Do you find the 5 under-powered?

I second that...

perfecto said:
Quoted for truth - this car LOVES to rev. :)

It loves to rev and live in the 80-100MPH range. I was just driving back from my dealer and needed to pass a truck (up a slight grade), dropped it into 4th and before I knew it I had accelerated from 65 to 100MPH!

The car is deceptively fast when you work the engine in it's sweet spot (3500-5500rpm).

And a Third

Antonio DiMarco said:
The car is deceptively fast when you work the engine in it's sweet spot (3500-5500rpm).

I have never driven an AT in a 5, but once you figure out the revs in the 5Speed, there is ample power. I had a dodge caravan before this vehicle with a 3.0. It didn't even come close to what the 5 can do.

I have an automatic and I don't find it to be overly peppy or sluggish. Why not a five speed automatic from Mazda? If I were a betting man, I would say that the transmission case cannot handle a STRONG 5 speed automatic. With the extra weight of the 5, I bet they had to compromise and make it a 4 speed. Plus, if we had 5 speed automatics, we would be complaining that is was always shifting and never on the torque curve. I think the 4 speed is likely the best choice...

But someone with access to the internal parts documents might be able to see if the ring and pinion, torque converter, etc. are the same as the other Mazda automatic transmissions using the 2.3 engine.

Just a thought...

I test drove both the AT and MTX versions of the 5 (I had a tought time finding an MTX to test drive) . And I would say, if you can drive an MTX, buy it. The 5 with the ATX is definitely sluggish compared to the 5spd MTX. The MTX tranny really makes the car/van come alive. With the ATX it feels like any other mini van... Underwhelming!!

MTX Rocks!

Rocket said:
I have an automatic and I don't find it to be overly peppy or sluggish. Why not a five speed automatic from Mazda? If I were a betting man, I would say that the transmission case cannot handle a STRONG 5 speed automatic. With the extra weight of the 5, I bet they had to compromise and make it a 4 speed. Plus, if we had 5 speed automatics, we would be complaining that is was always shifting and never on the torque curve. I think the 4 speed is likely the best choice...

But someone with access to the internal parts documents might be able to see if the ring and pinion, torque converter, etc. are the same as the other Mazda automatic transmissions using the 2.3 engine.

Just a thought...

I believe the 5 speed Auto will eventually be availabel in the 5. The 3 used to have a 4 speed AT and now a 5 speed AT is available.

The Mazda5's onboard computer will gradually change the shift points on A/Ts to the driver's driving style. If you change your style it will take a couple days for the computer to make more changes. If you see-saw, well, you will have to get your dealer's service department to Flash it to the initial shift points and start over.

The *burnt smell problem* may be the paint on the block burning off. Many new cars have this.

Now that I finally own my 5 and have driven it for a little over 100 miles, I can answer this thread's title in one word... No.

Actually, the more I drive the more I realize how quick it is. In any gear, particularly 2nd though, it really rockets forward. No it's not a "fast" car, but damn, my Sunfire has basically the same displacement and was a dog. I guess that's what Japanese engineering and 2 more forward gears will do for ya!

jandree22 said:
Actually, the more I drive the more I realize how quick it is. In any gear, particularly 2nd though, it really rockets forward. No it's not a "fast" car, but damn, my Sunfire has basically the same displacement and was a dog. I guess that's what Japanese engineering and 2 more forward gears will do for ya!

I noticed the car got significantly
faster after the first 1000 miles.

Cheers,
Robin

I feel the need...the need for speed! Wooo!

The Mazda5 hauls @$$! I have no problem punching it off the line and getting plenty of responsiveness. (burnout)

However, this is not a racecar, but it's one sweet car for the family that's all about style and accessibility! (cabpatch)

You can't go wrong here! (first)

Back