cx9 bumpy ride

jodham

:
madza cx9
My new 2017 cx9 touring model with 18 inch wheels has very bumpy ride. Very uncomfortable around town or on the road. Would not purchase again for this reason. Driver seat also uncomfortable. Madza promotes the handeling of this vehicle but the handeling does not make up for ride discomfort. The ride beats you up on a trip.

What did you drive before this? A old Cadillac?
I had a Chrysler LX, and it was a comfortable ride. CX-9 matches it in ride, exceeds it in handling.

Double check your dealer didn't accidentally leave 50 PSI in your tires.

Surprised you did not notice this during the test drive?

I would want to know what tire pressure you are running also as BIBS previously suggested.

This makes no sense, especially with the 18's. Even the 20's are very smooth. The driver seat is very comfortable.

255/60-18 tires have an outside diameter of 30"
255/50-20 tires have an O.D. of 30.2"

Both will roll as easily over bumps; the wheel size makes no difference. The 60-series tires will flex more easily over bumps offering a possible better ride. My CX-9 with 20" wheels does not have a bumpy ride. I find the seat comfortable. If it doesn't fit you with all its possible adjustments, a good upholstery shop may be able to make changes in the seat shape and reuse the original upholstery cover.

Do check the cold inflation pressure. Follow the sticker on the door jam.

255/60-18 tires have an outside diameter of 30"
255/50-20 tires have an O.D. of 30.2"

Both will roll as easily over bumps; the wheel size makes no difference. The 60-series tires will flex more easily over bumps offering a possible better ride. My CX-9 with 20" wheels does not have a bumpy ride. I find the seat comfortable. If it doesn't fit you with all its possible adjustments, a good upholstery shop may be able to make changes in the seat shape and reuse the original upholstery cover.

Do check the cold inflation pressure. Follow the sticker on the door jam.

Outside diameter doesn't make the difference, but the wheel size does when it effects the sidewall height. Generally the bigger the wheel, the shorter the sidewall height in order to maintain overall diameter.

In the case if the CX-9. The 18's DO offer a softer ride because of the fatter tires. May not be much but there's a difference.

Tire pressure is ok 34lb. It is the stiff suspension. feel every bump in road. tires balanced. Just the nature of the vehicle. I did raise the headlights as beam was too low. My other suv is lexus rx. Should have stayed with lexus

Tire pressure is ok 34lb. It is the stiff suspension. feel every bump in road. tires balanced. Just the nature of the vehicle. I did raise the headlights as beam was too low. My other suv is lexus rx. Should have stayed with lexus

That's why you think it's stiff and bumpy, you're used to a soft Lexus. You can't have a very soft ride and great handling. It's like complaining about your Lamborghini's fuel economy and saying "I should've stayed with the Prius".

Back