does the o2 sensor non fouler REALLY work?

north42g

:
Mazda Protege5
My 2002 PR5 2.0L is going to need a MA state inspection this month. Trouble is I have a "check engine light"
P0421 - Catalyst efficiancy below threshold.
So I was thinking of installing a Header pipe and the NON-Fouler trick on the rear O2 Sensor. Does it Really work?
I mean , Is it 100% that it works? Massachusetts state inspectionm plugs in through the OBD II port and if there is a DTC code your failed. So before you all say "use the search function" I all ready did. Just looking for someone that has done it and it works hands down.
Thanks.

It does I have had mine for 3,years already with my headers.. went thru inpection twice... As long as they don't do a visual inspection u be ok... In jersey they just do the OBDII test ....

Yes it does work. I just went through emissions about 1 week ago for the first time I have owned my P5 and did the fouler trick as I installed a header on it. My area, when doing an OBD2 equiped vehicle, does the visual CEL light with engine on/off while connected but did not do a visual on the headers. Checked my gas cap and I was on my way happy camper and passed first time. I do have the second cat on still though.

I didn't have to go through emissions as I live in a non-emissions required area but I decided to do it anyways as I drive to work into an emissions required area. Wife had to do her 07 Speed3 so I said "eff it" and went for it as well. I knew I would pass anyways and it was only $12 and change to get it done.

Last edited:
I can vouch that mine, before my swap, had the nonfouler. I still had stock exhaust manifold.

Passed E-Test 2 years in a row before I blew it up and swapped it.

Mine works as well although if you baby it too much the hole will get clogged and trip a cel. If that happens runi it hard for a lil bit and it will go away

Mine works.I have a 90 degree angle one.Know probs with the MOT.sailed through:)

Wow! Didn't think I would get so many responses.....you guys must really care....:)
well that settle's tit hten, I'm going with the header non-fouler move...Ill spoke with Sentry West Mazda of Westborough, MA Yesterday.....they gave mwe a quote of $1021.55!!!! Are you F@*K!N Kidding me!!!

Ummm

This is the kind of install that you DON'T do at a dealer.

I think he may have meant installation of both cats for that price at the dealer.

The one thing I suggest you make sure of is that the EGR bung on the header is at the right location meaning orientation so you have a smooth install. The non-fouler is the easiest thing to do anyways. It should be a simple install really. This should set you back around $100 depending on what brand header you buy. I bought mine for about $80 shipped but I had to re-do the egr bung as it was pointing to far down. Other than that it all went smooth.

Roger I understand his response and I think that the dealer price is actually a good one for the work they are supposed to do

The header O2 fool will pass, there are many members who have done this for years

For the record; I would never bring my car to the Dealer and pay those outrageous prices for parts & labor. The $1000+ cost is for the Front Catalyst, Exhaust Manifold & all needed gaskets / hardware...parts only. (sorry I should've been more clear.The guy at the parts counter was confused when I asked for the the Cat next to the Manifold. I think he thought I ment the manifold also. And I did not.) I got the Dealer estimate in the first place because I try to always use a Factory part when doing a replacement.I generally order factory parts through my work, where I can get a discount on parts because we are a repair shop. I find that they all ways fit better , and usually are of better quality. However, In this case, the Header pipe is an obvious choice.
Does anyone have a reccomendation on what brand header to use? Is there a certain brand that has the EGR Fitting located in the proper place....more so than another brand? I was skimming through ebay the other night and saw that the prices range from $54.95 up to $96.95. Thing is....they all appear to be of the same caliber/quality. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Hello, I'm in Central America, I have the Check light on in the PR5 with the code P0421 and I was thinking to buy a headers from OBX, like this

$(KGrHqR,!lwE8GCBYnseBPNuSqll,w~~60_35.JPG

I see it have the holes for the O2 Sensors, did it works to stop the code? or I need to do the NON-Fouler trick ???

Hello, I'm in Central America, I have the Check light on in the PR5 with the code P0421 and I was thinking to buy a headers from OBX, like this

$(KGrHqR,!lwE8GCBYnseBPNuSqll,w~~60_35.JPG

I see it have the holes for the O2 Sensors, did it works to stop the code? or I need to do the NON-Fouler trick ???

You will need to do the non-fouler on the second/last o2 bung. Works great on mine. I have a Spooled-up header (I think) on my P5. I don't think they are making them any more though.

You will need to do the non-fouler on the second/last o2 bung. Works great on mine. I have a Spooled-up header (I think) on my P5. I don't think they are making them any more though.

Thanks! There are two sellers of headers for pr5 in ebay, what do you think of the OBX? the other ones looks like generic.

That's the header i have danianzueto.You will still have to do the NON-fouler trick i'm afraid.

Back