CX5 vs Forester XT

New FXT is bigger and has more amenities than the prior years because that's what buyers are looking for. I also can't stand the CVT but it seems to provide fuel efficiency that again certain buyers are looking for.

No kidding. I was bummed when I saw how much worse the new XT performed. What would happen if the c8 corvette came out and was a rule second slower in the quarter or to 60? Derp!

Last edited:
New FXT is bigger and has more amenities than the prior years because that's what buyers are looking for. I also can't stand the CVT but it seems to provide fuel efficiency that again certain buyers are looking for.

At least here I see mostly 2.5i Foresters and only a few XTs. IMHO, for this type of vehicle, 2.5i is the smart buy, or better yet, a CX-5 :)
If you like power, perhaps a WRX with manual.

I previously had a 2014 XT ( had about 33k when I traded ), my thoughts :

1. Engine power is superior on XT ( this is obvious )
2. Seat comfort is much better on the CX5
3 No comparison on this one, XT handles like a boat with zero road feel
4. Interior is much more refined on the CX5
5. AC on Subaru was one of the worst I have ever had , my CX5 cools down in about 5 minutes

Also my XT had a mysterious coolant issue , had to top off the recovery tank every 6 weeks with about 4oz of coolant, dealership could not find anything , possible head gasket issue down the road ?

Last edited:
Just in case anyone is interested, here's spec on 2017 updated Forester:

http://media.subaru.com/pressreleas...ester-offers-advanced-safety-features-greater

turbo-3.png

I previously had a 2014 XT ( had about 33k when I traded ), my thoughts :

1. Engine power is superior on XT ( this is obvious )
2. Seat comfort is much better on the CX5
3 No comparison on this one, XT handles like a boat with zero road feel
4. Interior is much more refined on the CX5
5. AC on Subaru was one of the worst I have ever had , my CX5 cools down in about 5 minutes

Also my XT had a mysterious coolant issue , had to top off the recovery tank every 6 weeks with about 4oz of coolant, dealership could not find anything , possible head gasket issue down the road ?

I disagree strongly about the AC in the CX5. Heating/cooling in the CX-5 are terrible even by 80's standards, in my book.

I disagree strongly about the AC in the CX5. Heating/cooling in the CX-5 are terrible even by 80's standards, in my book.

I don't understand this at all. The AC cools and the heater heats. what else should they do? It seems to heat up quicker then my 02 Audi did and that was fast. The temperature settings work and seem accurate. The controls are clear.

I didn't even know I didn't like it. Wait, I do like it.

I don't understand this at all. The AC cools and the heater heats. what else should they do? It seems to heat up quicker then my 02 Audi did and that was fast. The temperature settings work and seem accurate. The controls are clear.

I didn't even know I didn't like it. Wait, I do like it.

Warm up in less than 10 miles on the freeway. Blow harder through the vents and weaker through all the holes in the dash and vents you DIDN'T select. It is a crappy system compared to even my 1988 mustang GT.

Warm up in less than 10 miles on the freeway. Blow harder through the vents and weaker through all the holes in the dash and vents you DIDN'T select. It is a crappy system compared to even my 1988 mustang GT.

I don't know if I would go that far, but the heating and cooling performance of the CX-5 is not for extreme hot or cold weather. The seat heaters, the heating, and the cooling are inferior to my 2010 Mazda 3. But as I pointed out in a previous post, they are accessories, not the main event.

Back