Dissapointed with the 5-sp.

I'm Encouraged

Personally, I'm thrilled at the prospect of more civil, comfortable, quiet driving. As I've said before, from day one I was very unhappy indeed by the Protege's lack of refinement in those areas-- In fact, I found it rather offensive, unfortunately, and it's going to be a long, difficult year or two waiting until I can afford something else (which I desire, post haste, I'm sorry to admit).

Most people appreciate a car that delivers smooth driving characteristics, quiet operation, and efficient reliability. For those interested in greater performance (which I respect), such people are in to modding their cars anyway, so let them mod the smooth riding characteristics into a lowered, noisy, punishing ride car if they wish. I'd rather a car not be that way in the first place, straight off the delaer lot. In my opinion that's what <i> real</i> sports cars should be like; not an economy compact...

Last edited:
less road noise, smoother ride, whatever... that's okay, but don't isolate all the controls to the point of feeling like you're simply turning a wheel or moving a lever, as opposed to directly interacting with the car

I couldn't agree more with what Eugeosyncline said. The Protege is great for a cetain niche of drivers. Car and Driver rated it #1 in its class, and "enthusiasts" loved it because it was a "driver's car." The thing that drives the auto companies, though, is sales, and Civics and Corollas still sell better than the Protege (here at least). That's the problem with making a car for a particular niche -- relatively small target population means relatively low sales, "relatively" being the operative word here. People who want their "something for everybody" cars to be more hard-edged will customize to their heart's content. Look at http://www.cardomain.com/ for all the examples you need. People will turn family sedans and compact sedans into drivers' cars, but the reverse generally doesn't happen. People who want comfort buy comfortable cars from the start rather than buying sport-oriented cars and then dumping money into them to "refine" them. The 3 will appeal to a greater range of people and will probably now be a real competitor for the Civic and Corolla for the majority of buyers. As Eugeosycline said, the modders will mod the car to suit their tastes anyway. I don't own a 3 or a Protege, btw. (Edit: fixed link for cardomain.com)

Last edited:
well said zc1. When it comes down to it, I think the 3 is a step forward to meet what the general market is looking for compare to P5. Again, it depends on what you were looking/ expectation on purchasing a car. :)

And the fact is that even with the refinement the 3 is still way more of a drivers car than the Civic and Corolla which are its main competition.

So what will it take to make the MZ3 a "driver's" car? struts and springs? wider lightweight wheels? whacha folks think eh? an extra grand?

This car will be a phenomenal succes...its got everything going for it. the protege was an excellent car for car enthusiasts but the 3 is catered for the masses.

its a shame though that a lot of people will drive it ,it will become as common as the civic....i think

I was all excited about the Mz3 b.c I thought it was nice looking .Well since my month old MSP is probably totalled I decided to drive a Mz3 hatch. It just felt werid to me. I mean it was nice and all ,but compaired to the MSP it just didn't add up. I am biased b.c I am basing my judgment off of my car and its not going to be the same. But I just think I was expecting to much from the 3 and it came in way below where I thought it would. I'm not saying its a bad car, just really not something that I would really want to drive.

slipangle said:
So what will it take to make the MZ3 a "driver's" car? struts and springs? wider lightweight wheels? whacha folks think eh? an extra grand?

I would have to say, a "sportier" exhaust, a new clutch and a short shifter are extremely important. A CAI and thicker sway bars are definately next up.

it drove well...

Although it is more isolated than my P5, it still did give a very nice "drivers" feel. The 5 speed on the model I drove was awesome in feel and clutch. I "could" tell the points where it engages and disengages. It is "NOT" a Corolla clutch. Atleast on the one I drove.

The power is awesome on that 2.3, it pulls great! And man, the ride is so much better than that P5 of mine. I just like the way the P5 looks compared to it.

Don't take this as yelling, more of a funny way really but....

I think your all on crack! The steering was more precise in the 3 I drove and extrememly direct. The clutch was far better then any es or P5 I've ever driven and so was the shifter. I think your all so used to a bad tranny that when you drive a half decent one you think there's something wrong with it.

Our trannies in the Protege suck. I'm sorry, but they do. I've driven a lot of nice cars, and Honda/Acura, and BMW have some of the best trannies I've driven. When I switched over from them to MAzda, I hated my tranny, and I still don't like it as much as my last Prelude. Our trannies aren't the worse by any means, but their only middle of the pack good at best.

I'm not totally sold on certain aspects of the 3 yet, but the tranny, at least the one I drove was one of the nicer things I liked about it over the Protege. As far as engine noise goes, you guys and your rice pipes can fix that as you please, not really a big problem in my mind. The engine is a bit quieter, but I had no troubles hearing it, and changing gears as I would any other car.

I could never understand why people want pain in the ass stiff clutches. The 3 has a different feel to it...so what, learn where it engages like any other car, and enjoy a easier clutch.

newf said:

I think your all on crack! The steering was more precise in the 3 I drove and extrememly direct. The clutch was far better then any es or P5 I've ever driven and so was the shifter. I think your all so used to a bad tranny that when you drive a half decent one you think there's something wrong with it.

Our trannies in the Protege suck. I'm sorry, but they do. I've driven a lot of nice cars, and Honda/Acura, and BMW have some of the best trannies I've driven. When I switched over from them to MAzda, I hated my tranny, and I still don't like it as much as my last Prelude. Our trannies aren't the worse by any means, but their only middle of the pack good at best.

I'm not totally sold on certain aspects of the 3 yet, but the tranny, at least the one I drove was one of the nicer things I liked about it over the Protege. As far as engine noise goes, you guys and your rice pipes can fix that as you please, not really a big problem in my mind. The engine is a bit quieter, but I had no troubles hearing it, and changing gears as I would any other car.

I could never understand why people want pain in the ass stiff clutches. The 3 has a different feel to it...so what, learn where it engages like any other car, and enjoy a easier clutch.

Amen!!:cool:

yep...

I Hear Ya' Newf,,,,

kudos to ya guy!

but our Pros look better, but clearly the new 3 is going to be the one all competition looks to beat.....

newf said:

WURD!

If this hasn't come up yet, anyone that drives in traffic appreciates the light clutch on the 3. The whole car is more refined than the Protege, and in that transformation it has lost some of it's driving feel, but I personally prefer the compromise. For anyone that has driven a pre-95 NSX (all without power steering), you may understand how necessary some modfications are. The NSX lost some of it's direct feel, but life without PS is a hassle. The 3 adds a lot of civility in terms of ride and noise, but is a quicker and still an incredibly nimble car.

Back