

Last edited:
That's pretty funny, using the 17" wheels for the winter tire and the 16" wheels for the rest of the year - that's opposite of how it's normally done but it makes sense in your case.

Yeah, I know. Most likely I'll throw the 17"s on CL, they have some pretty bad curb hits from the previous owner. Then get some 16" steelies for the winter.

Compare that to about $750 to $800 for four new 17” tires, mounted at my local Discount Tire.

OUCH! I got the BFG G-Force set for a bit over $600 - at Discount Tire last year. The crappy Falken Ziex junk that was on in when I bought it were $105/tire at Discount when I priced out the BFGs. The BFGs were about $120 per.

Where the heck are you getting your tires? Bridgestone RE760 in 225/40R18 can be had in Costco CANADA (where tires typically cost 25 to 50% more than the US) is $800 installed + taxes. $740 if I go with 215/45R18s.

I think he meant the new/different tires on the 16" rim provide better MPG. The 16s will prob weight a little less therefore have less unsprung weight but this should be negaligible (assuming same weight tires) in most diving conditiond except extreme stop and go patterns. The are formulas to calc this.

Doesn't that have more to do with the stickiness of the tire?

My argument was that if the tire was narrower than less contact patch. However they are both 205s, so it is moot.

However, if the replacement rubber was a harder compound and a "low rolling resistance" branded tire, then you may see a benefit.

Typically, 205s with a taller sidewall will have a smaller contact patch than the 205 low profile, but I can assure you, unless your driving style makes you able get mpgs far better than EPA specs, you won't notice a mpg increase at all. Technically, you should increase your braking distance as well, but, likewise, by such a small amount that inconsistancies in driver reaction will make in unnoticable.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I also would like to put 16" wheels on my 2013 Mazda5 Touring to get a better ride..

A few questions to those who've done it :
- In case some 16" wheels may have problems with mechanical fit or TPMS, I'd like to hear which brand/model of wheels worked for you..
- Regarding TMPS sensors, can I simply move the sensors from the stock 17" wheels to new 16" wheels?
- For tirerack, it seems that we can choose either 16x6.5, 16x7.0, or 16x7.5. Which one is best?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back