Do you drive your 5 like a sportscar!!??

miatafied

Contributor
:
Mazda5/kidhauler - Miata/fun car
Hah - reading my "automobile" mag, they had a small snippet on their mazda5 that they have as part of their long term test drive fleet. One editor's comment was that unlike other editors he doesn't mistake it for a sportscar and used it for a utilitarian trip with lots of junk in the hold. (Incidentally, they have one hooked up with a big satellite dish on top for TV anywhere)

After reading that I realized, that I DO sometimes mistake my 5 for a sportscar!! For example, this AM on the way to work, I was a charitable distance behind a bmw 3 series that was tailing the slowpoke in front of him. Once the slowpoke turned off, I expected the Beemer to leave me in the dust - it was a curvy country road - but I actually stuck with him. I thought that maybe the 3 series wasn't all that aggressive a driver. Then, I was on the highway later in the day and on an exit ramp I saw the tail end of a miata in the distance as I entered the ramp. If you've ever driven a miata - an exit ramp is nearly nirvana as it hugs and you accelerate through the curve. Once again, I expected that that little peek was going to be the last that I saw of that miata, but lo and behold near the end of the ramp (which was simply connecting one highway to another, so no stopping at the end) I had caught up to the little sportster........

I definitely confuse my MAV with a sportscar!!

The 5 really good at cornering, of cause it can't compare with those compact ricer.... but it's way better than I expect.
Last month I drove like 6 different cars, new civic, new yaris, mini topless, 05mpv, my old 00 altima SE with sport tuned suspensions, and my new 5.

Here's how I rank them just for cornering

Mini > Civic > 5 > Altima > Yaris > MPV

When I test drove the Civic, I quickly hated it because it felt numb and disconnected from the road. It may have been amazing in the twisties, but I was too scared to find out because I got no feedback. (That and the somewhat older saleslady was sitting shotgun.(lol2) Did you get that feeling at all? Sorry to digress... don't wanna hijack the thread.

Last edited:
MAZDA 5 rocks at cornering and hi speed manouvers. Had a blast against a Acura 1.7 the other day

I know I should be smarter than driving really fast on occasion, but I can't help it...I like to have fun and driving fast every now and then...I've already kept up with and played on the freeways with a BMW 3 series, Mini Cooper S, and countless Hondas...

As far as regular street driving is concerned, I've waxed an Acura Integra (even off the line), and a Toyota Corolla S this evening...

Ignore what you've heard, the 5 has plenty of power and gets up to speed just fine for me, and I'm driving a touring with an auto trans!!! Passing cars at freeway speeds isn't a problem for me...My 5 jumps to 80mph on the freeway before I know it all the time...

I definitely keep confusing my Mazda5 with a sportscar, which is probably why I get such terrible mpg.

Back