dings in front pipe

:
Protege5 2003
I noticed the other day that the bottom of the front pipe

http://protege5.ugly.net/01-15.PDF page 01152 item 4

had a bunch of dings in it. These run perpendicular to the length of the pipe. I didn't see any holes though. Presumably a previous owner did this, as I think I would have remembered any impact(s) that did that much damage. I'll try to get some pictures tonight, but I'd guesstimate the deepest one isn't bent inward more than half an inch. What's the inside diameter of that pipe? Is that much of a pinch going to restrict the exhaust enough to make a difference? The car runs fine.

pasadena_commut said:
I noticed the other day that the bottom of the front pipe

http://protege5.ugly.net/01-15.PDF page 01152 item 4

had a bunch of dings in it. These run perpendicular to the length of the pipe. I didn't see any holes though. Presumably a previous owner did this, as I think I would have remembered any impact(s) that did that much damage. I'll try to get some pictures tonight, but I'd guesstimate the deepest one isn't bent inward more than half an inch. What's the inside diameter of that pipe? Is that much of a pinch going to restrict the exhaust enough to make a difference? The car runs fine.
It should be fine. My stock pipe looked like that from being lowered and going over speed bumps and driveways. Im sure it didnt choke it off enough to restrict the flow of exhaust.

If it isn't perforated don't worry about it. People talk about mandrel bending and stuff on here, but the actual performance gains from that (or performance taken away by a ding or bend) is SO minimal you can't notice it with the butt dyno.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 692
  • IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 675
pasadena_commut said:
Here are some pics:
Yeah - it's just the heatshield. I'm sure there is no damage to the iron lump underneath, but you can undo it with minimal effort next oil change to confirm this.

edit - just saw the rusted bolts :/ Soak 'em first

Last edited:
Bala de Plata said:
Yeah - it's just the heatshield. I'm sure everything is fine underneath, but you can undo it with minimal effort next oil change to confirm this.

edit - just saw the rusted bolts :/ Soak 'em first

I concur.

only way that could happen:
drive too fast through a dip in the road and bottom out the car

TheMAN said:
only way that could happen:
drive too fast through a dip in the road and bottom out the car

The previous owner used to drive it to and from construction sites in the mountains. He finally bought a truck instead.

Back