Displeased with mileage

I have yet to do my first oil change since my '16 GT AWD w/Tech was purchased on 4/1. Will be doing at the 6 month mark since I work from home 4 days a week and won't be anywhere near the 5000 - 7,500 mileage marker (I'm at 960 miles right now). That being said, my MPG the first tank was 26.5 and the next 27.6. Right now I'm sitting 28.0 and will be gassing up today. That is a HUGE difference between what some of the others are reporting on here.

I have yet to do my first oil change since my '16 GT AWD w/Tech was purchased on 4/1. Will be doing at the 6 month mark since I work from home 4 days a week and won't be anywhere near the 5000 - 7,500 mileage marker (I'm at 960 miles right now). That being said, my MPG the first tank was 26.5 and the next 27.6. Right now I'm sitting 28.0 and will be gassing up today. That is a HUGE difference between what some of the others are reporting on here.
Maybe you and me are driving like old ladies... (whistle)

Maybe you and me are driving like old ladies... (whistle)

It probably has less to do with "driving like an old lady" and more to do with unnecessary "warming up" of the engine, lots of short trips and not adjusting for conditions down the road (slowing traffic, red lights, etc). A little anticipation goes a long ways in terms of MPG and I've seen a lot of old ladies that were terrible drivers..

Every gallon I've put in my CX-5 since new (almost three years ago) is reflected in my fuelly badge lifetime MPG.

That may be true. I don't allow much "warm up" time at all. I start it up, back out of the garage and I am gone. I'm also never involved in any heavy traffic. Everything is always flowing at a pretty substantial clip. Here lately, I have been applying a little more gas and switching to Sport mode when taking off at a light as I've grown tired of being passed by an old lady in the slow lane!

It probably has less to do with "driving like an old lady" and more to do with unnecessary "warming up" of the engine, lots of short trips and not adjusting for conditions down the road (slowing traffic, red lights, etc). A little anticipation goes a long ways in terms of MPG and I've seen a lot of old ladies that were terrible drivers..

Every gallon I've put in my CX-5 since new (almost three years ago) is reflected in my fuelly badge lifetime MPG.
I found idling in the driveway to kill my mpg in my jeep by 3 to 5.

I'm kind of shocked by how bad some of the mpg numbers being reported here are. I'm getting 30-32 mpg by the computer on my '16 CX-5 GT AWD. My commute is about 40% local, 20% freeway, and 40% freeway stop-and-go. I was actually shocked how good it was. I was expecting closer to the city number. Just local driving running errands, I'm getting 26-28. I haven't filled up yet, so I'm a little worried my computer is just way off now.

I'm kind of shocked by how bad some of the mpg numbers being reported here are. I'm getting 30-32 mpg by the computer on my '16 CX-5 GT AWD. My commute is about 40% local, 20% freeway, and 40% freeway stop-and-go. I was actually shocked how good it was. I was expecting closer to the city number. Just local driving running errands, I'm getting 26-28. I haven't filled up yet, so I'm a little worried my computer is just way off now.
I am using "MPG's for free" on my iPhone. I am keeping track both ways in my vehicle and on my smart phone. I know driving a car differs from person to person but it should not be that much of a difference in the MPG's. My mileage still sucks ! When looking at the YouTube videos on reviews of the CX-5 ,it appears that the drivers in the videos are getting good mileage figures.

I wish I had your mileage. I only have 1500 miles on my CX-5, but am getting 20 mpg. Do I have to drive like an old lady to get good mileage?

Jackrabbit starts aren't great for mileage, but you can actually accelerate pretty firmly and still get good mpg. The number one thing you can do, as far as driving habits go, to improve mileage is to use the brakes as little as absolutely possible. Everytime you touch the brakes, you're pretty much turning fuel directly to heat just like if you dumped it out and lit it on fire. Keep your eyes down the road, anticipate what traffic and signals is going to do well ahead so you can let off the gas early and coast instead of braking later on. You also need to leave more room between you and the car in front for a buffer. Even 2-3 car lengths extra space can dramatically reduce the amount of braking you do.

That's for city. For highway, mpg is pretty much a function of your speed, so keep it around 60-65mph or else your mileage will take a hit (remember drag increases with the square of speed).

just a quick update, 2nd tank on the 2016 AWD, 22/mpgs, maybe 50/50 city/highway. got COSTCO gas this time, interested to see what happens.

so far, 19.5 mpgs to 22 mpgs, still pretty poor though

My 2015 is pretty poor as well but...

just a quick update, 2nd tank on the 2016 AWD, 22/mpgs, maybe 50/50 city/highway. got COSTCO gas this time, interested to see what happens.

so far, 19.5 mpgs to 22 mpgs, still pretty poor though

My 2015 is pretty poor as well but...Since I am now retired, I do not drive that much. Getting about 20 mpg combined about 60% city + 40% hwy. I only use Chevron 87 octane gas and have avoided the lower tier gasoline up untill now. I am tempted to try Acro though.

I finally have a car that likes to run...so like Secretariat...I LET IT WHEN I CAN LEGALLY(shady)

I know I'm more on the extreme end with fuel economy, but I also know that a lot of people could get fairly close to what I get if they actually tried. I'll list everything I do to get this type of fuel economy.

manual transmission with 2L gas engine
42 psi in the tires *my fuel economy dropped some when I put on 18" Enkei M52 wheels*
65 mph on the highway
in 5th gear at 30mph and 6th at 35mph
usually shift by 3K rpm. But I have been getting to redline fairly often lately.
My average speed according to the computer is usually between 27-29 mph.

I have a 2015 GT AWD with about 5k miles. I usually get 28-29 mpg according to the dash in combined driving.

Running 38 PSI on all 4 wheels. With about 75% freeway driving at 70 mph averaging 31.8 MPG. Feel pretty good about that. I assume once the engine wears in a bit more that may go up. The engine just turned over 1100 miles.

Last edited:
Manually switch it off w/auto climate control!

Do you guys have air conditioner always on?

I also have automatic climatic control. With it set to bring in outside air, the system always begins with the A/C on. Except for summer, I always switch it OFF. In winter though, it does come in handy during a humid day, to prevent fogging inside! Sometimes I am torn between some of the "advances" made in the name of comfort, and the older manual type of heat/air-conditioning.

Mileage so far is pretty poor...about 20 mpg combined).

This is my 1st summer w/ the CX-5...we have gotten into the 90's already and so far the A/C is pretty good! The auto is garaged, ( keeping it out of direct sun most of the day) and the tinted windows do help a bunch! The A/C in my departed
2013 Subaru (also automatic climate controlled) Outback never did cool the cabin properly.

Last edited:
I also have automatic climatic control. With it set to bring in outside air, the system always begins with the A/C on. Except for summer, I always switch it OFF. In winter though, it does come in handy during a humid day, to prevent fogging inside! Sometimes I am torn between some of the "advances" made in the name of comfort, and the older manual type of heat/air-conditioning.

The CX-5 air conditioner is pretty efficient, from what I can tell iit impacts fuel usage less than 1 mpg. Do you have the windows open on the freeway? That can impact over 1 mpg but still doesn't explain your poor mpg. In my experience, no matter which car or truck forum you look at, MPG always comes up and there is always 1-2% of the participants that report MPG way below what everyone else is getting.

Most of us are getting great mpg and many of us are saving a lot of $$ over our previous vehicles.

You and I share the exact same situation... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Did my first fill-up and calculated 28.7 mpg. That's assuming the dealer didn't put any miles on it after filling up and that they actually topped it all the way off (using the delivered odometer number since they didn't set trip computer after fill up).

Computer was reporting between 28-31 for most trips (again, didn't reset at fill up so I don't have true average).

Looks like the computer on mine is a bit optimistic, but still, 28.7 is pretty good for mixed driving, and rush hour at that. Next tank should give me some more solid data.

Back