Do you guys go MAX on the RPM ??

Today was my second time going up to 6500 RPM ..........And it kinda hurts....haha..........
Does it actually hurt the car or is it good if you do it from time to time ??

Don't sweat it. My last car spent 140,000 miles bouncing off the rev limiter. That's what it's there for. Although I wouldn't suggest cruising down the interstate at 90mph in 3rd gear for 300 miles. That might cause some problems...

I personally believe if you BABY your engine all the time it will end up doing more harm than taking it up the rpm range from time to time....if you ALWAYS keep the rpm low....I believe you will end up developing ridges in your cylinders that MIGHT be just a HAIR lower then if you were reving it up.....and then when you DID rev it up...your top rings will be hitting these and possibly doing some damage....for believe it or not...your rods do flex and streach just a HAIR at higher rpm.....

My wife is always shifting her car before 4k.....always.....so she gets better gas milage than I do....I have more FUN driving my car.....so I just get in hers from time to time and take it out and treat her like she was ment to be treated. :{D

I rev the engine up pretty good most of the time. Try autocrossing if you wanna see the rev limiter get hit a couple times in a day. Racing every other weekend, I run second gear up to almost 60mph. That's really pushing the revs up around and over 7k. She still runs like a top and purrs like a kitten.
I love this car.

I don't see that as being a problem either....like others said, I wouldn't suggest purposely driving it a gear lower than it's supposed to be or anything, but hitting the high rpms is just fine.

Yeah...

Sir Nuke said:
...My wife is always shifting her car before 4k.....always.....so she gets better gas milage than I do....I have more FUN driving my car.....so I just get in hers from time to time and take it out and treat her like she was ment to be treated. :{D

My girlfriend does the exact same thing!!! She has a 99' Civic EX, and will shift at ~3500 RPMS.. Drives me nuts. She thinks her car is slow, and after 40,000 miles I still can't teach her to shift any higher. For instance, on the interstate @ 60MPH, she will downshift to 4th to pass, shifting back into 5th @ ~4000 RPM's.
I, on the other hand, go to 3rd until about 7500, and she thinks I am going to destroy her car.

Also, on the rare occasion she drives my truck, I usually ride along just for the entertainment value. She will be sitting at a stop light or stop sign, and jam the throttle about 1/2 way down to take off. It will spin for ~5 seconds before she realizes what she's doing. I used to get upset, but I think it is hillarious now. People around us freak out, and she usually gets mad at me... telling me I did it somehow.. :rolleyes:

In my P5, I almost always keep the RPM's under 6K. It just doesn't pull enough for me past 6 to justify revving that high. It "feels" like the powerband peaks around 5.5 RPMs, so by shifting at 6K, the next gear is usually right in the sweet spot.
The only gear that seems to be the exception is 3rd, I'll leave it till about 6.5K just because it is so much stronger than 4th. The only time I bounced off the rev limiter, was when I test drove a blue P5, before I drove mine. :)

yup, autoxing will take you to the rev limiter frequently and often :)

but wait, I think I hit 6500 when I came to work this morning... :D

Daily Driving I don't shift higher than 3,500 rpms
once in a while though it's 6,500 rpms 1st,2nd, and 3rd...

he he:D

It's actually good for the engine...

It's actually good to rev it up every once in awhile. I drive my cars hard so I'm up above 4500 when shifting a lot. The engine needs to get used to both high rpm use as well as daily low rpm use. Plus, driving in the upper end of the rpm spectrum is just way more fun don't you agree?

I don't know about you guys but after 7K miles the P5 engine seems to loosen up quite a bit.
My P5 revs and reacts better since I hit 7K miles.

Who knows maybe it's just me....:confused:

WhiteZoomZoom said:
Thanks for the info guys........
It just kinda hurts me to see my baby go over 6500 RPM.....hehe

at least you didn't have your Pro hanging at 7000rpm for a couple seconds while coming out of a turn :eek: :eek:, THAT was scary...

note to self: never EVER downshift to 1st during autocross :D

you guys all have manuel????
i'm driving an auto...
will it make any difference???
i know i'm trying to be stupid..=P..but if you boost her up to 5000 to 6000 rpm in auto...will it harm the gearbox???
cause i'm sure manuel won't....=P

even though I talk a lot about things not to do with a manual (all from observation and talking to manual drivers, and a little test run myself :)) My Pro is actually an auto, so YES it is OK to bring your automatic Pro up to the rev limiter, so far so good for me!

and yes that 7000rpm was done in my Pro :eek:

skman said:
how did you guys go over 6000 rpm????
the car manual said highest is 6000 rpm ga wor

oh it's quite easy if you put your auto in '1', which I totally don't recommend to do on a regular basis :)

i have a stick with 1500 miles.

Took it to 6000 rpm once
Took it to 5100 rpm twice

thats all

I was wondering.......How many KM is one mile ?? Since Canada is different from USA........
And a lot of people here talk about miles......

Back