Does a short throw shifter really make that big of a difference??

opinions on a short throw shifter?

• Faster and more precise shifts?

Votes: 26 68.4%
  • a good driver doesnt really need it?

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • ricer'ish?

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • complete waste of money?

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • worth its weight in gold?

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters

GoFast

Contributor
:
2010 Flyin' Carpet
What do you all think?? I have my own opinion on the subject but i am curious to hear everyone else's from this board. Some say yes, others say no, what about about you??

None of the options in the poll are what I would exactly say. In my opinion, yes more precise shifts, but even if your not going for shifting fast it is just more of a sporty feel to the shifter, more of a fun factor for driving for me.

After having one on my VW, I find it hard to live without. I just enjoy having the shorter throws and more precise shifting. I'm just annoyed that we STILL don't have one available for the MS3.... GRR!!!! WTF???? The OEM shifter is NOT a short shifter, despite what Mazda claims.

Do they make a clinky sound when shifting. I havent installed one on any of my cars because I wasnt sure if you had a metal on metal clicking noise every time you shifted (like in the fast and furious......lol) or whether it was just like the original (soundwise) except much more sporty. If it isnt clicky, I will throw one in asap.
Also, isnt there a Mazdaspeed version? If so, why do most of you choose TWM over the MS version?
Thanks!!

After having one on my VW, I find it hard to live without. I just enjoy having the shorter throws and more precise shifting. I'm just annoyed that we STILL don't have one available for the MS3.... GRR!!!! WTF???? The OEM shifter is NOT a short shifter, despite what Mazda claims.

It's not a short shifter. It's a short throw shifter. The height isn't really affected, only the length of the throws. If you compare the shifter in an MS3 to a regular Mazda3 the throws are ALOT shorter.

Do they make a clinky sound when shifting. I havent installed one on any of my cars because I wasnt sure if you had a metal on metal clicking noise every time you shifted (like in the fast and furious......lol) or whether it was just like the original (soundwise) except much more sporty. If it isnt clicky, I will throw one in asap.
Also, isnt there a Mazdaspeed version? If so, why do most of you choose TWM over the MS version?
Thanks!!

there are only clinky noises if improperly installed or if they are crap shifters. My kartboy kicks ass, was worth every penny and when coupled with kartboy bushings the shifts are faster, more precise, and much less "sloppy" than stock.

i have the kartboy SS

and going 1 to 2 is so stiff. it gets annoying. makes me wanna buy another bushing

The Kartboy shifter and bushings was one of the bes mods I've done to my car. The shifter feel went from feeling like driving a bus to feeling like a sportscar

It's not a short shifter. It's a short throw shifter. The height isn't really affected, only the length of the throws. If you compare the shifter in an MS3 to a regular Mazda3 the throws are ALOT shorter.

That's what I meant. I guess compared to other cars I've driven, it's not a short throw.

I'm really disappointed reading the new thread on TMW's shifter. I DN'T want a stubby shifter. Just shorter throws. You don't have to have both. I don't care for little stubby shifters in my car.

Am i the only one that thinks the stock shifter is fine? EVery1 here bitches about long throws. imho they're not long at all and any shorter would be kinda wierd

Stop complaining and do it your self for free.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123661188

See that's what I've been looking for all along. This is the way the VW short shifters work, by changing the pivot point. no wonder TMW and others have been atking so long. they've been making a SS kit the hard way. All you need to do is...well, maybe I'll jump on it myself. This is a MUCH better way to do it, IMO.

Thanks for the link!!!(friday)

See that's what I've been looking for all along. This is the way the VW short shifters work, by changing the pivot point. no wonder TMW and others have been atking so long. they've been making a SS kit the hard way. All you need to do is...well, maybe I'll jump on it myself. This is a MUCH better way to do it, IMO.

Thanks for the link!!!(friday)

Rotus's way it DEF top notch. (headbang)

this is what the end result can be from his way. We tweaked his design quite a bit and shortened the lever, but you get the jist of it!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/wm/2061e237-49eb-4d68-9121-994b01785795.htm

there are only clinky noises if improperly installed or if they are crap shifters. My kartboy kicks ass, was worth every penny and when coupled with kartboy bushings the shifts are faster, more precise, and much less "sloppy" than stock.

not exactly true. I have a maddog sts with an 80% throw reduction, along
with rod brakes.

a shifter that has rod brakes will make metal on metal noises, but that's how
it's supposed to sound.

just an fyi, glad to hear you are happy with your shifter.

I seem to remember shifters being taller with big rubber bellows type boots on them in the late 80's and early 90's....

Though I have a 3 and not a Speed, I thought I'd chime in.

It doesn't speed up shifts IMHO, as you can only shift as fast as your synchros allow (which is usually slower than you can physically move the stick) so that's your limiting factor. I find that it does tend to increase shifting effort, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if the stick doesn't have as much "weight" to it as you're looking for. I also find it tends to make the shifts feel a bit more positive, by shifting the mechanical advantage away from the shifter so you can better feel what's going on.

I could live without it, but I prefer it if that makes sense. It's a driver feel kind of mod, but if it helps you feel more connected with the car (like it does me) then it's worth it.

I too have an NA Mazda3 with the TWM shifter, w/a heavyweight JBR knob, but this is not my first either.
I have modded shifters and linkage for years before this. It's a trade-off and only you can know whether its the right thing for you and your car.

Advantages: Shorter throws (obviously.) More positive, "sporty" feel. Gets the shifter more out of the way of the console.
Disadvantages: Harder shifting (less mechanical advantage over the trans.) May be harder to reach in the cockpit, and/or over your drink/holder.

As someone else said, a short shifter does not really afford faster shifts. The trans and synchros will limit what you can reasonably do.

And while it is a different scenario altogether, keep in mind that rally cars have tall shifters so the driver doesn't have to search for it, or move to reach it. A shorter shifter is a bit harder to 'find' in certain situations. But if you like the sporty, more direct feel as I and many others do, there's nothing like one.

Back