Do Mazda5 brakes last forever???

Just went in for my 106,000 km service. I was absolutely sure that by now I'd need new pads (given what I've been hearing about people needing to change pads at 35,000 km) just got the word that I have 3.5mm of material left. the pads apparently start out with 10mm. Man talk about long lasting brake pads!! What the heck are they made of??? I'm what you would call a "spirited" driver. I can't imagine how long they'd last with a more relaxed driver. some people might never even go through the factory pads in the time they own their 5.

Which brings me to my question. What the heck are the people doing who are going through pads in 35,000km???

Incorrecty prepared roto/pad surface installtion, small material composistion differences in production years, small rotor surface uneven-ness. Take your pick.

Incorrecty prepared roto/pad surface installtion, small material composistion differences in production years, small rotor surface uneven-ness. Take your pick.

Maintenance schedules supposed to include checking of the brake assembly. At some point in time it also include 'lubricating the sliders' in the brake mechanism so the brake pads can easily 'slide away' from the rotor when pedal is not pressed.

One time, I checked and the dealer tech simply 'smeared' grease outside
of the pins. didn't even bother removing the tires (grease in the wheels is proof). I did not complain.. and decided to check the brakes myself. When I got home. If they are 'uncomfortable opening it', they might as well not touch it. Who knows what mistakes they will make?

My brakes are still ok. mazda5 2006, 55000km.

I changed the front pads at 90,000 miles, the rears are still the original at nearly 100,000 miles though I plan to replace them soon.

My front pads just got changed this week at 62,000 miles. Not sure if this is the first set changed or not. I just bought the 5 this past week. But hey; brakes are just one of those things you always budget for, so I didn't mind the expense.

At some point in time it also include 'lubricating the sliders' in the brake mechanism so the brake pads can easily 'slide away' from the rotor when pedal is not pressed.
5's caliper pins have no dust boot so lubing might attract dust.

Pads last a long time, however rotors on mine tend to need surfaced frequently. Twice in 47,000 miles, but we do drive a lot in town and I think the spouse may "ride" them more than I want. Still a great car/van/you name it.

Back