Do you like your CX-9 Navigation?

It's a trade off. Some things you can't do while driving but others you can, like increasing the guidance volume, or zooming in/out for less/more street detail, while on the move. Reading the manual can be a tedious P.I.T.A, but if you are sitting and waiting for someone, just experimenting with the various features yields results. It's a feature-rich system. It just takes some time to play with it and familiarize yourself with them.

Hello..I chose not to bother with the Mazda NAV since my Android Phone (HTC EVO) has Google Navigation which is free. Since this is a system in the google cloud and thus not requiring updates to the car since google is always being updated it works very well for me. No CD updates, etc. Obviously, an internet connection is needed to use the service on the phone but I have sprint and in my area I have a very solid connection everywhere. Basically, I have a seidio windshield/dash mounted phone holder that allows me to rotate my phone from landscape to portrait. I drive around all day like that. The nice thing about the seidio is that it also includes a built in charger so the unit serves dual purposes. And, the google nav is voice activated as well so I simply would say "Navigate to 123 West Street, etc" and the map appears. Google Navigation is simply outstanding on several levels and integrates nicely with the phone. Plus it goes with me from my CX9 to our 2 other cars. The screen is smaller but my EVO has a 4.3" screen so it is just fine for me.

Each method is just fine. This one just works better for me in my day to day activities.

Thanks
Mike

Phone GPS is nice, but not always reliable, that is to say if you have no data service you are hosed. I have been in several states, Montana and N. Carolina for instance, where I have had either no cell service or data service. Here in Europe in the mountains you are lackey to get any service at all, and if you cross over into another country the roaming charge for data is astronomical. I one left my data service on while roaming and it ate through 25 euro, 35 dollars, in 40 minutes.

In America, a technology rich nation, we are so spoiled. All my Italian friends love to see and hear the GPS at work, that is because none of them even own one, let alone have a vehicle integrated one. I for one love not having to bust out the Rand McNally map and plan my trip and I don't miss the endless reams of MapQuest printed pages trying to read while driving because my significant other is not so good navigating.

That said, not trying to rant or flame, just my thoughts on the NAV, but yah it could be better.

Hello. Well IMHO the only limitation to phone gps is data coverage (and that is a big concern) . Other than that I cannot think of others. I have used current nav systems in current vehicles as rentals and the nav system offered by Google is superior. But it is really a personal preference and how it is used. For instance I am in western new York and have solid data signal all the time. Even a trip from western new York to south Carolina was solid all the way. Plus it caches the data well too so if you loose data for a while it will continue to function for a bit.

But just my 2 cents. If I lived in another area of the country or world I might have a different opinion.

Thanks
Mike

Again, everyone has a preference as to what works with them but a couple of other things I like about the Google Navigation. It has free real time traffic alerts right which is surprisingly accurate. This past year on a trip to Virginia it said there was traffic congestion just outside of Richmond and suggested an alternate route. We took it and sure enough there was an accident that saved us a long wait. I know this is available with the 2010 Nav system but you need Sirius or have to use some sort of FM radio solution. Also, it is tightly integrated with the phone. So for instance if I use google's places search to find a subway restaurant in the area it will map them all out with simple voice prompts. It is integrated with functions such as the browser, contacts, email, etc. My goal was to have a one stop device I can use for everything and the navigation was a bonus.

Again, if I lived where they did not have good data signal then I would certainly feel different.

Thanks
Mike

Let me say this... I won't leave on a trip without my TomTom. For everyday in town drive to routine locations I can live without the CX-9 GPS but on a vacation trip or somewhere unfamiliar, the portable GPS seems working better, not necessary smarter but my wife can program it without stopping the car.

The voice recognition is purely JUNK though

"Programming w/o stopping" - true. You need a kit to fool the VSS input. I haven't not found one yet. Still waiting.
"Real-time Traffic" - later models of OE NAVI also have this (not on my 2008). It is based on FM signal. Can't say which is better.

"Programming w/o stopping" - true. You need a kit to fool the VSS input. I haven't not found one yet. Still waiting.
"Real-time Traffic" - later models of OE NAVI also have this (not on my 2008). It is based on FM signal. Can't say which is better.

The 2010 has a version of real time traffic. I presume it is FM based. The nav unit will suggest alternative routes when "traffic" is detected ahead. Honestly I don't find it very useful as it is prone to take you off an interstate on to local roads just because the average speed on the interstate drops from 65 to 50. I have no idea what the algorithm is but it may be primarily focused on getting around "traffic" rather than calculating the effect on total trip time.

The 2010 has a version of real time traffic. I presume it is FM based. The nav unit will suggest alternative routes when "traffic" is detected ahead. Honestly I don't find it very useful as it is prone to take you off an interstate on to local roads just because the average speed on the interstate drops from 65 to 50. I have no idea what the algorithm is but it may be primarily focused on getting around "traffic" rather than calculating the effect on total trip time.

That's what bugs me about the re-route option. There's no ability to preview.

I have to say, I was disappointed with how it compared to say NAV units offered by other car companies like Nissan on the Murano and Maxima. Those dudes get higher resolution display, 3D buildings, and even indicator on which lane to be in while driving to prep for turns.

Well NGC, you've had lots of comments regarding the OE Nav system used by Mazda but here is another one. Our 09 GT has been a fantastic car for the past two years and 45K miles. The Nav is adequate but lacking in the "safety feature" that will not let you adjust or re-set anything while the car is in motion. That one thing makes it much more of a frustrating accessory rather than one that helps you enjoy your travels, especially when on the open road and you are trying to get reservations at your evening stop. Our previous ride, a BMW X-5 had a Nav but it was an 06 and the Government had not saddled it with the "no touch" feature way back then. It was a joy to use and only got "confused" when we were in British Columbia. I would really think hard about this accessory in your Mazda. Having seen the newer 5 inch monitors on some of the new portable GPS units, that really should be considered. The back up camera on our 09 is OK but never ever rely on it!!!! There are just enough blind spots to make looking over your shoulder and using your sideview mirrors a MUST! Good luck on you purchase and keep us informed as to which way you decide to go.

The grey-out "feature" is not mandated by the government.
Rather, it is DENSO's decision to do so, likely instructed by Toyota since DENSO supplies NAVI to Toyota/Lexus.
(I am sure big corporates like Toyota listen to their lawyers more)
Mazda has been using DENSO navi systems as well. Therefore, the "grey-out" feature is also present.

I have always had NAV in my prev cars, and in my MKZ, the Sync was awesome!!! The bluetooth for audio was great! Now for the Mazda, it sucks! However the NAV isn't too bad, we got the GT w/ the Rear Ent & the one we got had the NAV so we went ahead and got it. There are a few features I like....1: Traffic in the bigger cities, it tells you where heavy traffic is and alternative routes, and I don't believe this is part of the Sirius like in the 2011's. Also I like how on the Sirius, you can pause, rewind music. Also you can save favorite songs/artists and once they come on, it will pop up an alert, I thought that was pretty cool!!

One thing I would like to see if the lock-out feature off there!!!! I had a 09 Sonata Limited w/ NAV, and you could do everything while in motion on it and that was great! But with the Mazda, I hate that you can't even enter anything while driving even if it is the passenger.

I have always had NAV in my prev cars, and in my MKZ, the Sync was awesome!!! The bluetooth for audio was great! Now for the Mazda, it sucks!

What "sucks" on your Mazda bluetooth? I use bluetooth on my 2010 CX9 GT for audiobooks and music. It's fine for me. Phone works well too.

Try reducing the Bluetooth gain on your phone. Not sure if you have a iPhone or not but with my iPhone 4 the CX-9 BT sounded very muddy, and lacked clarity when I first got it, when My Mz6 sounded very good. Realized that the Phone's BT output was saturating the CX-9 Head unit and once I reduced BT output to 3/4's everything sounded much better. BTW, although I love Sync, I find it's audio to be too bright and edgy. But that's me. Audio quality is very personal.

Yea I have a iphone4 also! By reducing the output, do you mean turning the volume down on the iphone when its playing? Didn't think about that, but I think mine is up all the way....I'll have to try that tomorrow, thanks!!

Yea I have a iphone4 also! By reducing the output, do you mean turning the volume down on the iphone when its playing? Didn't think about that, but I think mine is up all the way....I'll have to try that tomorrow, thanks!!

I have the iPhone 3GS and needed to turn the phone volume way up in order for the bluetooth handsfree system to work properly without needing to adjust the volume each time I switched from audio to phone.

The iPhone 3Gs has slightly different gain characteristics. FWIW I also have no issue maxing the BT volume with my Mz6 GT's MID/Display, so that tells me the MID Display probably has slightly different input gain when compared to the Nav unit. I actually think the Nav unit has an older BT design when compared to the new MID/Display.
Also although I set my phone volume (yes travislipe it's on the phone. The volume control when your in the iPod mode of the phone. You can either adjust it via the GUI slider at the bottom of the screen or I think the physical volume buttons map to it).

IslandTractor I can't remeber if you have the Nav or not. FWIW I don't have issues with Handsfree volume when I adjust the iPhone iPod volume control.

Last edited:
Back