Different sized tires a problem? Also, Oak Tree Mazda sucks...

Fetish

So I introed myself and my car in this thread a couple weeks back.

As I stated in that thread, I had to take my car in to have 4 new tires put on and possibly an alignment done. I take car in, 4 tires installed, they tell me that it doesn't need the alignment and I said I'd check out how she drives on the commute home (47 miles). I notice that she's pulling to the left still. Make a note to call them back the next day. I end up being busy that day and not getting a chance to call. The following day (not even 48 hours after the tires are put on) I drive to work and notice a loud "thunk" every time I change lanes (only about 3 times) coming from the back driver's side. I pull into the lot at work and the tire's about half flat. I call the dealership and complain about the alignment and the flat, they tell me to bring it in. In the midst of checking out all the tires, I note that the front passenger tire is a different brand, but I'm so worried about the flat that I forget about it.

They call me back that afternoon and basically accuse me of hitting a curb with that tire. I tell them that I had only parked in parking lots and driven up my driveway, I hadn't had the left side tire near any curbs. He essentially says that it must have been my driveway (which I know is not the case because I don't pull all the way in, I park across the sidewalk so my back tires never even make it to the curb line) but they'll give me a new tire.

They call me the next afternoon to tell me that it's ready and I go pick her up. The tech tells me that the alignment is fine, that the tire must have been bad from the start and was causing it to pull left. Yeah, screw you for accusing me of damaging it. grrrr.

Anyway, I drive off the lot and about a mile to the freeway onramp. I hop on the freeway when I notice that my hood is bouncing. I pop off at the next offramp and pull into the first parking lot. Sure enough, my hood's not closed. First question - they're checking out the tires and the alignment, why would they need to get under my hood? I'm PISSED that they were not only under the hood, but that they didn't have the sense to make sure it was closed and latched properly. It could have flown open on the freeway in rush hour traffic!!

Today as I'm checking her out, I walk around my car and notice once again that the front passenger tire is the different brand. I look closer and see that it's a different SIZE as well. All the other 3 are Nexen 195/50/R16, this tire is a Roadstone 205/50/R16.

At this point, I'm livid. I haven't called the dealership because it's after hours, but I'll be calling tomorrow and asking for the Service Manager. Because of work, I won't be able to bring the car back to them until next weekend. Will it be a problem to drive on this 3/1 combination of tires until then? Am I doing anything horrible to my car?

What would you do if this was your car and you had this set of experiences with this dealership. No way will I go back there other than to get this tire fixed. If they can't even manage to do something as simple as install 4 tires properly, I don't want them getting ANYWHERE near any other drive train components of my car (was thinking of taking it to them for the timing belt replacement.)

Last edited:
Some alignment adjustment(s) are made at the front upper strut mounts, accessed from the engine compartment.

With one odd-size tire, the car won't perform as it was designed to--it could be unsafe in some conditions.

For the sake of readability, try to make your posts more succinct. :)

Yeah, I talk a lot. I tried to combine the "Hey! They messed up my car!" with the "Hey! Don't take your car here explanation". Thus, the bolding of the important points in hopes of cutting through some of the blah blah blah.

Keep documentation of all your visits to the dealership, be sure to write down everybody's names, and don't settle for less than what you have paid for.
I would talk to your boss about taking some time to get the tire thing handled. I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure that having mixed tires is a BAD thing. and considering that those 4 tires are a key point in the physics of driving, I would want my specs to be spot on. Good luck.

okay didnt read it all but what i got is the different sized tire is on the front? if so throw it to the back so the diff wouldnt have to compensate for the different sized tire.

Latest posts

Back