Did anyone successfully fix the cold detonation problem........

up4speed

.....by getting the TSB computer reflash done? I am getting the cold pinging problem with my engine, and thinking of getting it done. But I don't want to waste my money if it doesn't work.
Thanks

Weird. Don't know if I've heard of this problem before but detonation deffinately would be as you say, incorrect timing (via ecm).

Yeah, it is strange. It happens only when the vehicle is cold, and under slight load. There is a TSB addressing this exact problem. The TSB states that there is an upgrade to the software. I have an appointment on Monday to have this done. Unfortunately I am out of warranty, so this is going to cost me around $120. That's why I wanted confirmation that it will solve the issue. I tried the middle grade gas, and still no change. I haven't tried super, but I would hate to be forced into using that even if it fixed the problem. It would be way cheaper over time to just do the reprogram on the computer. The car was designed to work with 89 octane.

Are you sure you're out of warranty? 5 years / 60,000 miles? Yeah if you tried 89 then somethings wrong. What doesn't make sense is that they have a "software upgrade." If such an upgrade exists, why doesn't mine detonate/knock?

What makes it even more strange is that it started the knock at about 10,000 miles. I'm wondering if I just never heard it, or maybe as we approach colder weather, the gas stations put in more ethanol exaggerating the problem. Who knows?
Good call on the warranty. I wasn't covered for the silver trim because I was over the 3 years, but now that you mention it, the powertrain warranty is 5 years. That's good news!

I just got back from the dealer, they did the reprogram. So far it's good, but it's a useless test because the engine never got cold yet, plus it was an intermittant problem. I should be good now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Let us know if your gas mileage increases too with that reprogram. I'm running Fully Synth Mobile One, K&N drop-in, have larger holes in the bottom of the airbox, have basically summer tires, and yet have negligible fuel improvement. I don't understand our poor fuel economy.

Let us know if your gas mileage increases too with that reprogram. I'm running Fully Synth Mobile One, K&N drop-in, have larger holes in the bottom of the airbox, have basically summer tires, and yet have negligible fuel improvement. I don't understand our poor fuel economy.

I'm pretty sure it will not improve because my brother has a 2010 (I assume it has the newer program), and his has the exact same crappy mileage. I think the bad mileage is a combination of the vehicles weight, size, big tires add drag, all wheel drive etc. But I still think it should consistently get over 20 mpg. At this point I'm getting about 17mpg at best.

any idea what TSB covers this? when i had my cx9 at the dealer last they only said it was a known issue but there was no fix for it yet..

any idea what TSB covers this? when i had my cx9 at the dealer last they only said it was a known issue but there was no fix for it yet..

TSB 01-035/10. The dealer will flash the ECU

So far I put about 1.5 tank fulls through. I don't notice any difference in the MPG's, but the pinging noise is gone!! So far so good.

Back