Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and Mazda6 models

I surmised that in your original posts, Hawks. I never got the impression that you were seeking sympathy or bashing Mazda. Dont worry about him, lol. Doesnt recognize a PSA when he sees one.

...POWER that he knows should be there, but it just isn't.

So where does the POWER in question supposed to come from if the fault prevents the engine from producing the said power?
This particular fault has obviously not being identified during development and testing. Hope they either fix the hardware, or develop a special cases for different perceived faults like this one, and user inputs.
I bet that, let's say, sudden complete injector or coil failure will result in immediate limp mode. Given all available sensors inputs the computer can determine the normal driving mode and go into limp, or the panic and provide emergency maximum power by shutting faulty cylinders. But then again, for how long, what to sacrifice, etc.
I'm sure it's impossible to identify ALL potential faults and have special case for each. Hence, all OEMs default to just a limp mode.

Last edited:
ok, 25mph - 50mph ........got it , thanks

Was wondering why my mpg app would say 35mpg ! I just figured Mazda
was fudging the numbers .....

I haven't noticed a graphic on center screen for CD, but still learning stuff and will look
more closely next time

UMMM...we did not know there was a problem with acceleration. We figured that out the last time it did it. All indications were a glitch with our camera. Even the dealership that we took it to said that is what the codes showed. So driving it NOT knowing there was a problem with acceleration was our choice. Once we figured it had to do with acceleration we limped it home AND STAYED UNDER 4000 RPM. Because at that time we were closer to home and our dealership than anywhere else.

That was part of the reason why I was doubting your story at first, because your car went into limp mode 3 prior times and yet you wanted to zoom past a huge truck that was going too slow for you :). Going into limp mode indicates a serious problem whether the camera caused it or not.

So where does the POWER in question supposed to come from if the fault prevents the engine from producing the said power?
This particular fault has obviously not being identified during development and testing. Hope they either fix the hardware, or develop a special cases for different perceived faults like this one, and user inputs.
I bet that, let's say, sudden complete injector or coil failure will result in immediate limp mode. Given all available sensors inputs the computer can determine the normal driving mode and go into limp, or the panic and provide emergency maximum power by shutting faulty cylinders. But then again, for how long, what to sacrifice, etc.
I'm sure it's impossible to identify ALL potential faults and have special case for each. Hence, all OEMs default to just a limp mode.

In this case, the POWER would have been there except for limp mode. Limp mode should not CAUSE a power loss, it should be a response to a dangerous condition. If it's an unexpected/unknown error, it should not default to limp mode. There should be intermediate steps that do not CAUSE a sudden unexpected change in the performance of the car.

Safety of the driver/preventing unnecessary wrecks has got to take priority over protecting the machine.

That was part of the reason why I was doubting your story at first, because your car went into limp mode 3 prior times and yet you wanted to zoom past a huge truck that was going too slow for you :). Going into limp mode indicates a serious problem whether the camera caused it or not.

Hindsight is 20/20 :)

Man, everyone agrees that the human life and well being is more important then the machine. You just can't accept that this particular falul, and many others prevent the engine from producing the needed power, limp mode or not.

Man, everyone agrees that the human life and well being is more important then the machine. You just can't accept that this particular falul, and many others prevent the engine from producing the needed power, limp mode or not.

That's not what the OP states happened.

Yeah I understand that. The other thing that hasn't been mentioned in all of this is it is not a consistent problem. Meaning, there were many times I would accelerate and have no trouble. So that didn't help us much in trying to figure out what was going on either. After it happened in the dark and obviously the camera was seeing nothing, only then did we come to the conclusion that it had to be an engine issue and only at higher RPMs. My dash alarms were indicating camera malfunction and emergency braking system malfunction. Not one indication of engine trouble.

In this case, the POWER would have been there except for limp mode. Limp mode should not CAUSE a power loss, it should be a response to a dangerous condition. If it's an unexpected/unknown error, it should not default to limp mode. There should be intermediate steps that do not CAUSE a sudden unexpected change in the performance of the car.

Safety of the driver/preventing unnecessary wrecks has got to take priority over protecting the machine.

AMEN shadonoz! my thoughts exactly. And I bet it would be any Mazda engineer or technician's thoughts if they experienced what myself and others have experienced! In fact my dealership told me I had to take the vehicle after they recal'd the camera and we argued about the car being unsafe to drive. When I returned 15 minutes later with the video of it doing it again, I asked them to have a technician go with me on a drive and I could possibly demonstrate what was happening. They refused because all of a sudden the car was unsafe for the road!!!

I bought a 2019 CX-5 Touring on Feb 28th, 2019. In light of OP from Go Hawks(BTW..thanks so much Go Hawks for sharing your story), I am very concerned. I hope a corrective action was taken place before they sold me the car. I was not a fan of CD(though love everything else about the car), but took a chance and now came across this story.

I have a question for everyone. Does CD really kick in even when you are in Sport mode? I would think not because when you are in Sport mode, it holds rev high, giving you immediate power when needed, let you drive a little more aggressive and have some fun...so why the need to activate CD? I would think once you decided to drive in Sport mode, you are not looking to save gas. Mazda informed you in the Owner's Manual that if you drive in Sport mode, it will negatively affect MPG. So in a way it is saying that we can't promise you the advertised MPG if you drive in Sport mode. In that sense, there is no need to engage CD in Sport mode (this is just my own theory). If we can confirm CD is not activated in Sport mode, we can drive in Sport mode to stay away from potential CD troubles.

I bought a 2019 CX-5 Touring on Feb 28th, 2019. In light of OP from Go Hawks(BTW..thanks so much Go Hawks for sharing your story), I am very concerned. I hope a corrective action was taken place before they sold me the car. I was not a fan of CD(though love everything else about the car), but took a chance and now came across this story.

I have a question for everyone. Does CD really kick in even when you are in Sport mode? I would think not because when you are in Sport mode, it holds rev high, giving you immediate power when needed, let you drive a little more aggressive and have some fun...so why the need to activate CD? I would think once you decided to drive in Sport mode, you are not looking to save gas. Mazda informed you in the Owner's Manual that if you drive in Sport mode, it will negatively affect MPG. So in a way it is saying that we can't promise you the advertised MPG if you drive in Sport mode. In that sense, there is no need to engage CD in Sport mode (this is just my own theory). If we can confirm CD is not activated in Sport mode, we can drive in Sport mode to stay away from potential CD troubles.

Good question, about CD when in sport mode. Idk. However, running in CD isn't the problem. Having defective software or part in the CD system caused the problem, based on reading this thread and the service bulletin.

I thought the turbo engines didnt use cylinder deactivation? Wasnt that mentioned in an earlier post?

I thought the turbo engines didnt use cylinder deactivation? Wasnt that mentioned in an earlier post?
No, 2.5T doesnt have cylinder deactivation. OP、jjm86m、Tran7270, etc. all have naturally aspirated 2.5L on their 2018/2019 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring/Touring which does have CD.

CD only engages when there is no engine load at approx 20-50 mph.
Mazda CX-5's cylinder deactivation operates only at sustained cruising speed between 25 mph and 50 mph (40 km/h to 80 km/h).

And:
Cylinder deactivation is more effective at low speeds, improving fuel economy by some 20% when driving at a constant 40 km/h, and by about 5% at a constant 80 km/h.

AMEN shadonoz! my thoughts exactly. And I bet it would be any Mazda engineer or technician's thoughts if they experienced what myself and others have experienced! In fact my dealership told me I had to take the vehicle after they recal'd the camera and we argued about the car being unsafe to drive. When I returned 15 minutes later with the video of it doing it again, I asked them to have a technician go with me on a drive and I could possibly demonstrate what was happening. They refused because all of a sudden the car was unsafe for the road!!!

Lol. That would seem to have put them in a position where they would've had to acknowledge the issue.

Update: CX5 was dropped off at the dealership this morning. Dropped off the Service Alert that was posted here on the forum and explained the situation. As expected there was push back from the service guys since "the reflash PCM solved the issue and there are not codes being shown right now, so we can't just go checking things that aren't wrong". I countered with the fact that 1. I have the previous service receipt showing the problem has already occured once 3. The documented SA shows a known existing issue 2. I have no interest in spending more time at the dealership than I have to and I have better things to be doing (work) 3. I wouldn't be here if I felt that all aspects of the problem were resolved, and vehicle was safe to drive and 4. I'm as uninterested in chasing ghost issues as they are..

Ultimately they agreed to have a tech look at the situation but did not commit to performing the visual check. It's been almost 7 hrs and I haven't heard a peep from them. My hypothesis is that they are actually working on this in some capacity since I have their courtesy vehicle and they probably want it back asap...... To be continued.

Last edited:
Good question, about CD when in sport mode. Idk. However, running in CD isn't the problem. Having defective software or part in the CD system caused the problem, based on reading this thread and the service bulletin.

If CD does not exist, then there would be no CD related problem. There would be no CD related part failures.

Back