CX-9 Audio: Very Disappointed!

So I bought my wife a 2015 CX-9 GT without the Tech package. Very disappointed to find out that the Sirius/XM module was not included (brochure said "XM Ready", I assumed that meant I just needed a subscription). Call the dealer to find out that the XM module is $550 installed. That's highway robbery, I figured we would get by without it.

The problem is that the "HD" radio is absolutely awful. Sounds like it's playing in a mud-filled hole most of the time, until "HD" kicks on, at which point it sounds fairly decent. Unfortunately, this accounts for maybe 1% of the time the radio is on. The rest of the time, it's terrible.

I can change the speakers, assuming that's going to help anything. But the real question is, is there a better head unit available that will maintain the factory look as well as the Bluetooth capability and rear backup camera and give me better audio quality? I am also hoping for a cheaper Sirius/XM alternative than the factory setup.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

HD radio isn't high definition like with a tv. While it does help with quality it divides the fm band into more channels (like getting an analog convertor box for your home television) - you'll get 97.1 (1) main channel (2) auxiliary channel and had on screen display of song/channel info.

Our 2013 sounds great, not sure what they would have done differently since then but I suppose it's possible they made adjustments.

You can get a XM onyx EZ receiver, find them on ebay for around $25. Then just get your XM subscription ..

Changing the speakers will help. I plan on doing this to our's, the only problem is ours is it's quite, I need to crank it up so I can hear any thing.

Latest posts

Back