Do you think this is a problem?

bafilio1

:
2002 P5
Another quick questions about my p5. I noticed that while driving at night if I pull up on the window switch (to make sure the windows are all the way up, I get a whistle at highway speeds so just making sure) the headlights would surge brighter. I'm thinking that possibly the alternator is going bad, or is this just a common problem?

if you are pulling up on the window button, then the lights wouldn't be going brighter if it was an alt. problem. when using the power windows, you would actually be pulling more power away, making the headlights (all the lights) dim as opposed to brightening them.

okay I'm sorry let me add to the "problem" the headlights get brighter once I release the button but only for a second, kind of like I'm flashing my brights lol. But only the headlights get brighter for a milasecond the others stay the same.

okay I'm sorry let me add to the "problem" the headlights get brighter once I release the button but only for a second, kind of like I'm flashing my brights lol. But only the headlights get brighter for a milasecond the others stay the same.

when u press all window buttons up, the power needed to bring the windows up is taken from the alt...now once you release the buttons the car gets its normal power back. your good.

when u press all window buttons up, the power needed to bring the windows up is taken from the alt...now once you release the buttons the car gets its normal power back. your good.

thanks for the re-assurance... since I just got it, I'm waiting and searching for something to go wrong.. happends every time I get a new "used" car. lol

I get that sort of thing all the time, except just random dimming of all lights at random times when driving. What's going on?

I get that sort of thing all the time, except just random dimming of all lights at random times when driving. What's going on?

I would assume its the alt. I would have it checked... usually when there is a lack of elec. power at random its the alternator. but I could be wrong... I would say take it off and take it to autozone for a check up. or it could just be the fan kicking on... mine does that on the p5 when the fan kicks on.

probably when the fan is kicking on. had that happen on an older car of mine all the time, and the alt. was fine. listen for it. if the lights are dimming, that means there is a drain of power that just came on and the alt. is trying to compensate for it. unless it happens all the time, or you can't run multiple accessories at once without issue (rear defr., a/c, lights, music, etc.) it shouldn't be a problem.

I would assume its the alt. I would have it checked... usually when there is a lack of elec. power at random its the alternator. but I could be wrong... I would say take it off and take it to autozone for a check up. or it could just be the fan kicking on... mine does that on the p5 when the fan kicks on.

No matter what Autozone will try to sell you a new alternator. Once they have you in the store they expect to sell $75 in parts on average. Best bet is to have an ASE certified technician look at it for you. Might cost $40-80, but it's worth the peice of mind.

No matter what Autozone will try to sell you a new alternator. Once they have you in the store they expect to sell $75 in parts on average. Best bet is to have an ASE certified technician look at it for you. Might cost $40-80, but it's worth the peice of mind.

Don't have that problem here in ohio... lol I have taken my boat battery in there a dozen times to get it "recharged" or checked lol as well as atleast 6 alternators. But i'm "buddy/buddy" with them so maybe they know I'm broke

Don't have that problem here in ohio... lol I have taken my boat battery in there a dozen times to get it "recharged" or checked lol as well as atleast 6 alternators. But i'm "buddy/buddy" with them so maybe they know I'm broke

Down here in Texas it's sell, sell, sell. I run a repair shop so I see it all the time. People come in with parts and no clue why they bought them... I just tell them to take back the 4 unnessicary parts and I install the 1 part they actually needed. Lol...

lol. I guess your right.. they did that to my brother inlaw when I sent him to get a part for the ranger build. But I think they can tell who is mechanically savey and who is not.

Upgrade the factory ground wires and this problem should go away. I need to do mine as well.

Is he pulling multiple switches at once? The current draw from one is enough - OK maybe 2. Does one do it more than the others? Then might be binding or failing motor.

Back