Diagnose my clutch problem

MyZmZm

ShiftAccelerategrinRepeat
:
'02 Midnight Mica Blue P5
I'm baffled with all of this clutch chatter I'm experiencing, so I'd like your opinions please. For the record, the car has 87k km on it, stock clutch, I've been having the problem basically since I got the car (used, 45k km about Nov 2003), and I DO know how to drive a mtx - been driving them for nearly 15 years. The clutch isn't slipping that I can tell - no issues with accelerating, down shifting, etc. Just the damn chatter.

I will say that since I installed my 3 motor mounts (front and both sides), the chatter is more severe, but I'm thinking that's likely because the mounts aren't absorbing the shudder like they used to.

These are the problems/symptoms I'm having:
- only occurs in first and occasionally in reverse
- intermittent: any where from once in a blue moon to almost constant
- weather/temps don't seem to matter or affect it, either severity or frequency; it's as likely to happen in dry or humid, cold or hot
- will be most likely to happen in frequent stop-and-start situations, such as rush hour traffic or parking lots, BUT will happen at any time, whether the car is cold or warmed up
- generally start out/launch at 1500-2k rpm
- only way to temporarily 'fix' or 'stop' it from happening, is to either go into neutral or stay in gear with the clutch depressed, rev the engine to about 4k or so a couple times, and then slip the clutch more than usual when starting out, usually to around 2k-2500 rpm
- almost feels like the clutch isn't grabbing properly, or that it's unsure of what to do (ie, the frequent stop-start situations), like something's either spinning to fast or not fast enough, if that makes any sense

The best way to describe what I'm experiencing is like this: If you attempt to start out from a dead stop in 2nd, you'll feel the clutch try to 'grab', and you'll likely experience a little bit of shaking in the car, which you'll also feel through the clutch pedal, as the car tries to start moving. It's similar to this, but more pronounced and MUCH deeper, almost like it's coming from deep within the car. Honestly, at times when it's really bad, it sounds and feels like my car is going to shake apart - I hate to think what it sounds like outside the car. It almost feels too like the ass-end is hopping or skipping a little when this happens, it's hard to describe without experiencing it, sorry. Other than this, I have no issues with the tranny or engine that I'm aware of.

Someone knowledgeable and whom I trust thought a *slight* possibility might be a torn inner seal in the tranny leaking fluid onto the clutch... which I guess in some ways makes sense in that it almost feels as if the clutch can't properly grab (ie, slippery).

So if any of you have any ideas or suggestions, please post them up. I'd rather have too many ideas than none at all. I'm considering getting a new clutch, BUT I'm also scared that may not fix my problem.

TIA! :)

I start in 2nd alot esp. when I have passengers. It makes the ride smoother for me and them.

I do not get the shaking that you describe.

Has this car actually been serviced for the clutch chatter b/c it's an '02?

MyZmZm said:
I'm baffled with all of this clutch chatter I'm experiencing, so I'd like your opinions please. For the record, the car has 87k km on it, stock clutch, I've been having the problem basically since I got the car (used, 45k km about Nov 2003), and I DO know how to drive a mtx - been driving them for nearly 15 years. The clutch isn't slipping that I can tell - no issues with accelerating, down shifting, etc. Just the damn chatter.

I will say that since I installed my 3 motor mounts (front and both sides), the chatter is more severe, but I'm thinking that's likely because the mounts aren't absorbing the shudder like they used to.

These are the problems/symptoms I'm having:
- only occurs in first and occasionally in reverse
- intermittent: any where from once in a blue moon to almost constant
- weather/temps don't seem to matter or affect it, either severity or frequency; it's as likely to happen in dry or humid, cold or hot
- will be most likely to happen in frequent stop-and-start situations, such as rush hour traffic or parking lots, BUT will happen at any time, whether the car is cold or warmed up
- generally start out/launch at 1500-2k rpm
- only way to temporarily 'fix' or 'stop' it from happening, is to either go into neutral or stay in gear with the clutch depressed, rev the engine to about 4k or so a couple times, and then slip the clutch more than usual when starting out, usually to around 2k-2500 rpm
- almost feels like the clutch isn't grabbing properly, or that it's unsure of what to do (ie, the frequent stop-start situations), like something's either spinning to fast or not fast enough, if that makes any sense

The best way to describe what I'm experiencing is like this: If you attempt to start out from a dead stop in 2nd, you'll feel the clutch try to 'grab', and you'll likely experience a little bit of shaking in the car, which you'll also feel through the clutch pedal, as the car tries to start moving. It's similar to this, but more pronounced and MUCH deeper, almost like it's coming from deep within the car. Honestly, at times when it's really bad, it sounds and feels like my car is going to shake apart - I hate to think what it sounds like outside the car. It almost feels too like the ass-end is hopping or skipping a little when this happens, it's hard to describe without experiencing it, sorry. Other than this, I have no issues with the tranny or engine that I'm aware of.

Someone knowledgeable and whom I trust thought a *slight* possibility might be a torn inner seal in the tranny leaking fluid onto the clutch... which I guess in some ways makes sense in that it almost feels as if the clutch can't properly grab (ie, slippery).

So if any of you have any ideas or suggestions, please post them up. I'd rather have too many ideas than none at all. I'm considering getting a new clutch, BUT I'm also scared that may not fix my problem.

TIA! :)

I'm in the same boat, Andrea. The clutch will need to be replaced for sure.

I'd also suggest getting the flywheel checked for warping and remachined (obviously). I almost want to say that if it is a bad seal, you'd get the issue at all engine speeds, but check with someone that's had that problem though to be sure.

The AWR mounts (esp. with just the front and sides) will exacerbate the symptom, making you think it's much worse than it really is.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Dimitrios said:
I'm in the same boat, Andrea. The clutch will need to be replaced for sure.

I'd also suggest getting the flywheel checked for warping and remachined (obviously). I almost want to say that if it is a bad seal, you'd get the issue at all engine speeds, but check with someone that's had that problem though to be sure.

The AWR mounts (esp. with just the front and sides) will exacerbate the symptom, making you think it's much worse than it really is.

Good luck and keep us posted.
I don't have the AWR's - I have the filled stock mounts from Steve (NSN) which I absolutely love. But I know what you mean...

When you're in town (you are still coming?), hopefully she'll cooperate and you can see for yourself what I'm talking about and let me know if it is like what you're experiencing.

I did stop in at the dealer today and described the problem to the service manager - for the record, I do value his opinion; they're a very good dealership to work with. From what I was describing, he thought it was very likely that there was fluid leaking onto the clutch due to the fact that it doesn't seem to want to 'grab' properly at times. He thought either oil from the bell housing leaking onto the clutch, or a leaking rear engine seal or front tranny seal (I hope I got those two right). He did say that as soon as I opened things up, I would be able to tell if this was the case; he also recommended that I replace all the seals while I'm in there for good measure. Does any of this make sense to you guys? Note that I do not have any fluid visibly leaking, ie no spots on the driveway that I can see.

MyZmZm said:
He thought either oil from the bell housing leaking onto the clutch, or a leaking rear engine seal or front tranny seal (I hope I got those two right). He did say that as soon as I opened things up, I would be able to tell if this was the case; he also recommended that I replace all the seals while I'm in there for good measure. Does any of this make sense to you guys? Note that I do not have any fluid visibly leaking, ie no spots on the driveway that I can see.
If the fluid is contained within the tranny case/bellhousing, you wouldn't necessarily see anything on the ground. Dropping the tranny and then replacing the seals wouldn't be a bad idea if that's what suspected. If the clutch is contaminated with oil/fluid, it'll need to be replaced anyway. BTW, I'm still coming up, but my ETA keeps getting shifted around....yay...(ughdance)

Was talking with a couple local guys this weekend - both had their clutches replaced a couple years ago under the TSB (lucky bastards), and highly recommended doing mine with the issues that I'm currently having.

I've decided on the ACT street kit, but I'm debating on a flywheel. I'm not boosted - yet - so would a true lightweight flywheel be a good thing to get? I know corksport sells one that is from the J-Spec MSP and is a few pounds lighter than stock, so I'm seriously looking at that one. Also, please refresh my memory: exactly what does the lighter flywheel all improve? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Also, since I'm going to be going into the belly of the beast as it were, Ken's upgraded tranny is looking very appealing... However, I don't - and likely won't - have the $$ for that much as I'd like to, but I am wondering about the upgraded shift forks. My P5 was purchased in Aug 2001, and I do have minor issues at time grinding gears when accelerating/shifting fast, most especially 3rd. Is this something that can easily be swapped at the same time as doing the clutch? Or do you have to dig even deeper into the tranny to get at and replace them?

Back