Dad's going to be getting a new car soon, decisions, decision...

Which would you buy? (feel free to specify other in comments)

• 2008 Acura TL Type-S

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • 2008 Volvo S80

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2008/2009 Volvo V70

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • 2008 Volvo C70 T5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2008 CTS 3.6 Direct Injected

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • 2009 Mazda6 GT

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • 2008 Audi A4

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • 2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Votes: 14 43.8%

• Total voters
the g8's are amazing cars i had the privelege to drive one, luckily it has the 6.0 L rather then the crappy 5.3 unfortunately i cannot comment on reliability and such but with 100k mile warranty and depending on the price i wouldnt see why this would not be at the top.

True, but it's new market and Pontiac's building it instead of Holden so there's still a few questions regarding its ability to last that long and how its rate of deterioration is.
i understand that it's not the exact same car and some changes had to be made for this market but it is still built in oz and i don't consider it a pontiac but instead a pontiac-badged holden. i would trust reliability reports for the holden as holding true for the pontiac. also since it's been out for a few years hopefully any major issues have already been found and resolved

also fwiw employee pricing applies to the G8

<table id="informationBox" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2">2008 Pontiac G8 GT Sedan
(Select a different vehicle)
</td> </tr> <!--<tr> <td class="backgroundleft" align="right">Selected Style:
</td> <td class="backgroundright" align="left" valign="middle">GT Sedan
</td> </tr--> <tr> <td class="backgroundleft" align="right">MSRP:
</td> <td class="backgroundright" align="left" valign="middle">$29,995.00
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="backgroundleft" align="right"> Employee Price:
</td> <td class="backgroundright" align="left" valign="middle"> $27,800.20
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="backgroundleft" align="right">Your Price:
</td> <td class="backgroundright" align="left" valign="middle"> $27,800.20*
</td></tr></tbody></table>

the g8's are amazing cars i had the privelege to drive one, luckily it has the 6.0 L rather then the crappy 5.3 unfortunately i cannot comment on reliability and such but with 100k mile warranty and depending on the price i wouldnt see why this would not be at the top.
It has the 100K mile/5year warranty on it?
also fwiw employee pricing applies to the G8

<!--<tr> <td class="backgroundleft" align="right">Selected Style:
</td> <td class="backgroundright" align="left" valign="middle">GT Sedan
</td> </tr--> <table id="informationBox" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2">2008 Pontiac G8 GT Sedan
(Select a different vehicle)
</td></tr> <tr> <td class="backgroundleft" align="right">MSRP:
</td> <td class="backgroundright" align="left" valign="middle">$29,995.00
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="backgroundleft" align="right"> Employee Price:
</td> <td class="backgroundright" align="left" valign="middle"> $27,800.20
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="backgroundleft" align="right">Your Price:
</td> <td class="backgroundright" align="left" valign="middle"> $27,800.20*
</td></tr></tbody></table>
AND employee pricing!?!?!?!?!??

WHAT A STEAL!!!!
The only other issue we have with the car is that the mileage is teh suxorz (but go figure with a 6.0L V8) and even though it has a 6" screen situated in a great spot for Nav, you can't get nav on it. although, I've heard you can get the DVD, play it, and it will work...but I'm not sure if that's actually true.
Before anybody gets on this topic, he is not buying a standalone Nav system.

I can definitely see that one. lol

But white? My dad was checking out the TL-S's a few months ago and he was gonna go fro the Moroccan Red Pearl or the (best color evur) Electric Blue Pearl.

Last edited:
Having spent time in a previous gen CTS, I'd personally check the new one out. I like it's looks and handling wise I'm sure it would be a pretty good buy, though the G8 is a better value. I haven't heard much about reliability/build quality, but I do remember hearing that the sound system/nav was rather good.

And seeing your dad likes to keep his cars for a good while, I'd stay clear from German cars. They're nice, but when things start breaking, it's very expensive!!

About the German cars thing...no way in hell. They're overpriced and frankly, they're s***.

But, we have checked out the new CTS and it is nice and all but I felt that when I sat down the seats were just too close to the floor, even when I raised them up they just seemed to be connected to the frame rails or something in that arena. I don't know what he thought about it but the front end is kind of ugly. A G8 is much nicer to look at head on.

Also, I'm pretty sure the build quality is going to be the same if not better on the Pontiac since the CTS is a genuine GM car not to mention a Cadillac and if you've ever been in an Escalade and leaned on the center armrest then you'll see where I'm coming from on this whereas the Pontiac wasn't designed or though of straight from GM so I would think that it's going to turn out as a better car in the long run. Besides can you get big, hairy balls under the hood of the Cadillac? I don't think so.

Great news!
I went with my dad to look at the G8 GT and I don't know about him but I loved the fit and finish (as much as one can love a car from GM). But in all seriousness the car actually seemed like it was held together with nuts and bolts instead of double-sided sticky tape and crazy glue!(dance)

Then we drove it...and boy did I drive it, my dad took it kinda easy when he was rolling around in it but even though I drove maybe 0.1 miles, I really wanted to know what a 361HP 6.0Liter V8 felt like...and boy it felt good. I was cruising maybe 15MPH and then put the pedal HALF way to the floor, the car downshifted twice and I hit around 4,500RPM and was at 50 in about .5 seconds. To sum it all up, it is helllllllllllllllla nice and anybody who hasn't gone to check one out should check it out and give it a nice little test drive, the GT model that is.

Then we went to Acura to compare the feel of the G8 to the Type-S and the S is much more refined but there are near to none left within 300 miles of our dealer. The dealer had 3 black on black TL-S's left in their inventory and they could've gotten another dealer to trade for a Moroccan Red or Electric Blue S if they could find one.

Kind of a sad ending to a good day of looking.

Back