Does a new battery improve engine performance?

AAA installed a new battery in my 2016.5 which appears to have slightly improved engine smoothness and pick up......am I imagining this?

well I know i will get laughed at but I am going to say it is possible..if you have a really bad battery your alternator has to work over time supply power to every other component and may be your coils are not sending the full voltage needed to the spark plugs to fully light off the mixture. new cars with all this modern stuff relies on properly charged batteries. so I can see there being a difference.

Well, I know folks are getting a chuckle out of the question but the answer is really sort of No, but Yes at the same time...

The new battery isn't boosting performance but rather the disconnecting the electrical source may have caused ECM/PCM/TCM to reset some values and the car is "relearning" some tables.

You likely could be feeling some slightly different behavior, shift points etc.

Well, I know folks are getting a chuckle out of the question but the answer is really sort of No, but Yes at the same time...

The new battery isn't boosting performance but rather the disconnecting the electrical source may have caused ECM/PCM/TCM to reset some values and the car is "relearning" some tables.

I think this is most likely to be the case. If the battery had been dead for long enough, it could have forced a reset of the components mentioned, leading to very minor changes in acceleration. As you drive the car, those components will adjust to optimize performance and fuel economy.

This could be the case BUT, if the battery was this bad, it's doubtful that it would even start the car.

The OP never stated why the battery was replaced.

OP?

Latest posts

Back