DIY intake...cough under $100...

DSMConvert

AWD...say Bye Bye
:
Titanium MS6
Ok so was in the autoparts store today picking up a pulley puller for my CJ project when I just happened to pass down the rice isle. Generally I just stroll on down and giggle, but a few new items caught my eye. So gears started to turn and 30 minutes later I had the start of a DIY intake for under $100. Here are the pics thus far. This is stage 1 @ just over $35. Here is where I need your input guys. As you can see I still need to fab up a bracket(as now I have it supported by the bottom half of the stock box) and I need to find a replacement for the slinky hose. So I there are two ways I can do this:

A. Use parts everyone can get from local autostores while still keeping this as reliable and cheap as possible. A true DIY setup which I think would benefit you guys the most.

B. Do it how I want to do it and get my autocad coords logged and take it down to our computer cnc bender and have a mandrel bent replacement pipe made with the bracket tig welded on(ie kinda like the current $250+ kits). Still fairly cheap for me since we have the equipment, but probably not something all of you have access to. In addition I would also probably make a "cold air box" much like the one that comes with the K&N FIPK kits.

At any rate pics are below. The silver adapter is a cool little maf tube that I picked up at autozone that offers different brackets for different maf sensors. The filter was just a basic k&n knockoff with adapter rings to change the size to fit the maf tube. ONly additional parts you will need are a longer clamp screw if you use the stock airbox clamp(in the pick this is where the zip tie is as I took pics on the way to autozone to get a longer screw(needs to be 1/4" longer and costs 69 cents) and you'll need to modify the o-ring that comes in the bracket kit, as all 3 kits I looked at were missing the correct size oring for the mazda adapter. Alternatively you could also just use the sensor safe black rtv in the sealing groove instead of an oring, but I wanted to be able to take this back apart for the how-to I'll be doing in a few weeks. I know this is vague, and I promise the finished how-to will contain part #s and lots of install pics along the way.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2095401297

I let this run till next weekend when I have time to start stage II so please give me sugestions and feedback so I know which path to go next.

spectre intakes ftw!! lol. i work at autozone and when i bought my ms6 this was one of the first things i could think of that i wanted to do. cheap as heck to make something work for sure. then snow came and an awesome deal on a fujita on ebay (which i've gotten and was pretty much new). anyway, i support the install and wish you good luck definitely i'd like to see it.

I just removed the resonator in the fenderwell, removed all the junk in and on the bottom of the airbox, and duct taped the louvers in the fenderliner on the back side. Cost $0.00. I'm pretty happy with it and quite a few say it is comparable to a CAI. I could see benefit from mandrel bent piping from the MAF back though.

if you don't really care about performance too much...this kind of ''tuning'' is ok.
you'll be able to hear your turbo and bov like this.
i like the mazdaspeed intake personally

no cel...moms wanna clarify your statement a little? I'd be willing to put my car title up that this "kind of tuning" would net within 1hp of the mazdaspeed intake your fond of...

Please don't comment on issues of which you have no knowledge.

Incase you didn't notice i really really don't like having my suggestions called ricey...I'm very well educated in the automotive modification world and I can asure you I would never suggest something that is unsafe or does not result in some form of performanc gain..

Last edited:
That brings back some old memories....lol

DSMConvert said:
no cel...moms wanna clarify your statement a little? I'd be willing to put my car title up that this "kind of tuning" would net within 1hp of the mazdaspeed intake your fond of...

Please don't comment on issues of which you have no knowledge.
ouch e-thug...(uhm)

im just saying that either one can give you an increase in power just not a whole lot.
and
if it were my car, i would rather put on the mazdaspeed cai do to -MY PREFENCE-.

just because you like something, doesn't mean everybody else is supposed to like it.
personal prefrence is what it's all about.

i know that you're just probably trying to help people out by posting cheap ways to improve their cars.
good post i guess.

Back