Does the 2001 shifter bezel fit on a 2000 Pro?

Argie

:
2000 Protege LX
I need to replace my shifter bezel,i came across this one on ebay.
i wonder if it fits.

Nope,the 2001/03 will fit with it's original HVAC unit,the problem is the wiring harness for the 2000 is totally different.
I learned the hard way,bought a 2003 HVAC with bezel,Converted to red LEDs,and at the moment of installing it,guess what?,harness completely different.
So i end up selling it,and painted my 00 bezel silver,got rid of the ugly sotck green bulbs and added red LEDs.
Came up really nice thou.

Nope,the 2001/03 will fit with it's original HVAC unit,the problem is the wiring harness for the 2000 is totally different.
I learned the hard way,bought a 2003 HVAC with bezel,Converted to red LEDs,and at the moment of installing it,guess what?,harness completely different.
So i end up selling it,and painted my 00 bezel silver,got rid of the ugly sotck green bulbs and added red LEDs.
Came up really nice thou.

so how difficult was it to paint your 00 bezel and change to red LEDs. got a link or two for me?

Not really,just time consuming.
I use a 400 grit wet saning paper,then dupli-color gray primer,3 light coats with 1 hour break between coats.
Let it dry overnight and next day i applyed 4 coats of dupli-color Silver# 178,that one matches perfectly with the outside color of my car.
Finally i sprayed 3/4 coats of "clear coat" finisher.
I will post pics tonight,i promise.
As for the HVAC,i replaced the bulbs with 2 #74 LEDs from

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/mini-wedge.html
On the blue side of the A/C i drilled a hole and added a blue 12v 5mm LED that i bought on ebay and connected with a long cable to a resistor i had from a glow gauges that i 've never used.

Here's some pics..

Attachments

• DSC00185.JPG
    DSC00185.JPG
    636.6 KB · Views: 455
  • DSC00186.JPG
    DSC00186.JPG
    380.9 KB · Views: 735
  • DSC00189.JPG
    DSC00189.JPG
    323.6 KB · Views: 724
  • DSC00196.JPG
    DSC00196.JPG
    374 KB · Views: 687
i will post more pics of the interior since this pics don't show the lighted blue side of the HVAC.
To remove the center console of the shifter,you have 2 screws at the bottom front(one each side),2 on the side of each front seat,you will have to remove the front side of the seat cover to access those screws and 2 at the rear of the console,then remove the center piece where the parking brake is and then you lift the rear of the console,very easy.

Back