Dodge Dart?

cburrell

:
2013 CX-5 Touring, 2016 Mazda 6 Sport
Has anyone checked the dart out? Can it compete in the compact segment? It is built on a Alfa Romano platform, and the car press has been praising it's handling, yet it weighs a lot for a compact. Can it seriously compete with the 3's handling? I have my doubts. I haven't seen one in person yet, but if Dodge does want to compete, hopefully they did make it look cheap, like they do all of their other cars. It seems Ford is the only american car company that has been putting out decent looking cars that don't look cheap. I know that I don't like the interior design at all on the Dart. Leave it to Dodge to make an interior look cheap and cheesy. It comes in a gazillion different choices, is that going to be effective for buyers? Anyone have any thoughts on it?

ive checked out a few at my different clients that are dealers, and they are not bad. a vast improvement over the neon and caliber its a predecessor too and replace of.

I would look into the Dart further only if it didn't weigh as much as an SUV. Seriously, cars should not be so heavy. The Mazda CX-5 has proven you could have a decent SUV that weighss about as much as today's compacts and the upcoming Mazda 6 will prove you could have a decent, mid-sized sedan that weighs about as much as a compact car. Now, I'm curious what the next-generation Mazda 3 will weigh. Current Miata territory?

Huge step up over the Caliber and finally a suitable replacement for the old Neon/SX 2.0, good fuel economy with the 1.4T for a really heavy car, but this car should've came out when the Caliber was released, it feels already dated despite having some cool tech features. The seats look terrible, I like being coddled in side bolsters from hips to shoulders like in the 3 and Focus. Also, look at the size of that B-Pillar. If it's made of hard plastic, I can see my funny bone catching that a few times.

Dodge Dart rallye, the trim level I would've likely purchased.
70560930.jpg

Vs. my 3, luxurious in comparison.
7938322538_dc3a2cf61f_c.jpg

I honestly wouldn't touch any Chrysler product again. Prior to owning a Mazda, I owned several Chrysler products (many brand new) and they were giant pieces of garbage. Poor fit and finish and very poor parts and reliability. If you look in the picture above, you can actually see where the B pillar trim isn't flush - enough said. I've owned three new Mazdas (2, 3, 5) and they are by far superior, its not even comparable. I bet actual fuel economy doesnt come close to my SkyActiv either!

I looked at various reviews online and on YouTube and the Dart doesn't get much praise....its already behind in terms of quality. Yeah, the touch screen and LED tail lights looks cool, but that is pretty much it!

There is substance to the fact that Chrysler is known as garbage in North America and Fiat is known as garbage in Europe!!!

Last edited:
It just seems to me that every new dodge I've seen looks cheap compared to other competition. Ford has realized this on their cars and have made their cars comparable with the Mazda's, even though I do prefer the 3's interior lay out over the Focus' cluttered look. To me even new Dodge cars look cheap from the exterior to the interior. The headlights and the taillights look just plain cheap compared to Mazda's or Ford's, the interiors to me look cheap and clustered too. I just walk away from most new dodges thinking that there are some good things that their vehicles offer, but then i think, leave it to dodge to screw up a car with cheap looking exteriors and interiors designs. To me especially when it comes to cars, Dodge looks the cheapest, Chevy is a close second, Ford has it figured out and has some nice designs on their new cars. I bought a 3 over the Focus because no matter what some of the car reviewers say, the 3's is the best in class when it comes to handling. The Focus is close to the 3 in handling, but it isn't quite there yet. Then when you factor in all the problems with the dual clutch in the focus, the 3 was the smartest buy for me, but if I my only choices were american cars, I would buy a ford hands down any day of the week.

I liked the Focus as well, handling was equally as good but Mazda seemed more refined. I am one of the rare ones who likes the Focus' DCT and thought if I ever wanted an automatic, this would be it. But I wanted manual and wanted six gears, though I did praise the Focus' manual and clutch for being one of the best out there. The seats in the Focus are one of the best out there, but ultimately the cramped rear seat made it unsuitable for my family.

To me, Dodge is that last resort vehicle for people with bad credit who have been denied by every other car manufacturer out there. "We'll get you in a new car even if your credit is so bad your momma won't lend you money."

Back