Decent quality motor mount kit?

Inside

So... my car recently has started vibrating more and the front has been clunking around when I go over bumps (even more than before, whee). I took a look at my motor mounts and the rubber appears to be completely shot. Link to pictures.

My options appear to be this:

KE9icA2.png

... ouch.. nothing particularly cheap on there. I was hoping all 4 could be completely swapped out for under $200, but there's no way that I am going to dump $500 on a car worth $4000...

So.. what is suggested at this point? I live in Texas so the mounts aren't terribly rusted. Should I just get new inserts and then go from there? What inserts are recommended to not have awful vibration? This is my daily drive so I'd prefer comfort over performance.

I have aftermarket front and rear motor mounts that I'm looking to sell. $90 shipped for both. They are a set of Medieval 70 durometer mounts.

Hey, What I did was get a complete set, all four from amazon for $110 shipped to my front door. I then bought the corksport inserts for the front and rear. I then bought the transmission and passenger side inserts from AWR. Go with the lowest durometer since you don't want a lot of vibration. All together I think I spent $215-225 shipped. It make a big difference. If you order from amazon make sure its for the right transmission automatic or manual.

Also if you are swapping them out on your own the passenger mount will have to get the center piece pushed out. If you need help or if you are confused on what I'm talking about PM me.

I have aftermarket front and rear motor mounts that I'm looking to sell. $90 shipped for both. They are a set of Medieval 70 durometer mounts.

I spent most of last night browsing this forum and the general consensus was that the MM were absolute trash. Although those posts were older so maybe the quality improved some?

Hey, What I did was get a complete set, all four from amazon for $110 shipped to my front door. I then bought the corksport inserts for the front and rear. I then bought the transmission and passenger side inserts from AWR. Go with the lowest durometer since you don't want a lot of vibration. All together I think I spent $215-225 shipped. It make a big difference. If you order from amazon make sure its for the right transmission automatic or manual.

Also if you are swapping them out on your own the passenger mount will have to get the center piece pushed out. If you need help or if you are confused on what I'm talking about PM me.

Do you have a link to the amazon item? I've only seen the set of 4 for the automatic transmission -- can't seem to find the manual version of them. Thanks!

Do you have a link to the amazon item? I've only seen the set of 4 for the automatic transmission -- can't seem to find the manual version of them. Thanks!

Here you go!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

From the same people I bought mine from. All the part numbers are correct. It looks like its going to be $128 shipped. It is about $18 more then I paid but still a better price then others. Also the inserts total shouldn't be no more then $120-$130 shipped. So thats almost at $250-260 to your front door.

Here is another suggestion to save you a few dollars. Check your transmission mount first. If its NOT messed up, I suggest buying the automatic transmission 4PCS set. Then email them and say you need to return the automatic transmission mount and get $25 back and shipping is only like $5 if you send it standard post lol. but that might not be worth it on your end.

Last edited:
Here you go!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

From the same people I bought mine from. All the part numbers are correct. It looks like its going to be $128 shipped. It is about $18 more then I paid but still a better price then others. Also the inserts total shouldn't be no more then $120-$130 shipped. So thats almost at $250-260 to your front door.

Here is another suggestion to save you a few dollars. Check your transmission mount first. If its NOT messed up, I suggest buying the automatic transmission 4PCS set. Then email them and say you need to return the automatic transmission mount and get $25 back and shipping is only like $5 if you send it standard post lol. but that might not be worth it on your end.

Oh d'oh thanks! I did come across that link earlier, but I thought it was a repeat of the automatic transmission one. Also it didn't say protege5 and I am not very smart.

It's hard to tell if the mount is good or bad, but the insert is definitely bad. Picture.

I guess I can always order all 4 and hold on to them. How have your mounts held up so far? How long have you had them?

So the inserts you got were these (just making sure):

Corkscrew, front & rear ($69, shipped)

AWR driver (transmission) & passenger (right) ($53, shipped, unavailable :/)

Plus mounts ($128, shipped)

=$250 total.

Not bad, about half of what they would be from the dealership... but wow, $62 for the inserts? That's.. quite the profit margin. The company that I work for sells EPDM seals for our equipment and I know what the profit margins for those, but they're nowhere near these margins o:

Makes me think I should save up and put together an aftermarket car equipment shop! (if only I knew anything about cars!)

Last edited:
Oh d'oh thanks! I did come across that link earlier, but I thought it was a repeat of the automatic transmission one. Also it didn't say protege5 and I am not very smart.

It's hard to tell if the mount is good or bad, but the insert is definitely bad. Picture.

I guess I can always order all 4 and hold on to them. How have your mounts held up so far? How long have you had them?

So the inserts you got were these (just making sure):

Corkscrew, front & rear ($69, shipped)

AWR driver (transmission) & passenger (right) ($53, shipped, unavailable :/)

Plus mounts ($128, shipped)

=$250 total.

Not bad, about half of what they would be from the dealership... but wow, $62 for the inserts? That's.. quite the profit margin. The company that I work for sells EPDM seals for our equipment and I know what the profit margins for those, but they're nowhere near these margins o:

Makes me think I should save up and put together an aftermarket car equipment shop! (if only I knew anything about cars!)

Yeah I can see the picture.

Yup those are the inserts I bought all around. I went with a little harder duro though then what you might be comfortable with. But believe me the power ( which is not much right now) gets to the wheels now. I'm not feeling like it will wheel hop too. The mounts are holding up great. I've had them in my car for 2-3 weeks now. The inserts are great too. I had some inserts from a different company in my old car and they held up for years, so I really think these will up just as long.

I spent most of last night browsing this forum and the general consensus was that the MM were absolute trash. Although those posts were older so maybe the quality improved some?

The last year that they were around it was one of the more popular mounts for the Protege. Fit, finish and they had the least amount of vibrations. They are not garbage. They are really nice and work well.

I hope you have good luck with them, I would just get OEM mounts. Every set of aftermarket mounts I have seen vibrate like crazy, even the stock style knockoffs. People love P5s, they will hold their value. Anything you invest in maintenance will pay itself off every month you don't have to buy a new car.

While the motor mounts are bad, the clunking you are hearing is from the front sway bar bushings and/or the strut mounts. If you are on a budget I would start with replacing the swaybar bushings and endlinks along with the front and passenger side motor mounts.

Last edited:
I'm starting to regret buying this 12 year old car now a little bit... It's creaking and groaning way more than I want it to. I guess I need to drop it by a mechanic and have them look at it to see what all needs to be done and then see how much of it I can do myself and how much is beyond me.

I'm starting to regret buying this 12 year old car now a little bit... It's creaking and groaning way more than I want it to. I guess I need to drop it by a mechanic and have them look at it to see what all needs to be done and then see how much of it I can do myself and how much is beyond me.

Mines like a jalopy orchestra while it clunks, squeaks and groans over every little crack in the pavement... if there is someone else in the car. If I drive it alone, it's not nearly as bad... even if I drive more aggressively. Swaybar bushings and endlinks for me as soon as the snow's gone.

So... my car recently has started vibrating more and the front has been clunking around when I go over bumps (even more than before, whee). I took a look at my motor mounts and the rubber appears to be completely shot. Link to pictures.

My options appear to be this:

... ouch.. nothing particularly cheap on there. I was hoping all 4 could be completely swapped out for under $200, but there's no way that I am going to dump $500 on a car worth $4000...

So.. what is suggested at this point? I live in Texas so the mounts aren't terribly rusted. Should I just get new inserts and then go from there? What inserts are recommended to not have awful vibration? This is my daily drive so I'd prefer comfort over performance.
If you don't like vibration, I would suggest that you NOT get Corksport motor mount inserts. They do fit great and do a good job in making a worn-out motor mount stiffer than new OEM.
I ended up replacing the front motor mount with a DEA one. The rear one, I cut down the inserts to lessen vibration, but I cut off too much material. I just didn't want the engine to sag as much. I couldn't handle the vibration of the "entire" car.

Mines like a jalopy orchestra while it clunks, squeaks and groans over every little crack in the pavement... if there is someone else in the car. If I drive it alone, it's not nearly as bad... even if I drive more aggressively. Swaybar bushings and endlinks for me as soon as the snow's gone.

Haha! I can empathize with this.

All the squeaking and groaning was irritating me so I took the car to a mechanic friend to take a look a it.

When he gets in and we drive around...? Nothing, not a single squeak. But when I'm driving a date around, orchestra of crap!

Anyway, I went with 02protege5wagon's suggestion and so far have put in the passenger and driver side mount. Practically no vibrations - no more bucking or rpm wavering at low speeds. Front probably this weekend and rear once I find a mechanic dumb enough to agree to do it.

... and rear once I find a mechanic dumb enough to agree to do it.

Lol, is it really that bad? I'm thinking I'm going to give the cheap-o Motor King mounts a try... but, yeah suspension issues are my main focus for now... sounds like somethings going to fall off the car sometimes ;)

Back