Daytime Running Lights woes

chickenmom

:
2013 CX-9 Grand Touring
Hello all! I'm sure I'm not the first to have been completely shocked by this whole DRL debacle. My 2013 Cx-9 has 48,000 miles and the passenger DRL went out. I was surprised that the owners manual said they had to be changed at the dealer, but I complied. I called the 3 dealers around me (each an hour away) and they all gave me a similar estimate of $65-$70. I decided to go to the smaller dealer.
The mechanic worked on it for about an hour before they came in and told me that they cannot change the lamp, it has to be the whole headlight assembly. A cool $1300. I said (not so quietly) Holy Sh*t! Are you kidding??? Well, I'm not doing that. This is the worst design flaw I've seen in any car I've owned!
So, do I have any options? I tweeted at MazdaUSA in hopes they can help. We'll see about that.
I've seen a thread about disabling them, but it's for the CC-5. Does it work? Will it mix up any of the other lights?
Thanks in advance.

Hello all! I'm sure I'm not the first to have been completely shocked by this whole DRL debacle. My 2013 Cx-9 has 48,000 miles and the passenger DRL went out. I was surprised that the owners manual said they had to be changed at the dealer, but I complied. I called the 3 dealers around me (each an hour away) and they all gave me a similar estimate of $65-$70. I decided to go to the smaller dealer.
The mechanic worked on it for about an hour before they came in and told me that they cannot change the lamp, it has to be the whole headlight assembly. A cool $1300. I said (not so quietly) Holy Sh*t! Are you kidding??? Well, I'm not doing that. This is the worst design flaw I've seen in any car I've owned!
So, do I have any options? I tweeted at MazdaUSA in hopes they can help. We'll see about that.
I've seen a thread about disabling them, but it's for the CC-5. Does it work? Will it mix up any of the other lights?
Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have a 2010 and it doesn't have the DRLs. I did find 2 examples of what you're experiencing:
2013 CX-9 Daytime Running Lights - Mazda Dealer Quote to Repair/Replace at $1,350 !?
2013 Grand Touring Headlights LED trouble

I do agree that it's a design flaw. If I were you, I would just disable the DRLs. $1300 is a lot of money for headlights.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have a 2010 and it doesn't have the DRLs. I did find 2 examples of what you're experiencing:
2013 CX-9 Daytime Running Lights - Mazda Dealer Quote to Repair/Replace at $1,350 !?
2013 Grand Touring Headlights LED trouble

I do agree that it's a design flaw. If I were you, I would just disable the DRLs. $1300 is a lot of money for headlights.

Seems that the new CX-9s have the same "design flaw". If the bulb/light ever goes out on the headlight, you have to replace the whole assembly.

I think I would explore retrofitting HIDs before paying for an entirely new assembly.

Mazda, y u do dis

Back