Disable daytime running lights? 2022 CX-5

Good afternoon everyone. I have a 2022 CX5 and I cannot seem to be able to disable the daytime running lights. I found a step action drill on here previously, however that is not working successfully. Is it something I am doing wrong or is there a new procedure to be able to disable them?

Thanks for the help and have a great day.

Did this to our '23 a few weeks ago. It sounds silly but I practiced the motions a few times without power on to help with the timing. I was able to get it done on the first live try.

Is there a benefit to turning off the DRL? In theory, LEDs should last the life of the vehicle. Though there are cases where premature failure occurs. And these assemblies are not cheap.

I dislike the low-beam doubling as the DRL compared to what the rest of the world gets. Even if it's running at reduced power, the sharp 6000k color temperature makes it difficult to discern any difference in brightness. Though I keep the stalk on "auto." Plus, I can only think of a handful of situations where I personally need the parking lights only.

Is there a benefit to turning off the DRL? In theory, LEDs should last the life of the vehicle. Though there are cases where premature failure occurs. And these assemblies are not cheap.

I dislike the low-beam doubling as the DRL compared to what the rest of the world gets. Even if it's running at reduced power, the sharp 6000k color temperature makes it difficult to discern any difference in brightness. Though I keep the stalk on "auto." Plus, I can only think of a handful of situations where I personally need the parking lights only.
Driving through a Xmas light display

Pulling up into a driveway and not wanting to shine lights into windows

You like the look of the signature lights and want to run only them

3 maybe.
1? I mean it's a LIGHT DISPLAY. MORE light isn't hurting anything. lol
2? They aren't THAT bright.

It gives a nice look, especially on the 2022+ headlights. They're always visible even when the sun is out, sort of like the BMW halos.
Yeah. Traditionally everyone turns their lights off because it interferes with the Christmas lights. All these mandatory lights have ruined the experience.
They are bright enough...

Yeah. Traditionally everyone turns their lights off because it interferes with the Christmas lights. All these mandatory lights have ruined the experience.

They are bright enough...
Absolutely agree. I hate it when cars are behind you, or coming toward you, in the Christmas Light drive thru with their lights on. It drowns out the experience.

Good afternoon everyone. I have a 2022 CX5 and I cannot seem to be able to disable the daytime running lights. I found a step action drill on here previously, however that is not working successfully. Is it something I am doing wrong or is there a new procedure to be able to disable them?

Thanks for the help and have a great day.
Are you in Canada?

Yes I don't want them on personally.

3 maybe.
The Signature Strip LED DRLs on your 2016.5 CX-5 aren’t too bright and good looking. I also leave them on on my 2016’s. But if I have a Gen-2 CX-5 using the low-beams as the DRLs, I definitely would turn them off.

Who wouldn't prefer this anyway?

1000018228.jpg

Who wouldn't prefer this anyway?

View attachment 324330
Those are much preferred. But only the higher trims are fitted with these assemblies. The base S through Carbon Edition trims only have these assemblies with satin trim, not the LED strips.
Screenshot_20230805_170921_YouTube.jpg

As for the assembly posted by cz5gt, those are the adaptive LED headlights (ALH). These are not to be confused with the AFS assemblies that higher trims get in the US.

Here's an explanation of how it works.

Here's a demonstration from a pre-facelift KF CX-5.

This technology recently became legal in the US. Though I don't know what manufacture offers it on their current models.

As for Mazda USA's decision to use the low beam as DRL, this excerpt from the FMVSS 108 may explain it.
Screenshot_20231106_211905_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Back