Dilemma: CAI or Short Ram?

CasMs3

:
2008 MazdaSpeed3, True Red
just a dilemma between a Cold Air Intake and a Short Ram? i hear people say Short Ram and other say CAI? can anyone give suggestions/comments about that? and please also give which brand and what are the pros/cons of both? ty in advance for the participation....1love

People don't like CAIs(Mazdaspeed, Xcel, AEM, ect.) because they sit low in the engine bay and on rainy days can get soaked and hold back performance. SRI (HKS or Cobb) on the other hand sit higher up and avoid the rain but do suck in more hot air compared to a CAI.

There is another solution but if the red Mazda 3 in your avatar is your car it won't work since it doesn't have a turbo.

H3br3w_Ham3r,

N/A cars also have air boxes / air intakes and the less restrictive, the better the performance...

a turbo charged engine has nothing to do with it

tons of debate on this board. more than I've ever seen for some reason. my vote, CAI.

there's no denying that a CAI will suck cooler/cold air where under the hood temps take time to return to ambient temps. to some it won't matter, but for me, I sit in traffic on hot days and prefer to know that my car isn't sucking the hottest air around through first gear.

so long as you don't typically drive through 6" of water ponding on the road, you'll be fine. our CAI is no different than any other, they sit low, behind the fog light and are shielded from water spray but not from submersion. if you've had them before, you should be fine.

just a dilemma between a Cold Air Intake and a Short Ram? i hear people say Short Ram and other say CAI? can anyone give suggestions/comments about that? and please also give which brand and what are the pros/cons of both? ty in advance for the participation....1love

if you do indeed drive a n/a 3 get a cai. short ram will do almost nothing for u the reason a sri will give such good gains on a ms3 is due to the face that it go's threw an intercooler before so it is cooled down.

H3br3w_Ham3r,

N/A cars also have air boxes / air intakes and the less restrictive, the better the performance...

a turbo charged engine has nothing to do with it
Oh I know.... I was referring to the corksport FMIC. This gives you a ram airbox where the intercooler would be. The non turbo cars can't run this setup

haha yeah my avatar is the n/a 3 cus i havent taken a pic of my car yet, cus my phone is wack but i will soon, i got a ms3 o8 and now thinking about it i would probably check out the sri because of the problem that CAI might have with floods and rain and since its getting to be winter here in SOCAL i might just suffer from that...thanks for the input guys....

There is another solution but if the red Mazda 3 in your avatar is your car it won't work since it doesn't have a turbo.

my avatar is that red Mazda 3 cus i havent taken a pic of my MS3 08 True Red...haha yeah but i would like to hear your comment on the other solution....

Dilemma, no dilemma. I have said this many times, I have seen people I know hydrolock motors. I will gladly sacrifice maybe 1 hp for the piece of mind of not blowing my engine. Look in the MS6 section here, a few people have hydrolocked as well. Go SRI. You will also clean the filter more often cause it's easy to get to

Got and AEM CAI and Forge (Import Image Online bundle @ $400) installed last weekend... HUGE difference.Boost starts as low as 2400rpm and builds very strong/smooth.* Even though the Forge is a BPV and not true BOV due to recirc, it is plenty loud and sounds amazing - the "whhooooossshhh" from blow-off is awesome and the whistle is an nice touch (I can't hear the "ping" everyone talks about though - blue spring with 2 shims).Being in Austin, rain does happen, but far enough between I'm not worried about the wet - worse case I'll tape over the vents in the splash-guard in the "winter" time and avoid water crossings.

Attachments

• AEM & Forge Installed.jpg
    AEM & Forge Installed.jpg
    954.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Back