Does 18" rims = rough ride?

Greenridge

:
Mazda 5
The Mazda 5 comes with 17" but I really want to put a set of 18" rims on my 5. But I've been told by a lot of people that "18 inch rims=rough ride" cause of the thin tires. I had never been in a car with 18" before. Is it really a rough ride? Does the 1" different in size makes a big differents on appearances?

an 18" rim does not make it a rough ride. you can run those on a truck w/ 75 series and it'll be reasonably smooth. in this case it's the fact that to make a set of 18's fit on the 5 you'll be running 45 series tires. Those are some might thin tires and as such,while turn in and steering precsion will be remarkable, so will the harshness of the ride. The last time I owned a set of 50 series tires(coupled to a mighty stiff suspension) my car was know as the 3hr wonder. That's because that's how long you could last on a road trip before your body needed a break. That said Mazda has done a pretty good job keeping the ride supple but if you plan on any kind of longish road trip or have harsh roads where you live, I'd stick w/ the 17s

40 series tires and a stiff suspension here and it's good for road trips. It's important to have your seats adjusted correctly. I feel fine after 7 hours of straight driving after I adjusted my seat according to some website (sparco or recaro or something).

not only more firm of a ride but you really need to learn how to drive like you are on a motorcycle, need to pay attention 100'-500' ahead of you depending on rate of speed.
there isn't a whole lot of sidewall to protect you from debris in the roadway but man... nothing corners like 'em... :)

yeah, 18's are tricky

i have a 35 sidewall so i'm cosntantly alert for anything on teh road i don't want touchin my rims (potholes, debris, misc objects)

forget 'bout how the ride will be, just think 'bout how the ride will look... and yeah it will corner like a biyotch....

Greenridge, it all depends on what you consider to be rough. If you like the way your 5 rides and handles with the stock set up, and you are not willing to sacrifice any ride harshness for improved looks, steering response, cornering grip, high-speed stability, etc., then leave it alone. I can say for me I like the benefits of a plus 2 or 3-wheel & tire upgrade over the increased harshness (only readily apparent on rough roads, smooth roads are okay). I have driven lowered vehicles (usually 2" lower than stock) with 17" or 18" wheels (40-series, and 35-series profile tires) since 1996, and have accumulated some 300,000 miles with this type of set up, but I really enjoy driving, and cornering, and driving, and cornering, and did I mention just driving in general. So for me, it is absolutely worth it to go bigger, and the ride, for me, is not that bad at all. Also, I do not have back problems, and at last measure I am still 6' tall. Hope this is helpful. Later.

ya , if you LOVE driving then go for a more aggressive set up. My little 1980 GTI would scare the pants of Vettes and Porsches as I gained on them through wicked twisties or passed them through double lane sweepers @ over 100MPH.:) :) :) :). ( man I miss that little car. :( ) if you can handle the increased need for paying attention and the "rougher" ride....break out the Visa!!!!! and drop the right foot. after all the passenger does have an " oh s*** handle" ;)

On my other car, I went from 215/50 17s to 225/40 18s and there was a really noticeable difference in the smoothness of the ride. I wasn't looking for a smooth ride, so I don't really care. This Mazda has a lot softer suspension, so I think the effect will be less than it was on my car. But taking away sidewall is definitely going to change the ride.

theweev said:
an 18" rim does not make it a rough ride. you can run those on a truck w/ 75 series and it'll be reasonably smooth. in this case it's the fact that to make a set of 18's fit on the 5 you'll be running 45 series tires. Those are some might thin tires and as such,while turn in and steering precsion will be remarkable, so will the harshness of the ride. The last time I owned a set of 50 series tires(coupled to a mighty stiff suspension) my car was know as the 3hr wonder. That's because that's how long you could last on a road trip before your body needed a break. That said Mazda has done a pretty good job keeping the ride supple but if you plan on any kind of longish road trip or have harsh roads where you live, I'd stick w/ the 17s

You mean 35 series. 45 series have higher sidewalls than the 40 series I run on my 17's. :)

i have 2 sets of rims that im constantly changing around depending on how a feel. i have the stock mazdaspeed rims with 45 trim tires and my 18's with 35 trim in order not to rub too terribly much. a few weeks ago i put on my mazdaspeed rims again and man there is a huge difference. going from 35-45 all of a sudden all the roads are SO much smoother. almost maked me wanna go ever fatter just for a smoother ride. even my girlfriend (who jumped in the car not noticing i switched the rims) said somethign when we got on the freeway. she was like "man...its like smooth in here now"

Thanks for your input but I went with the 17"

I got a set of 17" SportMax 008 for my 5 but I still have my heart on the 18". The reason that I went with the 17" is because the 5 is such a comfortable car, I want it to stay that way. Also, the 5 is a heavy car. If I hit a pothole with a set up of 18" rims 225/40/18 tires, I'm sure the rims will be damaged. If you live in Ottawa Ontario you will know there are lots of potholes everywhere....Check out the attached photos for me new 5. I got it last week and I got the windows tinted and got the new rims. I will post some better photos ext week.

Attachments

• IMG_0924.JPG
    IMG_0924.JPG
    400 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0926.JPG
    IMG_0926.JPG
    371.2 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_0927.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG
    423.1 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0928.JPG
    IMG_0928.JPG