Dashhawk vs. Boost Gauge question

Evolved

:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
I know a similar topic was being discussed in another thread, but I didn't want to threadjack.....SO, personally, I've never been a huge fan of having all kinds of crap added onto/around the dashboard of a car. AKA, having 10 gauges and data logging screens and all of that jazz. In light of that, I think having a Dashhawk plus a boost gauge would look far too busy for my tastes (I like to keep things simple).

My question is, for the purposes of monitoring boost pressure in my MS6, would the DH do the job sufficiently? Or do I NEED to get a boost gauge in addition to the DH (I hope not)? Any first hand experience/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Lucas--

I have both a DH and a boost gauge. The DH does not react fast enough for boost readings, plus the output is too small to watch while driving. Judge for yourself whether it's too busy.

sixtytime.jpg

vei1.jpg

Thanks for posting up! Personally, and I mean no offense, the vent gauge option isn't my taste, for some reason. If I had to get both, I'd mount the DH on the defrost vent (if that piece ends up being made) and mount the gauge on the steering column. If the DH Defrost mount ends up NOT being made, I would do the opposite (something like a block8head defrost mount for the gauge, and the DH on the column, like you have.). Thanks for the info on the DH and monitoring boost, too, by the way.

I used to think the DH was too small to read quickly at first. But I have since gotten used to it and can glance over quickly to check readings. IMO the gauge in the center console is a bit too low and i wouldnt feel comfortable looking down when doing a WOT pull or the like. I have the CP-e dash mount btw.

you can also set up the dh for alarms, so if you overboost,mine is set at 21psi, it will flash purple or whatever color you want so its easy to see in your peripheral vision

Last edited:
I used to think the DH was too small to read quickly at first. But I have since gotten used to it and can glance over quickly to check readings. IMO the gauge in the center console is a bit too low and i wouldnt feel comfortable looking down when doing a WOT pull or the like. I have the CP-e dash mount btw.

you can also set up the dh for alarms, so if you overboost,mine is set at 21psi, it will flash purple or whatever color you want so its easy to see in your peripheral vision

Do you have any pictures of the installed DH pod? I'd like to see one from the back seats if possible to show the entire setup.

I'd say if you're a lightly modded car, the DH should be more than sufficient for daily driving. If you're worried, then step up to the 3-gauge pod on the top of the map pocket and get more accurate gauges to setup.

Evolved i kind of agree with you that multiple gauges pods bother me also..but..the first thing i did was get a boost gauge and stuck it on the steering column ( see attached pic) then later i got the cobb ap and thats what i am using now for data logs...but in the future i will be getting the dashhawk and most likely sticking it in the ash tray compartment or something and doing away with the cobb ap.

But another option for you would be to get the mount for the dash like mine and buying one of these instead http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_interceptor.html ..... it just like a dashhawk but meant for gauge pods and such. the only thing it cant do is record data and transfer it to a computer like the dashhawk can. but at the same time it will be the only gauge you will need since its an all in one. another member on here ( coyfish ) has one and am very surprised he hasn't chimed in yet lol.

Good luck in what ever you plan on buying. in the end if i were you...get the dashhawk. its a great investment due to the fact that it can do data logs and the guys on this forum can always help you with any problems you may have in the future

Attachments

• 0727082140.jpg
    0727082140.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 254
  • 0514090822b.jpg
    0514090822b.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Do you have any pictures of the installed DH pod? I'd like to see one from the back seats if possible to show the entire setup.

I'd say if you're a lightly modded car, the DH should be more than sufficient for daily driving. If you're worried, then step up to the 3-gauge pod on the top of the map pocket and get more accurate gauges to setup.

not my car but same shot

Attachments

• finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 248
  • sdc10205.jpg
    sdc10205.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 249
  • sdc10204hv.jpg
    sdc10204hv.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 239
  • sdc10206m.jpg