Door lock problems...are they common?

SoCalMP5

:
02 P5
I guess I'm not good with the search engine on this site, but I did try! (braindead

A couple door locks are acting funny...the passenger side rear doesn't lock/unlock with the remote anymore; I have to do it manually. And the driver's door lock seems like it's not adjusted right...it still works with the remote, but it seems like it's always "up" a little higher than it should be, and feels a little "sticky" and like there's less of a range of motion when I operate it manually.

Are either of these common issues? And are the door cards easy to get off without destroying them? If you have any tips on what to check first, please let me know. Thanks!

I heard that the piece that rotates the actuator breaks quite often.. does it make a sound when you push the lock/unlock button?

I haven't noticed actually, but I'll try it tomorrow and see if i can hear anything. Any idea on cost or difficulty to replace?

Well I had the famous noise when the locks would lock/unlock. I just recently bought all 4 gears that go in the lock mechanisms. Three were broken and one was still good. I also bought them for my brothers P5. Search on Ebay, you will find them.

The actuators are all in the 40.00 range from onlinemazdaparts dot com. They are different part numbers. Talk to Jason there, he will hook you up. You can also just get the plastic gear that breaks inside the actuator cheap off ebay instead of replacing the whole actuator. The door panels are easy to remove and the plastic with the tar strip is the worse thing to deal with swapping these out. Search on actuator, many threads.................

I have a PDF that has the instructions on taking off the door panels.

Last edited:
Ebay for $14 and apparently the ones that he's selling are made of a tougher plastic so it doesn't break as easily. I've been meaning to order them for months.. never get around to it haha. I just unplugged my motors in the back two doors. problem (kinda) solved.

Best Mod I have ever done thus far. Feels good to have all the door locks just work when they are suppose to LOL.

Just finished repairing my right rear door lock with one of these gear kits.

All in all a pretty straight forward job, the only problem is getting that door handle off, when everyone says you have to pull hard, they are not kidding. There is a small indentation on the lower front seam of the door pull handle, get a straight bladed screwdriver into that slot and push up on the spring clip hidden there then pull up on the front of the handle hard and it should pop off revealing the last two screws holding the door panel on.

To remove the lock, a power driver broke the Philips head screws loose. I removed the power unit and took it inside for repair. There are 2 springs and 2 bushings inside the assembly that have to be transferred from the old part to the new. I had a lot of trouble getting it all assembled, and I am a clockmaker, springs and small parts are usually not a problem for me. After a bit of fiddling and compressing the spring on the gear side of the shaft with needle nose pliers I finally got it all to settle into place. It all worked first time after I got it reassembled.

I would definitely do this repair again, still have 3 more doors with original parts in them so I just may be doing it again in the future.

use care when opening the actuator. When I opened mine and touched it the springs, collar, and 2 pieces of the gear all went in different directions. (eyeballs)

The hardest part for me was re-installing the actuator.

It's actually pretty simple but yes, watch out when you open the housing, they may pop out. Mine didn't but they may. When you go back in to installing the gear with the center slide ring, springs and collars, start by placing the non-gear side down in the slot first and then compressing the end of the spring closest to the gear with your nail while placing the gear in at the same time. Remember to make sure the center slide ring is in the center as much as possible when doing so just to keep everything even. I wish I would have done a how too but I gave away my last actuator to someone on the forum.

Last edited:
my right rear door lock gear broke a couple of months ago and makes an awful grinding sound when locked or unlocked.

Yea for me it's was more of a motor spinning sound due to the gear just spinning inside but multiply that times three LOL.

Back