Disconnect dead AC?

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
My AC compressor is dead (makes horrible noises when AC is on and puts out nothing but ambient temperature air).

Is there any detriment to keeping everything connected (excessive parasitic drag etc.) and would I be better off disconnecting the system? If so, what's the best way to go about it?

At this point I don't feel like dumping ~$500 into parts and labour to get the compressor replaced and system recharged.

Thanks!

As long as the compressor pulley bearing is in decent shape (does it make noise with the A/C off?) just unplug the A/C clutch wire and call it good.

Single wire connector located just above the compressor near the power steering pump. Unplug it, and I'd tape the harness end up so it can't touch anything.

If you want to actually completely remove the A/C system it's not difficult to do.

Thanks!

If you want to actually completely remove the A/C system it's not difficult to do.

I may want to fix it later, and if anything, I'd rather leave it in for resale in case someone else feels like fixing it. Also, I'm lazy. If it's not doing any harm being in there, then in there it stays.

Latest posts

Back