Debating whether or not to get the MS3 GT..

I didn't think the MS3 was a good choice for a first car but I didn't find anything else that was under $25k that was a good car. And my parents don't want me driving a used car...

Maybe I'll just find a dealer where I don't have to go downhill.

I live in Ventura County, California if anyone knows where that is.

Sounds like your parents have more money than sense...

(dunno)

You should be able to find a drivers school with manual transmission cars in your area...I enrolled my 15 year old daughter in one near Atlanta just a few months ago...they use a Ford Focus with dual controls...pretty cool...

(dunno)

Oh yeah sure. It was just an idea. Doesn't mean you should insult my parents. We are definitely not rich.

Anyways, I'm probably dropping the idea of getting a MS3 because there are a lot of hills and stuff where I live, not to mention the terrible traffic.

Could you guys recommend another good car under 25k? (Automatic :p)

DSG GTI I suppose... Don't get discouraged just cause there are hills around where you live! I still think the MS3 would be a great choice! Just learn how to drive stick and you're set.

The Golf?

Yeah the Golf GTI comes with a dual clutch automated manual transmission (DSG) which functions like an automatic and a manual. It will select its own gears when in drive mode (like an auto) and you can select gears via paddle shifters (like a manual). It's not a true automatic because it still has clutches instead of a torque converter like an automatic has.

Have you considered a WRX? I have multiple friends with them, and not for nothing, but the clutch is MUCH easier to work with than the MS3 clutch, IMO. Plus AWD is pretty nice if you live where it snows. (You could get an autotragic WRX, but the autos KILL those cars)

Someone also mentioned a Civic Si, which would be a great car to learn stick on. I damn near bought one, not quite as quick as a MS3, but that 8300k redline is highly entertaining, and the smoothness of their clutch/transmission is > lightyears ahead of the MS3 transmission. Definitely a decent choice to learn to drive a stick on.

(dunno)

Seems to me that this entire thread is full of this... I've been WORKING MY ASS OFF to finally purchase the car I've been waiting for for so long, and it's two years old, while some are getting the same car "handed" to them.
(don't mean to offend anyone, just sucks for me!)

Have you considered a WRX? I have multiple friends with them, and not for nothing, but the clutch is MUCH easier to work with than the MS3 clutch, IMO. Plus AWD is pretty nice if you live where it snows. (You could get an autotragic WRX, but the autos KILL those cars)

Someone also mentioned a Civic Si, which would be a great car to learn stick on. I damn near bought one, not quite as quick as a MS3, but that 8300k redline is highly entertaining, and the smoothness of their clutch/transmission is > lightyears ahead of the MS3 transmission. Definitely a decent choice to learn to drive a stick on.

I took my buddy (has the 03'-wrx) out to show him my new whip! He said that he's pretty sure the ms3's power beats the wrx and the clutch is WAY more smoooooooth... But I've yet to drive either a SI or WRX

Last edited:
...oh, if you end up getting the car- try to stay in the same mind set as --->Saskatchewan17<-----
If you don't, you're just another a$$ that causes insurance rates to be so high on our cars

MS3 is a bit harder then some sticks i have driven because of the tight clutch, but i learned on it. I had a 3 hour lesson from a buddy around an abandoned military base (Ft Devens) in his VW. Then got it a week later. The drive home was a little scary but i made it. Just take it out once you got it and take it to a parking lot for some practice. Thats what i did. You'll be fine

Oh yeah sure. It was just an idea. Doesn't mean you should insult my parents. We are definitely not rich.

Anyways, I'm probably dropping the idea of getting a MS3 because there are a lot of hills and stuff where I live, not to mention the terrible traffic.

Could you guys recommend another good car under 25k? (Automatic :p)

I'm sorry to offend your sensibilities, but if you're parents are considering buying their 16 year-old kid a brand new $25K car, then yes, you would probably be considered "rich" by most peoples' standards. (dunno)

If $25K is a lot of money to them and they are STILL considering such a purchase, then my statement holds even MORE true.

Yeah it's pretty impossible to be a 'good' driver without years of experience.

Well not good but like I pay attention to the road when I drive I don't blast my music or text while I'm driving like a lot of teenagers.

And call me what you will I'm not rich.

IMHO, if you are not coordinated enough to drive a manual, you should not be driving anyway...

IMHO, if you are not coordinated enough to drive a manual, you should not be driving anyway...

agreed. Kids my age have no idea, or desire to drive stick, yet they will blast their music till their ears bleed, do jackrabbit starts off of every light and careen into a ditch while they're texting.
There are around 400 cars in my school parking lot, 3 are stick, including mine.
I gave this girl a ride home and she noticed my shifting and said, "it's a stickshift? That sucks."

Back