Door remotes work only sometimes...and it's not the batteries.

peelerboy

:
2003 Protege5
Hi guys! I recently picked up a 2003 Mazda Protege. It has its two factory key fob/remotes, but they only work sometimes. The previous owner said she had replaced batteries in the remotes several times and it never seemed to make a difference.

So I replaced the batteries myself only to learn the fobs still wouldn't work. I let one of my daughters use the car and she claimed the remote functioned fine! Baffled, I went out and tried it myself and sure enough... the remotes were working! (completely out of the blue) I took the car to the store, attempted to lock the doors with the fob and guess what?... it stopped working again.

When the car decides the remotes are allowed to work, BOTH remotes work fine. When it decides it's time to put a halt to such convenience, BOTH remotes cease functioning at the same time.

Over the last month of ownership of the car, everything about it acts and performs perfectly... except for the door remotes. It's a crapshoot.

Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!!

My remote does the same thing (I only have one). I replaced the battery too and thought I had problems because I bought cheap ones at the dollar store (3 for a dollar instead of $8 for a single energizer)

At least I know now not to waste $8 on a "good" battery.

I do know that you have to push and hold the button for a split second,.. a quick push doesn't work. I'm thinking it may have to do with security somehow,.. the car might think an "unauthorized" user is trying to get in your car ??? I dunno ??

You should repost your question in the P5 section,... there's a lot more people there. (after all, you've got a P5)

Back