Dealer Oil Change Cost

Nuzy

We just had the first oil change at 5K on our 2009 CX9. It was $40 at the dealer, but we had a $5 off coupon, so the total was $35. Maybe it's just me, but it seems a bit on the high side. I think our 4Runner usually runs around $25 from the dealer. Does the CX9 use more oil than typical or some special type?

We bought the vehicle from a dealer a couple hours away, so we can't get the free oil changes for the first 3 years deal that was offered by our local dealer when you buy from them. I'm not willing to take the car to a jiffy lube or any place like that yet (simply don't trust them), so I'll just have to deal with it, but I am curious what you all pay for a dealer oil change on your CX9s.

I don't know your about 4runner, but my local Toyota dealer charges $35 for oil change on my wife's Prius. And, it was on a discount. Otherwise, $39.
For Mazda, go to mazdausa.com and click on Owners->MyMazda and register as a owner.
Then, click on the "Offer and Promotion" in the left column.
You shall see lots of coupons offered by your preferred dealers. You can also change to another dealers. Here is an example of my preferred dealer.
$25 oil change.
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayDealerCouponsHome.action?selectedCouponId=2&dealerId=42004

Usually, the deals are better than the coupons sent from my dealer directly to me. I wonder why but I have been using them w/o questions/problems.

I think the price sounds about right. For many years I did not trust anyone but me to change my oil. Now I'm older and have other priorities, plus the issue of getting rid of the old oil. I've always had a healthy distrust for car repair and service places, but over the years I've developed a trust for my local full service car wash, detailing and service. Mr. Carwash in Houston is great, they do all the basic services, very professional and efficient. I've used them for all my cars, including the Mazda, Infiniti, Lexus, my 350z, etc. Price for oil change is about $35 but you do get a free full service car wash too.

Check out the price of a qt. of oil in the store nowadays. I think the parts alone would run you $20.

I don't know your about 4runner, but my local Toyota dealer charges $35 for oil change on my wife's Prius. And, it was on a discount. Otherwise, $39.
For Mazda, go to mazdausa.com and click on Owners->MyMazda and register as a owner.
Then, click on the "Offer and Promotion" in the left column.
You shall see lots of coupons offered by your preferred dealers. You can also change to another dealers. Here is an example of my preferred dealer.
$25 oil change.
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayDealerCouponsHome.action?selectedCouponId=2&dealerId=42004

Usually, the deals are better than the coupons sent from my dealer directly to me. I wonder why but I have been using them w/o questions/problems.

Man, I wish I would have known about this before! I registered when we bought the car, but never really explored the site much. The dealer my wife went to has a $19.99 Oil Change Plus price! Oh well, I'll know for next time. I'll have to check to see if the CX9 is part of the "some models slightly higher" note, but still a great deal. Thanks for the tip!

Other than the great coupons, MyMazda also allows you to enter and edit service and maintenance records for tracking purpose. If there is any recalls and downloadable PDF (such as owner's manuals), they will be shown there also.
I encourage everyone to register (all you need in your VIN).

I take my vehicles to a local family owned repair center that I trust. They charge me $40 for LOF and tire rotation, CX-9.

Haha...I pay $65 for my oil change (doh)
But I get AMSOIL and at a friends shop. The oil is kinda expensive but really good.

I take my vehicles to a local family owned repair center that I trust. They charge me $40 for LOF and tire rotation, CX-9.

$40 including tire rotation is a great deal, in my opinion.
If this was a Lexus, they will charge you $187 easily, not even with a loaner.
My co-worker learned that at his 1st 5000-mile service.

To be fair, Lexus wash and vacuum your vehicle. :cool:

It pays to shop around. A local shop had a coupon recently that included oil change and tire rotation for $25.

I change the oil myself. My advice to those who don't is to find a dealer or independent shop with a technician you can trust. Even dealers screw things up. A co-worker has her honda serviced at the dealer. A newbie tech changed her oil and didn't tighten the drain plug when he put it back on. She found a pool of oil in her driveway the next morning. So the dealer pays to have her car towed back to the shop only for the same tech do the same thing a 2nd time!

It pays to shop around. A local shop had a coupon recently that included oil change and tire rotation for $25.

I change the oil myself. My advice to those who don't is to find a dealer or independent shop with a technician you can trust. Even dealers screw things up. A co-worker has her honda serviced at the dealer. A newbie tech changed her oil and didn't tighten the drain plug when he put it back on. She found a pool of oil in her driveway the next morning. So the dealer pays to have her car towed back to the shop only for the same tech do the same thing a 2nd time!

Wow, unbelievable. Maybe he should find another career....

I have the hard plastic ramps that I drive my vehicle up on to change the oil. On another note, if you go to places like autozone sometimes if you buy the oil/oil filter combo you get a good deal. I bought the new jug of 6 quart mobile 1 (synthetic) with a mobile oil filter and paid something like $29.

I refuse to go and have my vehicle serviced at any place but my driveway. My father had his oil changed at a valvoline place once and they too did not tighten the drain plug. Needless to say 200 miles later down the road to Greenbay his Cadillac engine seized. I had two bad experiences myself. One I drove off down the road and noticed that my engine seemed louder. I pulled over and found that the tech forgot to put the air cleaner lid back on and as far as finding the wing nut for it, good luck. The second time the tech did not put the oil filler cap back on at all. I am speeding down the highway and start smelling burnt oil. I pulled over and openned the hood and the whole engine compartment was bathed in oil, but at least the filler cap was still wedged in the intake manifold.

Haha...I pay $65 for my oil change (doh)
But I get AMSOIL and at a friends shop. The oil is kinda expensive but really good.

I just did my first oil change and I used Amsoil and I did it myself. My course was about $56.00 It's not cheap, but if goes a long way. The next one will be about 7,500 to 10,000 miles down the ride. $65 is well worth it.

So my dealer's sending emails recommending 3,500 mile service. Mazda seems to recommend the first service at 7,500. Anyone doing more frequent than recommended service?

He's recommending that you part with some un-needed cash on your part. 3500 mile service my arse.

Last edited:
Back