D Prepared Miata Build

All indications are that the install's going well. Speaking to Kevin last night, after removing the tar from behind the center of the dash (seen HERE) it made an ideal location to mount the MS (also, weight reduction w00t!), and give it at least some protection from the elements, tucked under the cowl. The only part missing , IIRC, are going to be a throttle body from a 1.6L Automatic Miata, as they had real TPS sensors that the MS can use for Accel enrichments. We'll pick one of those up from the Pull-a-Part this weekend. Then the rest of it is wiring and mounting the switch-gear for Kevin. Amazing how easy it sounds when someone else is doing it LOL. But then again, if you ask me all electronics operate on the principles of smoke, mirrors and magic (mostly smoke), so it's really best that I'm not handling this bit on my own.

for sure it is in good hands. ive read his threads on here. he works magic all right!

Here's as far as I've made it on the car. I think I've got a plan going forward so progress should quicken from here.
73644_720287895371_25010126_39606278_657576_n.jpg

66602_720287581001_25010126_39606273_3311001_n.jpg

Couple of progress pictures from Kevin:

Megasquirt & ignitor mounting location:
DSCN1485.JPG

HOLY PILE! Anyone curious about just how much wire a miata can do without?
DSCN1486.JPG

Met up w/ Kevin at the scrapyard today to pick up a 1.6L Automatic throttle body for the MS to use for Accel enrichments (the auto TB has a real TPS, as opposed to the on/off TPS that the manual cars use), and a handful of relays. According to Kevin, he's got everything he needs to button this thing up in the next week or so :D

Did you happen to weigh it?

The main engine/lighting harness alone is 17 lbs and change. That doesn't include the sound deadening, air intake piping, air meter, computer bracketry, air bag modules, dash harness, rear lighting harness, and a host of other things that were removed.

The new harness that is going in is no more than 5 or 6 lbs with the MS attached.

Yep, all the wiring I pulled was around 20 lbs.

My build is going on hold for a bit. The truck's heater core decided to give up the ghost at VIR this weekend. (Was crewing for a friend at the 13 hour)

I count 6 supervisors and one guy working, probably a government or union job. (usa)

Hey! There were two guys working! Or Well you know I do work for the state...........

The windshield removal was the main event for our local sports car club Christmas party. No, drinking and power tools don't mix, but everyone walked away with all their fingers.

plus one guy hiding in the back so it is still 6 not working but 2 guys working

Any more updates on this...I just bought another NA for $700, main reason is it had a new softtop with glass window and I needed one for the other NA, but we had been lookiing for another car to AutoX other than the P5...where do you recomend looking for the best free power adders/cheap mods...taking out unnecessary out of the bay, AC, PS, Heater, ect...it is trashed cosmetically, so will be a great project...

I'll let ya'll know as soon as I have anything lol. Pretty sure Kevin's beat to hell after thrashing to get the LeMons car done at the end of the year for the Long Beach race

By all accounts, the car SHOULD be ready tomorrow. And with any luck I'll be picking it up Sunday or sometime early next week. w00t! I can't wait to get 'er back :D Apparently it's just a matter of installing a fuse for the wideband and the sensor itself, the gauge cluster and mounting the MS itself. So yeah... pretty friggin excited. Also looking forwards to terrorizing the neighbors doing some data-logging with it lol.

I really do need to find a "testing" site nearby where I can play with it unmolested. Time to befriend some local business with a big parking lot I suppose.

Also I picked up a set of full tread Continental Tire Challenge wets for $150 shipped in 225/45/15. Apparently a tire shop down in FL picked up a boat-ton of take-offs / left overs / scrubs after the Roar Before the 24 (test days for the Daytona 24 Hour) and was offloading them. Freakin' score! They're basically a non-DOT version of the Hoosier Wet:

ho_molded_radial_wet_ci2_l.jpg

Back