Do you still have the plastic engine splash shields?

Nouse4aname

:
2003 Mazda Protege5/2007 Legacy GT Spec B
So while changing out the serpentine belts I took off the passenger side under engine cover/plastic splash shield(B25D-56-341H). In doing so, broke a couple rusty bolt heads so I couldn't attach it back properly and seems the prior owner did the same in another spot and it looks like it got dragged on the road at least once. Just have some wire ties holding it up right now. Is this worth saving? I'm certainly not an expert at drilling out broken bolts so also looking at other ideas/mounting locations to hold it up.

i dont have mine anymore but i did get one from the salvage yard and installed it loosely (bolted to bumper and rear of fender with a couple bolts but not all clips) cuz i was in a rush. and that night i was on the interstate and started hearing a noise of it rubbing when i hit dips. i figured it just rubbing and aint gonna pay it no mind cuz i aint pulling over late at night to mess with it.. then i heard a loud boom and my headlights jumped n i heard scraping i crossed 3 lanes and pulled over to find out it ripped the left side of my bumper off and it was draggin on the ground and also rubbing on my left front tire now im missing a nice chunk off the drivers side bumper. SO YEA MOUNT IT RIGHT OR LEAVE IT OFF or u will end up like me(smash)

These things work awesome.... (self drilling screws)

201242316133127877231_zps17b12e4a.jpg
download_zps3142fbf5.jpg

I have half a dozen holding on my splash shields. They have a built in drill bit,... all you need is a drill and a screwdriver bit,... really fast and easy.
Put them about half an inch from the broken bolt. (don't drill through the broken bolt,.. drill through the shield into new metal)

No need to drill and tap,... just drill them in,... 30 seconds each.

Last edited:
Why to struggle so hard when a mechanic can help to do that.

Mechanics are fine if you've got lots of money. This guy was quoted $40 per bolt to replace four bolts for his splash shields.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123826051-Protege-engine-splash-cover-bolts-fused

I've saved many thousands of dollars doing my own work in the past four years. I was quoted over $2000 for a T-belt replacement and did it all myself for around $300.

P.S. I'm pretty sure whatusername IS a technician,... I think he just got lazy.
Most of us here tend to learn the hard way,... it sinks in better that way and we end up learning more.

Last edited:
These things work awesome.... (self drilling screws)

201242316133127877231_zps17b12e4a.jpg
download_zps3142fbf5.jpg

I have half a dozen holding on my splash shields. They have a built in drill bit,... all you need is a drill and a screwdriver bit,... really fast and easy.
Put them about half an inch from the broken bolt. (don't drill through the broken bolt,.. drill through the shield into new metal)

No need to drill and tap,... just drill them in,... 30 seconds each.

Oh, I'll look for these. I removed my splash guards awhile back to fix something and most of the bolts on the passenger-side splash guard got busted from being rusted to the sheet metal. I've been driving without one. I can see the drive belts while working on my right brakes. It hasn't caused any problems but I'm probably going to put it back on now.
I tried drilling out the old screws with a screw/bolt extractor but that didn't work.

Here's a some pictures of what I did,... I made a splash shield out of a krazy carpet.

20130924_131532_zps69f73dc3.jpg

20130924_131733_zpscb1da110.jpg

20130924_131551_zps144f467e.jpg

P.S.,... there's a weld nut that the bolt threads into on the backside. I did manage to get a couple of broken bolts out by clamping a vice-grip to the thread that sticks out beyond the weld nut.

This is a krazy carpet,...

20130924_192526_zps456eea18.jpg

It's the winter equivalent of a big wheels,.... it's for kids to slide down snow covered hills (or for drunk adults).

I know you're from Florida but if I recall correctly, you said you were from New York, so you really otta know this.

I know you're from Florida but if I recall correctly, you said you were from New York, so you really otta know this.
LOL yea im from NY.... NY City... Brooklyn to be exact. And i have never seen a krazy carpet in person.. we didnt have anyplace to use one in the city

Here's a some pictures of what I did,... I made a splash shield out of a krazy carpet.

20130924_131733_zpscb1da110.jpg

P.S.,... there's a weld nut that the bolt threads into on the backside. I did manage to get a couple of broken bolts out by clamping a vice-grip to the thread that sticks out beyond the weld nut.

That front motor mount is shot

That front motor mount is shot

I took a pretty good look at it recently and it does look like the rubber inside it is still in one piece. I really don't want to have to do mounts, especially the rear one but it seems like we all have to do it sometime soon.

Is there supposed to be an air gap in the rubber ??? where the inserts would fit in ??? or has mine collapsed ???

Back