Damn vacuum leak!!!!

This is off topic but has anyone tried cleaning an O2 sensor? A friend of mine saud its possible but I'm not sure its a good idea. Anyone tried this?

MyGrind69 - I am having the exact same problems you are. So far, I have replaced my EGR (Canadian version), all my exhaust gaskets, the IAC solenoid, the fuel injectors, the fuel pressure regulator, the fuel pump (upgrade to Walbro 255lph), the spark plugs, the coil packs, the spark plug wires (NGK wires), O2 sensors (both), the MAF, and all the coupling/clamps on the intake piping.

BUT I'm still having the same problems. I think that although I replaced my IAC solenoid, I should have replaced the IAC valve body as well. When I changed the solenoid, I noticed some black gunk build-up on it, but I rounded out the screws that hold the IAC valve body in place, so I didn't remove it or clean it out. I think there may be enough buildup in it to interfere with the IAC solenoid and perhaps cause a vacuum leak. Not sure though.

Damian (boostdprotegelx) and I will be replacing the intake manifold gasket and the IAC valve body soon. I'll let you know the results.

Good luck! Please let me know any progress you make regarding this issue.

MyGrind69 - I am having the exact same problems you are. So far, I have replaced my EGR (Canadian version), all my exhaust gaskets, the IAC solenoid, the fuel injectors, the fuel pressure regulator, the fuel pump (upgrade to Walbro 255lph), the spark plugs, the coil packs, the spark plug wires (NGK wires), O2 sensors (both), the MAF, and all the coupling/clamps on the intake piping.

BUT I'm still having the same problems. I think that although I replaced my IAC solenoid, I should have replaced the IAC valve body as well. When I changed the solenoid, I noticed some black gunk build-up on it, but I rounded out the screws that hold the IAC valve body in place, so I didn't remove it or clean it out. I think there may be enough buildup in it to interfere with the IAC solenoid and perhaps cause a vacuum leak. Not sure though.

Damian (boostdprotegelx) and I will be replacing the intake manifold gasket and the IAC valve body soon. I'll let you know the results.

Good luck! Please let me know any progress you make regarding this issue.

yea man good luck to you as well bro, I replaced a bunch of the same crap. But you've really put some replacement time in.... I dont have the patience to change something like the intake manifold gasket then put it all back together and have it not work...f*ck that. As you know it seems to happen to both of us alot. I doubt that your iac valve body would do it but hey its worth a shot for sure....please let me know. I also noticed that no one answered my original question in this thread asking if there is a straight forward method to tracking down a leak??? smoke test or something, i mean everything else in this world today is fit for the jetsons but they have'nt come up with a way to trace a vac leak!? anyone???

I also noticed that no one answered my original question in this thread asking if there is a straight forward method to tracking down a leak??? smoke test or something, i mean everything else in this world today is fit for the jetsons but they have'nt come up with a way to trace a vac leak!? anyone???

Buy a few cans of carb cleaner. With the engine running, spray the engine one area at a time. If you experience a change in idle just after spraying, there's probably a leak where you just sprayed.

Buy a few cans of carb cleaner. With the engine running, spray the engine one area at a time. If you experience a change in idle just after spraying, there's probably a leak where you just sprayed.

thanks man, ill give it a shot, by any chance does your boost gauge needle twitch when sitting in idle? mine does. I also put in new coil packs 2 days ago. No change. Another thing is my a/f ratios seem to get richer on me as the week goes on. Ill tune with my ss afc and it will run pretty quick but as the week goes by my a/f ratio gets richer, I beleive I read somewhere on here the computer will do that when a lean cel is activated to protect the motor. Tracing back to the vac leak as that would be the source of the lean bank 1 code.

Last edited:
thanks man, ill give it a shot, by any chance does your boost gauge needle twitch when sitting in idle? mine does. I also put in new coil packs 2 days ago. No change. Another thing is my a/f ratios seem to get richer on me as the week goes on. Ill tune with my ss afc and it will run pretty quick but as the week goes by my a/f ratio gets richer, I beleive I read somewhere on here the computer will do that when a lean cel is activated to protect the motor. Tracing back to the vac leak as that would be the source of the lean bank 1 code.

I haven't noticed my boost gauge needle twitching at idle, but that's probably because my idle is so messed up and keeps fluctuating all over the place.

The engine is definitely maxing out your injectors to protect against the lean condition that it is sensing. This is causing the car to run much richer than the pig-rich condition it already is programmed with. I don't know that you should dial it back with the ssafc until you correct the cause of the lean condition. The worst thing you could do right now would be to damage internals because you forced an even leaner condition than what is there now.

I haven't noticed my boost gauge needle twitching at idle, but that's probably because my idle is so messed up and keeps fluctuating all over the place.

The engine is definitely maxing out your injectors to protect against the lean condition that it is sensing. This is causing the car to run much richer than the pig-rich condition it already is programmed with. I don't know that you should dial it back with the ssafc until you correct the cause of the lean condition. The worst thing you could do right now would be to damage internals because you forced an even leaner condition than what is there now.

didnt even look at it that way/ I WAS gonna retune tommorrow, it just sucks man driving around with the car choking on its own fuel. I gotta find this leak and with very little time on my hands its hard. I feel like a idiot changing s*** constantly with no result. Or at least not the result of fixing the leak. I refuse to beleive there isnt a better way. Im gonna do some info hunting... of course will keep anyone whos interested updated.

Back