Denso ITV22s installed - unexpected things

cboney

:
2008 Mazdaspeed3 Sport - Metropolitan Gray
So i put the spark plugs in without issue. Started her up and everything seemed good, but ive noticed that the AFR is kind of unstable. The idle and cruise AFR goes between 14.3 and 15.3 back and forth as it kind of searches constantly. There isnt much knock at all but im a bit concerned about why the AFR does that. It was MUCH more stable with the stock plugs. Also, i compared the densos to the stock plugs and noticed that they are shorter! The stock plugs are prob 1/4" longer than the densos. Not sure why these are shown as direct replacements when this is the case. The gaps were all good to go with the plugs so that wasnt it. Anyone else encountered this??

The only thing I encountered was that they were shorter. AFR's are good and stable. My gaps were too small so I had to regap them. And they can be if you have the right tool to do it.

67900clp1x11x1.jpg

Mine is different, but this is what it mainly looks like. If you use the disk type gapper, it will damage the iridium tip. I rechecked them with a feeler gauge.

So i put the spark plugs in without issue. Started her up and everything seemed good, but ive noticed that the AFR is kind of unstable. The idle and cruise AFR goes between 14.3 and 15.3 back and forth as it kind of searches constantly. There isnt much knock at all but im a bit concerned about why the AFR does that. It was MUCH more stable with the stock plugs. Also, i compared the densos to the stock plugs and noticed that they are shorter! The stock plugs are prob 1/4" longer than the densos. Not sure why these are shown as direct replacements when this is the case. The gaps were all good to go with the plugs so that wasnt it. Anyone else encountered this??

Check all your hoses just to make sure you do not have a leak anywhere. I will go take a log of my car to make sure I am not running that lean as well.

A little off topic but how much did you pay for your Denso's? I have 19150 miles on my MS3 and am thinking about replacing them, and have seen alot of people say good things about these.

On my way to work this morning I monitored the Air Fuel ratio and under normal driving it never got above 14.8 or so. Of course when changing gears it does flash up a lot but that isn't a number to be worrying about.

So like I said before check all your hoses. Also check your gaps to make sure they are ~.030"

I ordered my Denso IVT22's from SU which are supposed to be pre-gapped. The car feels like it idles and runs a little smoother, and I've had no hiccups when going WOT.

I ordered my Denso IVT22's from SU which are supposed to be pre-gapped. The car feels like it idles and runs a little smoother, and I've had no hiccups when going WOT.

Yeah the ebay listing I bought them from came pre-gapped as well, but I bought a wire spark plug gap checker doohickey just in case.

why not just leave the stock plugs? Do you have a lot of miles on the car for them to go bad? I dont see why people want to change the plugs. I would assume the stockers would last a while :)

There was someone just on here that had pictures of his stock plugs after just 6800 miles I believe, they looked pretty bad.

I got the IVT22's because they are 1 step colder than stock.

Probably the ecu readjusting fuel trims after the reset (assuming that you disconnected the battery to change the plugs... :p). After some driving, the AFR's should level off...

Ok so I definitely think that Im going to get them .. Small upgrade now saves time and money later!

"For performance applications (racing, or engines that are run under heavier than normal loads or at high rpm for sustained periods of time), switching to a slightly colder plug can minimize the risk of preignition and detonation"

Anyone with a Cobb AP should have these plugs as recommended by Cobb. I think anyone with any kind of mods should get these plugs as a little added insurance against knock. I noticed they're shorter than the stock plugs too but I don't think it's a problem because the COP's have springs in them to firm up the connnection with the top of the plug.

Anyone with a Cobb AP should have these plugs as recommended by Cobb. I think anyone with any kind of mods should get these plugs as a little added insurance against knock. I noticed they're shorter than the stock plugs too but I don't think it's a problem because the COP's have springs in them to firm up the connnection with the top of the plug.

couldn't have said it better.

Back