Downpipe Installation Instructions

I just picked up my MS3 today and need to buy a DP and catback. I have not been able to find any instructions on the net as I want to do this myself (no tuners I trust). I can turn a good wrench but want to get ready for teh installation.

I havent decided on a DP or CBE combination but I do want to keep a cat in there somewhere and not throw CEL lights. Any thoughts?

installation for the ms3 with the dp is prob one of teh hardest/frustrating thing to do.....

I suggest to get the CPE dp cuz it replaces both the dp and the racepipe thing and comes catted or catless...

Are you looking for sound off the Catback? cuz catback imo doesnt do anything but add depth to the sound of ur car.

its a fairly straight forward proccess. warm up engine drive around for ten minutes, take off intercooler. take out top o2 sensor carfully aviod stripping threads, remove heat shields from manifold and downpipe, loosten bolts from DP to turbo, jack up car, remove bracing under car, remove midpipe, remove bracket holding downpipe to car, unplug the 2nd o2 sensor, remove bolts attaching downpipe to turbo. carefully pull DP out the botom (dont tear heat shield), remove 2nd o2 sensor, drink a beer. insert new DP, anti sieze turbo bolts, snug all down at same time if you do one at a time you will end up with one not tightning. insert o2 sensors. attach midpipe, reinstall braceing. reinstall TMIC, reconect battary, run a couple of cey cycles before WOT.

The catback is purely for sound. I know, no real gains. I am trying to find local suppliers in Edmonton who have at least worked on a Mazda. They tend to do the Honda thing around here it seems.

I've swapped transmissions and other major components so I am game and would prefer to do it myself as I can strip a thread better than a tuner shop can. At least I would know if I did it.....

I see CP and Corksport mentioned a lot. I see Turbo xs may have had QC issues in the past. I don't care ho much I spend, I want good quality as I prefer to do this once.

Do you have objective opinions on the various brands of DP's?

I like thre greddy Tic exhaust sound but have heard other good sounding exhaust. I want to stay away from drone if I can as I had a 07 Mustang that had wicked drone at 2000 rpm with a Magnaflow. Different animal, i know.

I only have 50 kilometers on the car right now but I need to decide quick so I can order parts.

Thanks for your input!

I don't care ho much I spend, I want good quality as I prefer to do this once.

Get the CP-E Downpipe then, it costs more, performs as good as the TurboXS, and fits your bill , which is "I don't care how much I spend".

Now, my recommendation is calling http://www.jscspeed.com/ and having them order you the TurboXS Stealthback, it's $350 shipped and it performs the same as the CP-E, which is almost $700 for the catted version.(braindead

its a fairly straight forward proccess. warm up engine drive around for ten minutes, take off intercooler. take out top o2 sensor carfully aviod stripping threads, remove heat shields from manifold and downpipe, loosten bolts from DP to turbo, jack up car, remove bracing under car, remove midpipe, remove bracket holding downpipe to car, unplug the 2nd o2 sensor, remove bolts attaching downpipe to turbo. carefully pull DP out the botom (dont tear heat shield), remove 2nd o2 sensor, drink a beer. insert new DP, anti sieze turbo bolts, snug all down at same time if you do one at a time you will end up with one not tightning. insert o2 sensors. attach midpipe, reinstall braceing. reinstall TMIC, reconect battary, run a couple of cey cycles before WOT.

You're missing a few steps that you show only one of that my version shows to repeat several times...

Drink a beer
Drink a beer
Drink a beer
Drink a beer
Drink a beer

Put them in where ever they can be fit in the instructions posted by dkswim.

Of course you may need to wait until the next day for a test drive, depending on body weight and how long it takes you.(drunk)(laugh)

Now, my recommendation is calling http://www.jscspeed.com/ and having them order you the TurboXS Stealthback, it's $350 shipped and it performs the same as the CP-E, which is almost $700 for the catted version.(braindead

Awwwww man, what the hell? I didn't see the down pipe on their site!?!?!?! I still don't. It's $20-$30 cheaper than what I paid. (bangs head on wall)

Edit Found it, damn it... All I thought they had was the main Mazdaspeed 3 page. I never used their search function before. Not sure why it doesn't come up on the MS3 page of their site.

Last edited:
Be careful when removing the WD O2 and the 2nd O2...you will strip the threads!! Use plenty of penetrant and you'll have to loosen and tighten, loosen and tighten, basically working it out slowly... This is the worst part of the job; at least for the WD O2.

In my opinion, the CBE is definitely worth it. The stock piping is tiny compare to an upgraded DP. The CBE was the last mod in my car and it made a huge difference...to the point that if affected my AFRs...

ne1 have the TurboXS Stealthback w/ the stock catback? I'm curious how much louder it is?

I originally was very against getting a DP b/c of the hassle of installation/de-installation when going to the dealer -- but I might have found a cool dealership, so I might be considering it. I've read about smoking turbos as a result of aftermarket DPs...whats the deal with that? Is it avoidable? Or luck of the draw?

Regarding smoke...depends on your production year...
2007 is a luck of the draw...
2008 and 2008.5, you're pretty safe; with an odd ball chance of smoking.

In my opinion, the CBE is definitely worth it. The stock piping is tiny compare to an upgraded DP. The CBE was the last mod in my car and it made a huge difference...to the point that if affected my AFRs...

I think this statement is pretty much bulls***.

I think this statement is pretty much bulls***.

Really? Tell that to my AFRs...that started to raise above 12s...and also started experiencing fuel pressure drop. None of which I ever experienced before the CBE.

Still don't think the stock CBE is restricting flow (3" going into 2.3")?

DSC02367.jpg

DSC02558.jpg

Believe what you want... Maybe my car is a freak or something...but I had to buy a fuel pump to get rid of my issues...

If you are stock, yes I agree the CBE will not do much... But if you are wide open everywhere else...I guarantee you your CBE is causing a blockage.

Still don't think the stock CBE is restricting flow (3" going into 2.3")?

The Mazdaspeed 3 stock exhaust is 2.25 to 2.75, as said before, I highly doubt the stock catback is going to make a difference , only exhaust note......After the downpipe and midpipe is opened up, the catback size is good enough for our little motor.

if everything is 3 inch and the last part is smaller (2.25 to 2.75 as you say) it WILL make a difference. it is the bottleneck of the system and opening it up will greatly improve flow especially on a forced induction motor. the less backpressure after the turbo the better. if you just get a catback alone it wont do anything but change the sound of your exhaust but when you add it to a DP/RP to create a full system it will make a noticeable difference

The Mazdaspeed 3 stock exhaust is 2.25 to 2.75, as said before, I highly doubt the stock catback is going to make a difference , only exhaust note......After the downpipe and midpipe is opened up, the catback size is good enough for our little motor.

"good enough" isnt good enough.

if you just get a catback alone it wont do anything but change the sound of your exhaust but when you add it to a DP/RP to create a full system it will make a noticeable difference

Do you even know what the catback exhaust is intended for? It is not for performance increase, it's primarily for acoustics and exhaust note. After the downpipe and midpipe, the restriction is NO longer there, just because the diameter of the catback is slightly smaller, it doesn't mean it's going to yield higher hp/tq if opened up. Your argument makes it seem as if a 5" catback would yield incredible gains on a turbocharged engine! It will not.

This topic has been beat to hell on previous cars that I have had, which were NA. I'll be generous and say maybe 1-2HP if any at all, for a catback exhaust system on this car.

Prove it or lose it, (boom02) and I can't prove it, neither can you unless you got dyno numbers to prove otherwise, we're all just hearsay, and I can gurantee you that 1-2hp is definitely not cost-effective in terms of $$ per hp/tq.

Last edited:
i wish i can run w/o a catback soo its like VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM... lol but then again it would get annoying quick

corksport sends a cdrom for install and u can call them, very helpful. I suggest getting a new gasket too. I had a small exhaust leak when i used stock gasket

Back