Downpipe and Cabin Noise

AutoEuphoria

:
'08 CPW Mazdaspeed 3
I installed the Corksport test pipe over the weekend, and am decently happy with the results. The power seems to be a little higher, and the exhaust sounds a little throatier. Always thinking to the next step, I was looking at the Corksport downpipe. However, my major dilemma with this step is that I don't want the exhaust drone to be too loud inside the car. I've had cars where I couldn't even think because the exhaust was so loud on the inside. I could really care less how loud it is on the outside...I think the MS3 has a really nice sounding exhaust note (especially for an I4). However, I just don't want it to be really loud on the inside...not at this point, anyway.

So, just asking how much louder a downpipe makes the exhaust as heard from the inside with the windows up. Does it drone? Can you still easily communicate without having to raise your voice?

Hopefully I'll have my corksport dp installed by the end of this week and I'll let you know how it is.

I have the downpipe and testpipe, both corksport, but they went in at the same time. It is noticeably bassy inside the car at all times except idle or cruising with just a touch of throttle. Honestly, you can get used to it. The nice rumble and power increase are all worth the bit of cabin noise you get. Of course, people riding in the car notice, they're like, whats that?

I have had to raise my voice just slightly at times. It's not overpowering though.

I personally only have the CS test pipe installed, although I've been in MS3s with the DP/TP combo and the DP definitely increases cabin noise more than the TP -- I heardly noticed it with the TP. But I don't think it would really become a hinderance to thought or conversation (but then again my last car had an exhaust so loud that you had to yell to the other people in the car in order for them to hear you -- I'll never do that again).

Overall the exhaust will be louder, and deeper/throatier but I don't think it will be a nuisance. Plus absolute worst case scenario, if you really hate it that much -- it's nothing a little sound deadening couldn't help...

^^

I was just trying to make sure everyone realizes there is a volume increase, although it is slight and mainly in the low bassy vibrating kind of sound. Everyone told me it would not make any difference inside the cabin. Just making sure everyone knows the real deal.

But yeah, I hardly notice it anymore except droning when slowing down in gear and stuff like that.

Do you have any before/after dyno numbers?

Thanks,

-Paul
08.5 MS3 (true red); 1998 Panoz AIV

I'm sure someone does. I only have butt dyno numbers that say WOW. Even with the cs mm inserts, if I wot in second gear I lose traction instantly and the torque steer tries to throw the car off the road. The truth is in the results!

i saw one of these on the road yesterday. idk what year it was

Do you know what color it was? There are two version that are similiar looking, the pre 1996 Roadster and the 96-99 AIV Roadster. Mine is a 98 AIV Roadster.

DP and MP no catback my exhaust was quieter then my CAI or SRI. now with full turbo back i can here the exhaust

Do you have any before/after dyno numbers?

Thanks,

-Paul
08.5 MS3 (true red); 1998 Panoz AIV

I will try to get a dyno done after I get my do installed. It's out for delivery now. Will b installed tomorrow morning and hopefully dynoed later that afternoon.

I will try to get a dyno done after I get my do installed. It's out for delivery now. Will b installed tomorrow morning and hopefully dynoed later that afternoon.

Great. I look forward to seeing the numbers.

-Paul
08.5 MS3 (true red); Panoz AIV

so i just got home and im lookin at the dp and it looks mighty pretty... i also looked at the installation guide and it looks pretty difficult. a rather long job.. i cant wait. i should be installed it tomorrow at like 10am finished hopefully by noon or 1 in the afternoon. go for a test drive to the dyno and see what kind of numbers its putting down. ill take pics as i install it and upload it to the link in my sig.

so i finished the install yetserday. took a lot longer than i expected it to. started at abuot 1 or 2 in the afternoon and didnt finish till 8 ish... ran into some problems with the studs for the dp going to the turbo coming out and getting stripped. had to pull the turbo and everything to re tap the holes and go out and buy new studs to replace the old ones. and there were slight fittment issues with the donut gasket being just a little bit too big for my test pipe. but anyways. im done now. and im pretty happy with it. theres definately a loss of back pressure but can feel the power gain at higher rpms. tires definately loose traction in second gear. the sound of the dp in the cabin is not bad at all. well for me at least... i work on helicopters so my hearing is not so good already. its throatier almost sounds like a sti. imo. when you get on the throttle and look in the rear view mirror youll see some smoke come out but its not much. its just cause theres no restrictions now. over all a good piece. out of 5 starts id give it 3.9 to 4.1.

Great. I look forward to seeing the numbers.

-Paul
08.5 MS3 (true red); Panoz AIV

sorry no dyno yet. saturday we got got done too late to hit up a dyno. sunday their closed and monday labor day so they are closed again and teusday i gotta work. but.. as soon as i get a chance i will dyno and post up numbers. sorry to keep you in any kind of suspense. definately noticeing a big increase in power and sound. hopefully ill be in the 280hp and 300tq range at the wheels.

I have been hearing that I might not have the turbo spoolin' sounds cause of the divorced wastegate design, which pisses me off cause I am obsessed with sounds and wanted the spool sounds. If anyone wants to swap cs for turbo xs, let me know ;)

so im gonna hear my spool more when i install my turboxs DP/RP? and will i hear my turbo out the back of the exhaust, cause thats all I want too.. haha

Back