CX-9 Intelligent In-Dash Navigation

Andy_D

:
2012 CX-9 Touring
Hi, has anyone installed one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I have a 2012 Touring edition that has the base (Type A) audio. Also they have this system down as a Pioeneer (not Pioneer). Is this a some questionable Chinese stuff trying to masquerade as a reputable electronics company? It all sounds good.... drop in replacement that keeps most/all of the OEM functionality.

Is his the real deal. and if you used it how did the install go, and how do you like it?

I guess the question is....Is this really a Pioneer? There are others selling what appears to be the same thing by other Amazon partners as well as on eBay. But I can't find this on Pioneers website nor can I find model numbers anywhere on these websites. Hoping I'll get some info soon. The price looks much better than the $1,000 or more I've seen for other units.

OK, I found out what this unit is it is. The manufacturer seems to be a company named ALFA OTTO and the Model is #MZ07C9-7134GPS Specs are here;

http://www.alfaottoparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=99_105&products_id=448

Also, found another here with some more info. Looks like there are at least a couple of variants the most recent of which are 3G internet capable. I will keep researching this and post back if I can find out more. here is another newer variant maybe?

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Personally, I think it's a mistake to assume that the Amazon seller is actually selling anything close to what is described or pictured. If you buy, be sure to pay by credit card, and not bank account debit, so you can contest the charge with your credit card company if you get something wrong. At least the eBay seller has a good feedback record.

I found this one on eBay for $350, It is an Otto Navi Made in China. Called and talked to a Rep at the place that is selling themand he said the units are supposed to be pretty much plug and play, and any connectors or cables are included in the box.

I also found some reviews on the Otto Navi Units for other vehicles (lots of Toyota reviews) Most were generally positive, many of the negative reviews were small nit picky items like not being able to get a certain feature to work. A couple of reviwers received some DOA units, which they sent back under warranty. Anyway, I figure for the money I can live with any small issues that crop up, and if it has major flaws it will go back. Now to find a suitable Back-up Camera.

The one Andy has linked to is not for Mazda CX-9.
I am also interested in one of these. Have been playing with the idea of putting a Kenwood in my 2010. The rear-view camera, but also use radio all the time, so want something with good reception. Some of the Kenwoods have HD radio and also traffic, but the cost is $300 more and it is also not plug and play, so added cost to buy PAC interface/etc. Keep this thread alive and post experiences.
Also, I think anything I can get my hands on would be made in China.

Actually the one I ordered is for the CX-9. Apparently they sell so many of them that they had a typo and got the pictures of one mixed up with specs from another. I actually called and asked. I will let you know how it turns out when it arrives.

OK, My GPS head just arrived with UPS today. Here are some pic of it;
20130617_183856.jpg

20130617_184129.jpg

20130617_184446.jpg

I will install soon once I find some good instructions for removal of the dash trim so i don't break anything. I've learned from past installs that it helps to know where the clips are and the proper method for popping them loose.

Now I have a question for anyone who has installed one.All of the inexpensive cameras that I am able to find for the CX-9 appear to be surface mount cameras similar to this one;

Many that I have seen mount into the hole for the license plate light. I like the idea of the wireless if it will work well and from reviews I have read it seems the wireless cams do. I'm not really wanting to pull cables if I do not have to. I'd also like to avoid making holes in my vehicle if it is not ness. Please post a link to a good camera source if you have used one that you can reccomend and that does not require making any new holes to install.

From what I have read, the wireless cameras have interference and drop out. In my case, I have decided to just wire it. I think the most difficult part is the tailgate, the rest could probably be tucked under the trim.
Keep us posted on the unit quality/function. I want to see if it has the function for gas mileage & clock preserved and also radio reception quality in addition to any other info.

I have installed the system. I have not had the time to play with enough in detail at this point.

The radio reception seems good. All of my usual stations come in well, but I have not gone on a trip out of town to see what kind of range it loses reception at. The GPS/Nav module has a gas miliage function but I have not yet used it. I was disapointed in the media player for the SD card as it seems to lack any way to sort music by way of artist, genre, or even a file explorer to select your music. It just presents it as one long list. The steering wheel controls for phone control I have not completely figured out yet. I seem to be able to hang up on a call and it comes over the speakers as it should. but I've not had any luck initiating a phone call though the buttons on the unit itself work fine. Voice recognition does not see to work anymore as that was likely built into the factory stereo. (not that big of a deal for me though). GPS I think is based on something derived from Garmin. I have not played a DVD yet. The people from Otto Navi told me there is setup menu item that will allow for playing a DVD with the vehicle in motion but I have not found it yet. I have not yet installed a camera. at some point in the future I am planning to upgrade factory speakers and (possibly) install an amp. Need to do more research on this. I have been busy with Home renovations so this has taken a back seat at the moment. I will try to post a detailed review once I have fully learned the system.

Overall impression: Not bad for the money. Nice asthetics, looks like it was a factory unit that was meant to be there, not a retrofit. Install Directions are skimpy and getting technical information from Otto Navi was like pulling teeth. They initially said they don't give tech support or advice and that I should take it to a professional installer. I was persistent with my questions and told them that even a professional installer might have questions because they did not include any technical information whatsoever besides a very rudimentary wiring diagram, and that competitors like Pioneer, Kenwood or Alpine all provide a wealth of technical info. They finally put someone on the phone who answered my questions.

Thanks for the update. It seems like I have to weigh the pro/cons of the look vs function. Might buy a Kenwood vs ottonavi. Will see.

Latest posts

Back