CX5 2017 Luggage/Cargo/Trunk Light

:
Mazda, CX5 / 2017
I bought my Mazda CX5 2017 four months ago and last night I noticed that the cargo light is not working (working fine about 2 weeks ago). Is it possible that the bulb is burned out after only 4 months?

My assumption is that something rolled around the trunk and hit light cover really hard or just a bad bulb.

User manual shows how to replace the luggage compartment light but I am afraid to break the cover (tried this morning but seems really hard and I might scratch it).

So I finally managed to get that weird hard cover out (I was so afraid to break it), putting a soft cloth around a small Flathead screwdriver made it difficult. Anyway, Canadian Tire only had regular lamps (no LED) so just want to see if it was the lamp or wire issue. If it burns out within couple of months, then it could be a short circuit.

Still very strange to change a cargo light on a 4 month old car, I might ask the dealer see what they say!!!

P.S. SYLVANIA brand lamps made it little brighter in the trunk.

So I finally managed to get that weird hard cover out (I was so afraid to break it), putting a soft cloth around a small Flathead screwdriver made it difficult. Anyway, Canadian Tire only had regular lamps (no LED) so just want to see if it was the lamp or wire issue. If it burns out within couple of months, then it could be a short circuit.

Still very strange to change a cargo light on a 4 month old car, I might ask the dealer see what they say!!!

P.S. SYLVANIA brand lamps made it little brighter in the trunk.

Shorts in a circuit will not blow out light bulbs but will definitely blow fuses.

No doubt, it was a faulty bulb. It happens.

Go on the internet and look up LEDs for your vehicle. They provide much more light and if they are of good quality, will last longer than your vehicle.

One of the first things I do when I get a new vehicle is to change out every incandescent bulb for an LED, inside and out.

Shorts in a circuit will not blow out light bulbs but will definitely blow fuses.

No doubt, it was a faulty bulb. It happens.

Go on the internet and look up LEDs for your vehicle. They provide much more light and if they are of good quality, will last longer than your vehicle.

One of the first things I do when I get a new vehicle is to change out every incandescent bulb for an LED, inside and out.

Do you have any specific LEDs you particularly like?

I see single LED bulbs for $25, and I see a kit with enough LED bulbs to replace every interior light for $12. One would assume that there's a big difference in them.

I've never used an LED in my vehicles...it never really occurred to me.

I have to agree that it was probably just the bulb. Nothing to worry about I suspect.

This is not really related, as my SUV is an older Nissan Pathfinder, but I go through dome light bulbs like cheap beer.
Every few months I replace at least one of them.
I also replacing them with cheap Canadian Tire bulbs, which probably doesn't help, but at this point in time, there's no good reason to start installing LED's. Oh well.
Cheers.

Superbrightleds.com
Best place imo to get them. Lets you choose the colors of your LEDs. Warm, cool, hot. Do not buy from anywhere else. I bought Amazon ones and they were awful. Far too bright and stark. I was all "why do people like these?"
Someone suggested those Super bright warm ones. So much better.

Last edited:
Superbrightleds.com
Best place imo to get them. Lets you choose the colors of your LEDs. Warm, cool, hot. Do not buy from anywhere else. I bought Amazon ones and they were awful. Far too bright and stark. I was all "why do people like these?"
Someone suggested those Super bright warm ones. So much better.

Thanks for that.

Yeh, it was an Amazon hit that had those "entire interior set for $11" bulbs.

It's weird, you look at the selection, the designs are so radically different. They look like entrants in a science fair.

In the 70s I installed commercial security systems, and we used single and tri-color LEDs for the customer-facing controls. Sure have come a long way. Back then they just glowed and were used as diodes...there were no lumens to speak of.

By the way, have you ever purchased from CARID.com? Every time I search for Mazda parts, these guys keep coming up. https://www.carid.com/2018-mazda-cx-5-parts/ I've never heard of them before.

That bulb was super easy to replace. Now the hard bulb to replace was the license plate light. It was easy in the first gen but second gen it was very hard (replaced all bulbs with LED, except reverse lights those were already LED)

That bulb was super easy to replace. Now the hard bulb to replace was the license plate light. It was easy in the first gen but second gen it was very hard (replaced all bulbs with LED, except reverse lights those were already LED)

What made the license plate bulb hard?

You got any helpful tips?

I don't think it was easy on my car. Definitely the hardest one. Those stupid white covers....

Well, my new bulb from Canadian tire is burned out too. Dealer told me is not normal to go through 2 light bulbs in 7 months. Warranty covers any problem with wiring, shortage or * but if they find nothing is wrong then it'll cost me 125.00 !!!

Should I try changing it one more time with those LED bulbs from Amazon (DE3175 led interior lights dome light bulb for car 3175 led bulb- SEALIGHT 4014 Chipset Canbus Error Free DE3021 DE3022 31mm 1.25 inches bulbs 6000K Xenon (S2)) for like 11 dollars?

I replaced mine with an LED in it's first year. The LED has worked without problem for more than 2 years now. I don't know if your model year has the same bulb as mine. I got mine on eaby.

Back