Day time running lights?

Hi All,

So I had a long discussion with the master tech. Here's the results

They explained to me that their dealership does not like installing aftermarket DRL modules on their cars. They used to, but had a high failure (burnout) rate on them. So they switched to OEM relays. The HID DRLS cannot be done without the module thus having them on my fogs. My install was done by a apprentice who wasn't familiar with the procedure, so the install was not done correctly.

So they will switch it to the following. (I am not electrically inclined, so I don't really have the terminology right!)

A relay installed on the grounded parking brake circuit.
Fog lights are wired to this relay. When the there are no lighting systems on, the fog lights are powered, once the parking brakes (or any other lights including Auto function) come on, fogs turn off.
Bonus, once the parking brakes are on (turning off DRL fogs) the Fog lights are functional using the stock switch. Therefore, I will be able to run my fogs and parking brakes with no headlights as well.

I'm going to have the tech explain this to me a little better whenI go in, I'll post what he says ;)

Cheers,

Dave thanks so much for the info... I am looking at purchasing a Mazda 3 from the states and was looking into the same issue. I was just wondering on the cost of having the DRL installed at the dealer?? Also was this something you had to get done prior to getting the vehicle federally inspected at Canadian Tire? Thanks for your efforts!!!

Can anyone tell me if this DRL problem and Dave's solution above apply to the 2008 CX-9 as well ? I am considering buying a 08 CX-9 from the US and the US dealer is telling me Mazda USA has made it not possible to install DRL on the US versions of CX-9. [Presumably to discourage Canadians importing vehicles]. Hence perhaps the fog light work around...

Also, Dave, is there a way I could communicate with you off this forum privately? I am also in Calgary and would like to get as much info as possible from you about your experience importing your CX-9 from the US.

Thanks,

Randy

Why is this so hard?

Hi fellow CX-9 users!
I too am trying to get my CX-9 into Canada - I just got transferred back to Alberta and all set to make the move and I can't believe the day-time running lights are holding me up!
I am looking for the name of the dealership that did the modification to the CX-9 foglights so I can get my vehicle to pass muster. Can you please post this address or let me know how to get a hold of you to discuss by email?
The US folks have been of no help at all!!

g

Abandoned My Attempt on DRLs

My technician "bottled out", I bought the relay for him but he made 2 comments. First could not be fitted to HID lights as they should either be on or off. Typically DRLs run at 40% power. Secondly, there were complications with the dashboard lights which change.

I like the ideal of using fog-light for the DRLs, this makes more sense. Good luck.

Jabba,
Yes Crappy Tire can, but I dont' trust them anymore. The other issue is the warrenty. The warrenty is already sketchy because of the cross border transfer so there is one less this to worry about if you get the work done by Mazda.

Etoile, Thats along the lines of what I was told. The decision to go with fog lights was good. I like the way they look.

For all who want to know,
I got the work done at North Hill Mazda in Calgary, ask for Ryan the service manager he should rembember the history

Cheers,

Jabba,
Yes Crappy Tire can, but I dont' trust them anymore. The other issue is the warrenty. The warrenty is already sketchy because of the cross border transfer so there is one less this to worry about if you get the work done by Mazda.

Etoile, Thats along the lines of what I was told. The decision to go with fog lights was good. I like the way they look.

For all who want to know,
I got the work done at North Hill Mazda in Calgary, ask for Ryan the service manager he should rembember the history

Cheers,

Thanks for the information on the DRL solution at North Hill Mazda. I called Ryan today, he remembered you and the details. I live in Lethbridge, and will be driving the 120miles on the 9th of June for them to do my 2008 CX-9 GT imported from Seattle. My Lethbridge dealer keeps telling me they'll call back but haven't yet. I suspect they aren't sure how to do it given the HID lights.

Last edited:
I spoke directly with Hamsar tech support and they said that the 45035 Daytime Running Module is compatible with the CX-9 which uses a 9005 (HB3) halogen bulb in the high beam circuit. This module is designed to operate a 2 headlamp system at 60% reduced output which allow your high beams to be the DRL and ensure that you will not burn out your headlamps prematurely.
The unit is available from Terminal Supply Co in Troy Michigan @ 800-989-9632 and reference part #HS-45035.
Following the supplied directions, the module was very easy to install. I mounted the module on the driver's side rail with a single screw in the engine compartment near the relay box. There are only (5) wires that are required to connect in the wire harness: BLACK to any suitable ground; RED to the positive terminal lug inside the engine compartble fuse box (which is directly next to the relay box). Referring to the factory wiring diagram, the high beam circuit uses a RED/BLACK wire and the low beam circuit uses a RED/PURPLE wire both of which are lcoated behind the driver's side headlamp unit. There is a wire loom which is easily acessible by removing the plastic fasteners and screws which hold the inner wheel wheel splash guard in place. Removal of the entire wheel well splash guard is not necessary. You only need to turn the wheel in to gain access to the area behind the headlamp unit. You need to cut back the black plastic wire wrap to expose these two wires which are contained inside a wire loom which goes to the mylar connector mounted on the underside of the headlamp unit. The WHITE wire of the module gets connected to the high beam wire (RED/BLK) with a supplied wire tap. THe ORANGE wire of the module gets connected to the low beam wire (RED/PURPLE) with a supplied wire tap. You can then wrap everything in electric tape to restore to factory standards. Finally after all connections are secured, the GREEN wire must to wired to a 12v source which is live when the ignition key is in the run position. I used wire tap on a suitable wire inside the aforementioned engine compartment fuse box which works perfectly and does not cause any excessive current draw as the GREEN wire is merely a sense wire for the DRL. The whole process should take you less than 45 minutes and will give you complete DRL functionality in compact installation and enable you to qualify for a insurance discount on

I spoke directly with Hamsar tech support and they said that the 45035 Daytime Running Module is compatible with the CX-9 which uses a 9005 (HB3) halogen bulb in the high beam circuit. This module is designed to operate a 2 headlamp system at 60% reduced output which allow your high beams to be the DRL and ensure that you will not burn out your headlamps prematurely.
The unit is available from Terminal Supply Co in Troy Michigan @ 800-989-9632 and reference part #HS-45035.
Following the supplied directions, the module was very easy to install. I mounted the module on the driver's side rail with a single screw in the engine compartment near the relay box. There are only (5) wires that are required to connect in the wire harness: BLACK to any suitable ground; RED to the positive terminal lug inside the engine compartble fuse box (which is directly next to the relay box). Referring to the factory wiring diagram, the high beam circuit uses a RED/BLACK wire and the low beam circuit uses a RED/PURPLE wire both of which are lcoated behind the driver's side headlamp unit. There is a wire loom which is easily acessible by removing the plastic fasteners and screws which hold the inner wheel wheel splash guard in place. Removal of the entire wheel well splash guard is not necessary. You only need to turn the wheel in to gain access to the area behind the headlamp unit. You need to cut back the black plastic wire wrap to expose these two wires which are contained inside a wire loom which goes to the mylar connector mounted on the underside of the headlamp unit. The WHITE wire of the module gets connected to the high beam wire (RED/BLK) with a supplied wire tap. THe ORANGE wire of the module gets connected to the low beam wire (RED/PURPLE) with a supplied wire tap. You can then wrap everything in electric tape to restore to factory standards. Finally after all connections are secured, the GREEN wire must to wired to a 12v source which is live when the ignition key is in the run position. I used wire tap on a suitable wire inside the aforementioned engine compartment fuse box which works perfectly and does not cause any excessive current draw as the GREEN wire is merely a sense wire for the DRL. The whole process should take you less than 45 minutes and will give you complete DRL functionality in compact installation and enable you to qualify for a insurance discount on

Good info. I'm assuming that this applies to all CX-9 model years, correct?

For what it's worth, I have a 2007 CX-9. What model year is your CX-9?

I have a 2009 GT AWD but I believe that there are no significant changes in the wiring schematic. FYI, I referred to the wiring diagram from a 2008 book but to be sure, you can always use a test lamp to confirm which wires you need to tap into.

Back