Door Bump Guards

Strata

:
Mazda Protege 5
The bump guards on the sides of the P5...how are they removed? also is there any holes or anything behind them that need to be filled or something? because im thinking about having my car put into the body shop to have the pin stripping removed, the door bump guards taken off and having my urethane dgm front lip painted and installed...if you have any pics of a p5 with the guards removed please post em I would like to see..the idea is just up in the air..about the guards that is

thank you very much

they just peal off and then u spend quite a bit of time removing all the gunk that was holding them on, there is no holes behind them

actually ive heard alot of good things about removing them its not hard at all just time consuming is the thing. i guess theres some 3m stuff that ppl use kinda like the goo gone but a lil different if i remeber right.

me personally i just prefer the look of having them on, but i might take them off one day

looks good on or off.. but they do serve it's purpose well.. b/c mine is pretty scuffed up from ppl who just dun care bout other ppls cars when opening their doors..

i like them off, looks a bit cleaner i think...

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 185
okay

Attachments

• car 009.jpg
    car 009.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 171
  • car 008.jpg
    car 008.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 159
  • trucs1.jpg
    trucs1.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 154
it is 3m adhesive remover and a sore ass thumb. i used heat to soften the glue then pulled them off little by little.... then just soak the glue with adhesive remover and start taking it off with your nail or thumb. it takes a while but isn't hard. here is a pic of a black one with the sides removed......

Attachments

• 100_0077.jpg
    100_0077.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 163
ya i was just using my thumbs until a huge ass blister started to form... but yes a soft rag with adhesive remover will save some of the agony.......:)

well aside from just looking cool I want to take them off because (and its probably my fault) they just become wax traps for me..I use the mothers paste wax and it always gets stuck inbetween the guards and the actual door and it just kinda taunts me because I cant rub it out..

I removed mine. Be prepared for some nice thumb and forefinger blisters. =P But it is worth it, in my oppinion. Makes the car look pretty smooth. In particular, black ones look rockin' with shaved sides.

After seeing the silver P5 without them, mine are coming off. Will try a plastic scraper with 3M adhesive remover.

Man, looks so smooth!

RaiderMP5 said:
After seeing the silver P5 without them, mine are coming off. Will try a plastic scraper with 3M adhesive remover.

Man, looks so smooth!

Use a piece of fishing line. Just slide it in one end and hold the top and bottom then just pull it down the moulding. It will come off so easy you will be amazed.

I've pulled the moulding/emblems off of every car I've ever owned this way. Works like a charm.

And go to an automotive paint supply place to get the remover. Works a ton better than what you can get anywhere else, and no sore thumbs. Just start rubbing it on with a soft rag, and the glue turns to like a jelly and then just comes right off. I had mine all off and glue removed in maybe 1/2 hour, including rewaxing the area.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back