Door sills

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Chas,
I have these. I made the mistake of not adding extra 3M tape (highly recommend!) - only put them on with what they came with, and one (rear passenger) came off a month or two later because my 9-year old uses that door. Others are ok but maybe that's because I am careful not to step on it and I rarely have front passengers. They do "curl over" and it looks nice; I have not noticed any door seal interference. Hope this helps!

Wiring the LED door Sills

Does anyone know the proper wires to wire the LED Door sills to? I found a cool wiring schematic (http://am.mazdaserviceinfo.com/emaz...s/SM/2013/CX5/mv/books/mvd09/html/0918_8.html) but could not find the proper wires. There is a harness under the steering wheel that when removed will turn off the dome lights, however, there were three wires in that harness that where hot, so I tried wiring to them, but then the door sills never turned off. Someone said to find the dome light ground wire, but i'm not sure why that would be necessary. If anyone could please assist Im sure I would not be the only one who would appreciate this. Thanks much.

Does anyone know the proper wires to wire the LED Door sills to? I found a cool wiring schematic (http://am.mazdaserviceinfo.com/emaz...s/SM/2013/CX5/mv/books/mvd09/html/0918_8.html) but could not find the proper wires. There is a harness under the steering wheel that when removed will turn off the dome lights, however, there were three wires in that harness that where hot, so I tried wiring to them, but then the door sills never turned off. Someone said to find the dome light ground wire, but i'm not sure why that would be necessary. If anyone could please assist Im sure I would not be the only one who would appreciate this. Thanks much.
These circuits are probably switched-ground. Power (+12V) is applied all the time, and the ground is 'switched' (actually 'faded') 'on' and 'off' to turn the lights on and off.

+1 i would very much appreciate it also if someone that knows the correct method in wiring this mod would chime in

it looks like its the blue/white wire on connector 0918-801 but I still would like to understand, where is the actual wire/harness and which parts of the interior plastics I need to take off. Also, my car is right hand drive so would the harness be on left side like on the US cars or right side? Hmm

it looks like its the blue/white wire on connector 0918-801 but I still would like to understand, where is the actual wire/harness and which parts of the interior plastics I need to take off. Also, my car is right hand drive so would the harness be on left side like on the US cars or right side? Hmm …
OK. I did not install mine so I don't know what exactly is tapped into. I just know it's on the fuse box. I'll try to look tomorrow and see if I can identify which node they used ( I also have switchable ambient lights added so I may not be able to tell which is which). Like baron said, I remember the guy saying he used a ground to fade the lights. You can also use a relay, which was my original installation, but because they used an electro magnetic relay it made noise when it went off. After I complained about this another tech looked a it and wired it the better method, using the ground. In short, if you need to you can use a relay; just make sure you get a solid state 5 pin 12v relay, or you will hear buzzing when the lights fade.

Thanks for the reply.

I don’t have the footwell lights so I don’t really need the relay for the sill LEDs to fade out. I can see how nice feature that would be for the footwell lights though.

I have a look on the fuse box layout and the fuse for the interior lightning is in the engine compartment, not in the one inside the car (there are two fuse boxes) so I don’t think I can wire it up to that.

I had a look a the various schematics in the above link but it does not really show clearly which part of the plastic do I need to remove to access the harness which carries the blue/white cable I need to tap into. I will have a look simply under the dash if I can see any harness cables there , fingers crossed there will be one with blue/white cable !

ok, so I wanted to give it a go tonight using a voltmeter to find out, where can I tap into power.

I am really struggling.

I checked two harnesses, one close to driver side feet and one under the door sill plastic cover. They both have white/blue and brown and violet color cables however, NONE seem to carry any power. I used one of the metal nuts as ground and checked all three wires while the switch on top lights is set to "door".

I am really struggling here, can someone help ?

here is a pic of diagram I followed and harnesses/cables I was tapping into - click on the photo to see bigger picture:

How to wire led door sills

Just want to let everyone know, that i will be composing a post on the thread i started in the how to section on how to wire these led door sills. I have some pics that I will try to include.

Omarko, you are in the wrong place. I tried there a couple of weeks ago and the best I could do was to get them to turn on, but could not get them to turn off. Make sure you print that wiring diagram. Pages 2 and 3 are more helpful but I only ever could get page 1 to show on my computer screen.

THE POST IS UP...I will accept all forms of gifts...lol....http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123830899-How-to-wire-LED-Door-Sills

Last edited:
Question: those with led door sills, would it be possible to change out the
Color with your own custom led panel? Just wondering how the set up of the LEDs were. Thinking Id buying a set but changing them to a different color

I ordered door sills from ebay ($25), and the two longer pieces for the fronts were all bent here and there. I probably can't straighten it out unless I take off the bonded rubber trims and then I would still need a big steel work table and mallet or something to flatten it, but even then it would be hard to do because the letters are there.

I don't think these were damaged during transportation but from low quality manufacturing.

edit: I ended up putting 3M automotive film over the places I wanted protected. Looks much better than the ebay door sill too. I threw away the ebay door sill crap.

Last edited:
I got the factory set, and now I have some regrets. The plate doesn't extend all the way to the outboard edge of the door sill, which means the sill outside edge isn't covered which I consider to be the most vulnerable spot. Many of the ones I see on this thread have the same problem, but it looks like the eBay set in post #10 of this thread does wrap the outside sill edge.

Back