Dislikes about your MAZDA 5

Keep in mind I'm coming off a '99 Civic that even with 180k on the clock did 30-35 regularly (with at least one tank at 40) and still have a Miata that will do 24-26 on the same driving and you can see my frustration. My wife's '05 Altima 2.5 will do about 26 or so highway.
well, lets see... your civic weighs around 2400lbs and your miata is about 2200lbs...
your wife's altima is about 3000 lbs...
BUT, your Mazda5 weighs about 3400lbs...

1000 lb weight penalty and seats more than those other choices... sorry, I don't see your frustration.

I'd be frustrated by the mpg of the altima; I had a saturn L200 that got 34mpg.

well, lets see... your civic weighs around 2400lbs and your miata is about 2200lbs...
your wife's altima is about 3000 lbs...
BUT, your Mazda5 weighs about 3400lbs...

1000 lb weight penalty and seats more than those other choices... sorry, I don't see your frustration.
It's not a matter of rationalizing it out...it's just a downside of a more useful vehicle. Don't worry--I'm not selling it any time soon, lol. I just don't like filling it up almost once a week.

I'd be frustrated by the mpg of the Altima
I'm frustrated at that, too, but am just as clueless as to what to do about it (since, as far as I recall, it's about right according to Nissan).

Last edited:
3,500 lb and a large frontal area will do it. Still 20mpg is lowish... I do no worse than 22mpg.

The old Previa with the 2.4L engine that made 130 HP got gas mileage of 17mpg in the city.

Still, compare to the new 4 banger Sienna that gets about the same gas mileage as our 5, but has way more room and seating for 7... but drives like a boat...

Last edited:
3,500 lb and a large frontal area will do it. Still 20mpg is lowish... I do no worse than 22mpg.
My fill-ups have been (Date - MPG):
9/23/11 - 26.6 - First fill-up since I bought it (Dealer sold me the car with a full tank)
9/25/11 - 27.6
9/28/11 - 28.0 - The first three were the weekend I drove to my parents' house which is a 4hr trip by highway
10/8/11 - 22.4
10/18/11 - 25.9
10/25/11 - 21.6

I did 30mpg on a recent road trip with 3 adults 2 young'uns and loaded to the brim with luggage. :)

Much like my Miata (and owners who claim over 30mpg), I'll never understand how you did it without crappy math--or driving downhill for several hours.

Much like my Miata (and owners who claim over 30mpg), I'll never understand how you did it without crappy math--or driving downhill for several hours.
good mpg comes down to smart careful driving; getting to higher gears asap, moderate take off speed, avoiding downshifting while passing, things like this.
an oft-repeated piece of advice: drive like there is an egg between your foot and the gas pedal.

I tested myself once in a VUE I used to have; drove one week like normal where I'd get like 24-25 or so (don't remember exactly)
the next week, I kept from the passing lane, I accelerated more slowly, and set my cruise at the speed limit; I was able to get over 32mpgs.

We have had our 2008 MAZDA5 GT now a little over 2 years.

Under warranty the Dealer recalled and fixed the power steering pump, we only had an issue once on a hot day in Phoenix when we tried to make too hard a turn from a dead stop, the power steering pump overheated and shut down with a dash light indicator. We had to wait several minutes for it to cool down and reset before power steering came back, clogging up the parking lot lane in the meanwhile. This was the only warranty work we had done to the car.

The other nits,
1) The Alternator is WEAK, the battery doesnt charge very high and always shows low voltage since we often make many small trips. I changed the mazda battery with a quality battery, still low voltage (11.7-12v) but the car always starts. I had the dealer look for an electrical drain, they found nothing said all is normal. In the winter when it is cold and night with the headlights on, the starter strains, but always starts. Wonder how long the battery (now 15 months old) will last, good thing the batter has a 90 month warranty! Work around - at night turn HID headlights off for starting, turn back on after start.
2) The brake rotors are warped and cause a the steering wheel to shake when applying braking. Learn not to grip steering wheel hard when braking. Cheap undersized rotors, car seems to stop fine, however.
3) Premature tire wear on front tires outer edges, I think we only got 30k miles on the front tires before both need to be replaced, slightly early in my book.
4) Drink Tray Interference fit with one second row seat up and one second row seat down -you can't have the drink tray out in this configuration. This annoys me to no end- 1/2 inch smaller would solve the problem. Sawsall anyone?
5) GPS address entry not functional while driving -- HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT --will never pay big bucks for crippled dealer GPS software. Also, the GPS does not have any COSTCOs in the directory. (WTF?)
6) GPS nag-ware disclaimer every time the car starts I must answer YES to the liability disclaimer to get the GPS to display the map! Leave the liability lawyers out of software design PLEASE.
7) The rear view dimmer mirror dims GREEN- the cars headlights have a green tint in the mirror Yuck!
8) Drivers arm rest too narrow, not adjustable up and down.
9) The display for the ambient temperature reading shares with AC temperature setting thus constantly toggling between the two displays. really? LCDs are so cheap- was this really necessary?
10) Carpet in cargo area behind third row seats is CHEAP. A removable cargo mat that covers the back of the seats as well as an optional accessory would be nice.
11) Seat bell ding - Please let me turn it off.

I would have to add, the mileage is very good. We once drove from LA to Phoenix (during the night) non-stop and got 404 miles on one tank. The last 40 miles were nerve racking as there were no gas stations in the area. On 15 gallons that's about 27 mpg. Not bad!

Overall the complaints are minor we enjoyed the MAZDA5 and would buy another one if it had a bigger engine (can we say mazda5speed?). It continues to be our favorite "go to" car over the larger SUV and G35. We intend to keep it a least another couple of years.-D

Last edited:
our mz5 is a 2006 GT. We are expecting to eventually experience problems.

- There is an airpump for emission control, to check gas tank leakage.
the system checks current of the airpump motor. Gas cap is one of the possible problem
we are prepared for.

- The shocks for the rear is also expected to fail soon (like how others have theirs replaced already)

- The brake pads, is still ok on ours and rotors looks ok.. so this is not an issue.

- The steering pump/fluid, there is a hose that's 'sweating' steering fluid but level is ok
so maybe it just got wet.. but it is something I'm ready for.

- The sparkplug, I have replaced the spark plugs (from Canadian tire 'iridium'). Cheap but
great improvement.

- There are 2 little dings in the sliding door (by a frizbee, and another car's door) that I will address later on.
- A few 'battle scar' curb gashes on the alloy wheels.

- The 'fan belt' is already 5yrs old, and the 'preventative spirit' in me will have me buy a new fan belt
just in case.

- I have not seen any signs of 'rust' in the body. a dozen or so stone chips, that I covered with the
touch up paint.

As you can see, there is not a major issue with our 2006GT. But it does have only 84,000km, and the car
stays 'indoor' in the detached garage when not in use.

Ok, my first dislike about the manual gear box in my 5: reverse gear is too tall. I don't see the need for going fast in reverse. This tall gear makes it tricky to back on to an incline.
I'm still waiting to see if the clutch pedal loosens up - now it's a bit stiff for my liking, but the car only has 1700 miles. Clutch and shifter on a friend's 99 BMW 323i feel perfect after all these years.

I have many likes but some dislikes too.

- Manual sliding doors are bad in the winter after you take your car through a washer. They usually freeze in the winter time and i have to jump in and push out the door from the inside.
- Tire wear is bordering on insane. I have been through the stock falkens, Kuhmos, and currently on a new set of falkens and it only been 76k miles.
- Pot holes killed 2 wheels already.
- Green cluster lights.
- I didn't get a manual :(

We have had our 2008 MAZDA5 GT now a little over 2 years.

Under warranty the Dealer recalled and fixed the power steering pump, we only had an issue once on a hot day in Phoenix when we tried to make too hard a turn from a dead stop, the power steering pump overheated and shut down with a dash light indicator. We had to wait several minutes for it to cool down and reset before power steering came back, clogging up the parking lot lane in the meanwhile. This was the only warranty work we had done to the car.

Everyone had that done. Not a big deal. I'm grateful they recalled it, as they should have.

The other nits,
1) The Alternator is WEAK, the battery doesnt charge very high and always shows low voltage since we often make many small trips. I changed the mazda battery with a quality battery, still low voltage (11.7-12v) but the car always starts. I had the dealer look for an electrical drain, they found nothing said all is normal. In the winter when it is cold and night with the headlights on, the starter strains, but always starts. Wonder how long the battery (now 15 months old) will last, good thing the batter has a 90 month warranty! Work around - at night turn HID headlights off for starting, turn back on after start.

First time I've heard of that issue. You have a problem.

2) The brake rotors are warped and cause a the steering wheel to shake when applying braking. Learn not to grip steering wheel hard when braking. Cheap undersized rotors, car seems to stop fine, however.

The rotors aren't warped. The pads have a lot of plastic and glaze the rotors, like all cars now. Sand them when the cause vibration.

3) Premature tire wear on front tires outer edges, I think we only got 30k miles on the front tires before both need to be replaced, slightly early in my book.

That's not normal unless you're talking about the cheap Toyos. I put Michelins on when I bought ours. I'm glad they put the money into other items and gave me the choice of putting good tires on if needed. Sounds to me like your tire were over-inflated and not rotated regularly. Outside wear is no common on these cars and is typical, as with any car, of neglect.

4) Drink Tray Interference fit with one second row seat up and one second row seat down -you can't have the drink tray out in this configuration. This annoys me to no end- 1/2 inch smaller would solve the problem. Sawsall anyone?

Um, wow. Lot's of time on your hands there. Wish I could say the same.

5) GPS address entry not functional while driving -- HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT --will never pay big bucks for crippled dealer GPS software. Also, the GPS does not have any COSTCOs in the directory. (WTF?)

All OEM units are that way. Too bad you paid $2K for it and found out the hard way.

6) GPS nag-ware disclaimer every time the car starts I must answer YES to the liability disclaimer to get the GPS to display the map! Leave the liability lawyers out of software design PLEASE.

I don't like that either.

7) The rear view dimmer mirror dims GREEN- the cars headlights have a green tint in the mirror Yuck!

Obviously this is your first auto-dimming rearview mirror. They all do that in either green, blue, or grey tint.

8) Drivers arm rest too narrow, not adjustable up and down.

This isn't a $40K custom van. Geez.

9) The display for the ambient temperature reading shares with AC temperature setting thus constantly toggling between the two displays. really? LCDs are so cheap- was this really necessary?

The space on the dash is expensive. You're getting insanely critical on this.

10) Carpet in cargo area behind third row seats is CHEAP. A removable cargo mat that covers the back of the seats as well as an optional accessory would be nice.

I spent $5 at Meijer and fixed that. Put half the thought into solutions that you put into criticisms and you could fix most of your issues.

11) Seat bell ding - Please let me turn it off.

Again, first new car? They all do that ace.

I would have to add, the mileage is very good. We once drove from LA to Phoenix (during the night) non-stop and got 404 miles on one tank. The last 40 miles were nerve racking as there were no gas stations in the area. On 15 gallons that's about 27 mpg. Not bad!

Now you're focusing on the stuff that matters. This van is a 10/10 when you measure economy, looks, features, etc.

Overall the complaints are minor we enjoyed the MAZDA5 and would buy another one if it had a bigger engine (can we say mazda5speed?). It continues to be our favorite "go to" car over the larger SUV and G35. We intend to keep it a least another couple of years.-D

5) GPS address entry not functional while driving -- HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT --will never pay big bucks for crippled dealer GPS software
This is a great feature to prevent idiots from crashing into other people while fumbling with the nav trying to enter addresses. When the car is moving, the driver should be driving.
This one I agree is excessive. Can't they just make us sign the form once when we buy the car? But if I remember correctly, my portable Magellan does this every time too.

I found one small thing that I dislike, especially when travelling. Those coat hangers by the hand-holds in the second row? They're too small. Not even a wire hanger can stay in place long with those things..

I found one small thing that I dislike, especially when travelling. Those coat hangers by the hand-holds in the second row? They're too small. Not even a wire hanger can stay in place long with those things..
+1 You don't notice things like this until you NEED to use them..

Also, is it really necessary for the lights to flash so many times when you lock/unlock ALL doors?

And this car's HVAC is complete crap. Maybe it's just the sensor throwing things off and I'll have a look at that some other time.

Last edited:
BTW...does anyone else notice an oddly musty smell every time the AC gets turned on? It eventually goes away, but comes back if the car is turned off for any good length of time.

Back